A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ---=Quark Questions=---

---=Quark Questions=---

I am making a quark document that i will be turning to a pdf. I am trying to set it up so that you will see facing pages(2 pages right next to eachother) is it just as simple as making the document with facing pages in quark or is that done in changing it into a pdf?

also, i was messing around with another quark document, turning it into a pdf...but the images all looked like crap...is there a way to make it look good. what is the best way to do this. is there a way to just turn the file into a postscript file?

thanks in advance

Re: ---=Quark Questions=---

Originally posted by Astroflux
    I am making a quark document that i will be turning to a pdf. I am trying to set it up so that you will see facing pages(2 pages right next to eachother) is it just as simple as making the document with facing pages in quark or is that done in changing it into a pdf?
    i dont think u can do spreads as pdfs it will print the pages one by one, quick way round it is if the page is a4 portrait, make an a3 page landscape and step the pages by the side of each other

[also, i was messing around with another quark document, turning it into a pdf...but the images all looked like crap...is there a way to make it look good. what is the best way to do this. is there a way to just turn the file into a postscript file?
    you can specify the quality of a pdf if i remember correctly "screen" "web" and "print" the newer versions may do more but i havent upgraded the better the quality the bigger the pdfs file size, eps files always look bd as well in pdfs

bp

hmmm...ok

when i am putting the quark file together, what resolution should the images be in...the piece will be for screen view but also for print if they decide to do so(desktop inkjet)

im thinking that 72-75 would be ok, but i think they would look bad if they decide to print the piece out....

what do you think?

edit: oh and for the print piece i want tiff files, but would i want the same for the one that will be a pdf?
    Last edited by Astroflux; 06-11-2003 at 07:17 PM.

To get spreads in PDF, check "spreads" in your print menu and save the document as a postscript file. (go to Print, Printer, Destination: File. Choose Save as File in drop down menu and choose these settings: Level 2 and 3, Binary, Font Inclusion: All)

Open the file in Distiller to make the PDF.

If your PDF is on a website, you have to be concerned about file size and the overall importance of your images.

(I'd rather download a 100K PDF with low-res photos than a 1mb PDF with hi-res photos.)

If the images have to look great when printed - 300dpi. Good- 150dpi Crap - 72dpi.

good luck