A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e-Learning Forum

e-Learning Forum

It was talked about awhile back, but I think we really need it now.

On some of the bigger technical e-Learning forums (ADL, Lotus Developer Domain) lots of threads are popping up with Flash and DW questions.

There's a lot of stuff you need to know to get your Flash content to work right, and a lot of issues specific to building assessments, reusable objects, navigation that crop up.

I do Flash for e-Learning, along with SCORM integration and LMS administration, nordberg does a lot of content-related Flash.

The two of us think we could handle most of these questions, and it also solidifies Flashkit as a truely comprehensive Flash resource, since Flash is quickly becoming a de facto standard for e-Learning content development.

So how about it?

PM/e-mail nordberg or myself if anyone needs more info.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Civilian
    PAlexC, can't do this. If we start opening a forum for every possible use of Flash we'd never be able to keep up. We're trying to keep the list at 50 forums total.

Starks,

Ok, I can understand that.

I don't mean to be disrespectful or be a jerk, but I'm going to try and post a decent argument anyway in the hopes that while the rule you provided makes sense and should hold true, there will inevitably be cases where a new forum on a topic would be a big plus.

Again, I don't mean to whine and complain.

Flashkit has forums for different implementations of features in Flash, Math and Physics specific programming, Game programming, Animation speicific issues, 3d, fonts even anime.

This is because not only is a general knowledge of Flash necessary in those fields, but because there are a lot of specifics that pop up.

Do a search for e-learning in the major forums, and you're going to see a lot of threads pop up. (Boardroom alone yields 32 results.) Flash is also popping up in some of the few e-Learning forums that exist, and there is no one to provide answers for these folks, because most people on those forums are sysadmins who don't know anything about the content end.

e-Learning requires specific knowledge around creating tracked assessments and exchanging data with specific systems. Macromedia as well as other 3rd parties have numerous extensions and templates for this purpose, though they're not always easy to use.

Couple this with the fact that it's difficult to get reliable, easy to understand information on the standards used by the e-Learning industry, as they're not taught in schools and few, if any books are available.

Flash is also becoming widely accepted as the content development tool of choice for courseware. There are many Flash programmers out there who now have to build content, but have no idea how to make it "work."

So that is the argument I put before you. I can completely understand Flashkit not wanting to bog down it's environment with 100 different forums, but based on the polularity of the tool in the industry, the recognition of the tool being important to the industry, and the general lack of resources on the industry, an e-Learning specific forum for Flashkit makes a lot of sense.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

dear mister and mrs flashkit,
    I too would like to see an E-Learning type forum..
    I have been developing course content in flash and have been
    hit by the SCORM like a ton of bricks and am having trouble
    getting my head around it..
    PAlexC and the crew(you legends) have provided some measure of relief from
    my confusion but i had to do a mega-search to find the info
    on it..
    `
    to sum up ...
    please please please give us an elearning forum...
    best wishes
    steve

We could have such interesting threads as:

- How do you get your Flash content to read LMS data through HACP, when HACP is designed only for 1-way communication?

- What is the worst LMS you've ever used?

- How do I talk to the SCORM API?

- How do I find the SCORM API?

- Aren't there API's for AICC?

- Help! I'm using (insert LMS name here) and nothing works!

- Help! I'm using IBM/Lotus LMS and it caught on fire!

;o is it just me, wtf are u talking about ??!? Regular flash or some advanced server-side languages lmao ????? Pardon my nubiness ;p
    consultant / contractor / designer

Flash can be used to create e-learning content, quizzes, tutorials, etc.

There are standards for tracking user interactions, such as scores, completion, bookmarks, time spent in the e-learning industry. There are different standards for impementing the tracking standards as well.

Server applications that track using these standards are called learning management systems.

Learning Management Systems don't always play nice with Flash.

ahhh ic ic, thnx !

I suggest creating a forum on a site that isnt fully-used up, if you are looking for a suitable forum web hostess, feel free to msg me. Other than that, maybe you should try suggesting to another flash site to host a forum section for e-learning.

Just made a forum for us

Hello y'all
    I Have just created a forum for elearning in flash on my
    phpBoard... No-one much is using it and i have enough space..
    it is at :
    `
    http://www.video-animation.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=6
    ~
    I have already posted some of Palexc's questions ...
    I need to know the answers to them too...LOL..
    maybe a faq would be a good idea...
    (hint hint):-)
    So youse are all invited over to my place to play..
    best wishes
    steve

Thanks for setting up that board Steve.

I'm just getting around to filling out answers to those basic questions that people have.

I'm using the same handle on your site.

Please people, if you have e-Learning questions, check out that thread. I've bookmarked it and will try to check it at least once a day to answer questions.

thanks alex
    youre a legend...
    funny thing is i did all this research on the scorm and then
    i got laid off..LMAO
    but once they realise that they have to comply...
    all hell will break loose...LMAO again
    thanks once again al
    steve

I agree there should be a separate forum for SCORM and LMS questions

Sigh...

I think it's unfortunate that flashkit killed the idea of an e-learning forum. I have posted a few e-learning questions on this board and have received no replies for any of them. If flashkit really wants to be the destination of choice for all things flash, I would recommend that you not ignore this extremely important, and misunderstood, segment of the flash market.

I'd appreciate a forum on e-learning too. I tried searching other forums and just found really out-of-date postings, some with no replies.

I've checked Steve's forum but the few questions it contains aren't all answered.

PAlexC please could you suggest a Flash Kit forum that we can all use to ask e-learning questions (e.g. Flash MX or General Help). Otherwise could I PM or e-mail you with my questions?

I did suggest a Forum. Starkey said no, but at least gave a decent excuse. However, if we create enough demand it may just work...either that or hold his mullet hostage.

But by all means, PM me if you have e-Learning questions. I'm more than happy to help.

Originally posted by ferdymania
    thanks alex
    youre a legend...
    I'm holding you to that statement.

Thanks PAlexC

I realize that we can't have a forum devoted to e-learning yet but in the meantime if we could agree on another forum (e.g. Flash MX or General help) to post our questions then at least those of us interested would all know where to look.

Anyway I'll just PM you ...

hey al
    you are still a legend..
    Still welcome to use my forum..
    i just dont have enough knowledge to answer the questions.
    I dont have my job anymore
    I just received a letter the other day telling me
    i will be placed on a list ..
    ummm i think it was a year and a half after my interview
    for the job.,.. that i was just laid off from...
    if you can work that one out..
    two words...
    educational institutions

tsala et al..
    u just have to ask the questions and alex will
    anser them
    and i will get a spellchecker..
    byee
    steve

Steve,

Sorry about the job. Tough times.

I bookmarked your forum, and posted a couple detailed repsonses. When I have more time I'll get some more detailed answers up.

In the meantime, I haven't seen any posts there. I will check it a couple times a week.