dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New interactive Flash video piece

Interactive Flash video piece - update

We've just finished this new interactive Flash video piece, so it's bug testing and feedback time.

Please check it out and let us know if there are any problems. Please let us know your OS and browser if you find any problems.

You are of course welcome to comment on the content as well.
    n.b. this is a non-commercial piece.

Minimum viewing requirements:
    Broadband connection (the file is 542KB)
    Flash Player 6
    Min screen res. 1024 x 768

http://www.memoryburn.net/memorial/memorial_flash.html

Thanks,

{ J } & maytey
    Last edited by jjmt; 06-16-2003 at 10:53 AM.

i had no problems viewing it, i'm on a Pentium 4 / 2Ghz, 1024Mb RAM, using Win XP, internet explorer 6 and 1024x768 resolution.

i like your movie, it could have some kind of sound track tough

I viewed the piece and it's nice.
    I cannot say I truly understand the message you are trying to convey, or
    the interactivity, the user has with the movie. It's a nice piece, and the quotes
    work well. I would enjoy it more if there was some type of mp3. added to the
    audio aspect of the video. Intresting.

g.g.
    imac, do you?
    www.carpedenimjeans.com
    seize life.

I also....no probs viewing. Loaded perfect.

g.g.
    imac, do you?
    www.carpedenimjeans.com
    seize life.

Although we think it works ok without sound (a minute of silence in memorial), we do agree that it could benefit putting in some sound now. Working on it, and will post the update when it's done.

As for the message, it's an overall concept of peace, anit-war, and non-violent solutions, without being to preachy about it. Farily topical at this moment in history we think (and just about every other moment for that matter).

It's a personal, non-comercial art piece, not a commercial design piece for a client (for a change). We didn't want to make it too literal with the message, just let it reveal itself slowly through user exploration, and let people interpret it in their own way.

We also wanted to do a piece where the video was interactive and properly integrated into the background, not just video in a box, as is usually the case.

Thanks for the comments peeps.
    Last edited by jjmt; 06-14-2003 at 03:59 AM.

I understand a lot better now that you came through with such an explaination of some sort. I am feeling the piece, I sat, I pondered, "what the hell is this and why and I still watching it?" Which is a good thing. You caught my attention, and severly worked your 5 minutes of fame deep into the far right side of my brain. Maybe, now that I think about it, it served it's purpose without music. Maybe it would be too smooth with mousic, and users wouldn't watch the whole movie. Then again, I think I may just watch it again. Nice work.
    Take Care.

g g
    (no, I don't have an afro)
    imac, do you?
    www.carpedenimjeans.com
    seize life.

GraphicsGuru: Thanks for those really thoughtful words, we appreciate that.

We've now updated the piece to include sound:

http://www.memoryburn.net/memorial/memorial_flash.html

jj proj.

I Viewed the update with sound. Here is how I feel...the sound, I feel doesn't match the piece. I like the aspect of sound added to the piece, but for some reason, when i watch it over and over again (with my sound off), I hear this old piano, tune in the backround. For some reason, it seems like it needs a piano, or church organ, child'rens toy or actually here is an almost pin-point example:

http://www.24-7media.de/

I hear this music, when I watch your piece. For some odd reason, that musi ssucks me in. Its deep, maybe the whole childhood feeling, with the effects in the backround. That is what I meant when I said it needed sound.

I hope this helps, and remember I'm just adding a little constructive critisism, not bashing.

Best Regards.

g.g.
    imac, do you?
    www.carpedenimjeans.com
    seize life.

This way In
    Totally agree with guru about the music, the innocence of a childrens toy matched with the idea of war can be used to chilling effect and i think it would benefit this piece though it is a little cliche.

As for the interactive element - i think it needs some explaining or the user wont get it, in addition to this I think it would be aesthetically improved if you made the video a little smaller and centered it on the screen. Other than that, a nice piece of work!
    Good lord, it's been a while

Thanks for your crits,

We do like the sound on that site, it certainly adds to the mood, however we don't really think that kind of sound is appropriate for our piece.

We were going for a coming storm type sound, and settled on that wind noise for a cold, desolate, bleak feeling.

Anyone else have any comments or criticisms about the sound we have used, or the piece in general?