A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Text issues

Text issues

Well I just got started on Flash MX and I have a Flash 5 Bible(going to buy the new one after I learn the basic stuff ). Well, there is a section on text where it says to break apart the text and it will be recognized as a shape. The only problem is that the program still recognizes it as text. Is their a solution to this? Thx.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Break it apart twice. My bible for MX says to select the text box and hit Ctrl+B "a couple times". It always worked for me. There are a few other things you need to do twice to text in MX to get it to work too, so maybe it's a twice bug?
    Last edited by iaskwhy; 06-12-2003 at 01:21 PM.

Lol, I guess. Well, thx again iaskwhy for the reply.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Actually what you are doing is breaking the word into letters, then the second time it's breaking the letters into shapes. You may also want to go to Modify/Shape at this time and pick Convert Lines to Fills.

Yeah, I guess that would make sense. And I just tested it out and it worked great! I have one more question though concering the Flash MX bible you got. I went to the bookstore a few days ago and looked at the Flash MX books. There was one concering actionscript and 3d imaging. Is there one that just covers the basic of Flash MX or are those the only ones released?

There are tons of MX books at Barnes and Noble. I got "The Complete Reference, Macromedia Flash MX" by Brian Underdahl, to learn the nuts and bolts of the program, and have since gotten 5 others to learn just actionscript. The reference is good, cause it covers every tool and way to use it for MX. Once you learn that, get actionscripting books. The power of MX is in the script. Don't buy beginners actionscript books though, cause even the advanced books start with the basics.

ok I will try to find that book you suggested and thanks for all those great tips man.