dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye-Pain

Eye-Pain

hey guys,

im only 14, but have been designing sites and graphics for about 4 of thoses years.

i use the computer at least 4 hours a day and on weekends a hell of a lot more.

this has never affected me before. but recently it starts to hurt my eyes so bad that i have to stop using the computer for a few days.

has anyone else in the design world got this problem and how do u tackle it ( as your income depends on you using a computer)

any help would be nice.
    freshly squeezed media

Re: Eye-Pain

Originally posted by n-gen
    hey guys,

im only 14, but have been designing sites and graphics for about 4 of thoses years.

i use the computer at least 4 hours a day and on weekends a hell of a lot more.

this has never affected me before. but recently it starts to hurt my eyes so bad that i have to stop using the computer for a few days.

has anyone else in the design world got this problem and how do u tackle it ( as your income depends on you using a computer)

any help would be nice.
    Hi there.
    I am a lot older than you, so somtimes it is a bit
    difficult to judge wether My eye strain / pain is due to age
    or computer usage.

I spend 8 hours a day in front of my work computer mon - fri.
    I spend some evening on my PC at home and some time at the weekend.

I belive saftey guide lines recomend that you should only spend
    4 hours a day at a PC screen, and that you should have regular
    breaks away from the screen.

Eyes dry out in certain envoiroments ie. where there is central
    heating.

Also eye strain from focusing on the screen for long periods is
    not good.

Apart from eye problems, you should always insure that you are
    comfortable you have a good chair, and sit with your back straight.

Unfortunatly, most of us ignore these things and suffer later.

If someone tells you it can't be done,
    it's probally because they don't know how.

Maybe your just not getting enough sleep. I'm on a computer for 7.5 hours/day and I don't really feel any pain except maybe my neck will be a little sore near the end of the week.

When you are on the computer, go make a cup of tea every hour or so. Just do something to get the blood flowing and take those eyes of that monitor.

If it keeps occuring then it might be something more serious.

Go to an optician.

Sorry. Obvious advice, but it may be that they can help you. Otherwise, I'd recommend taking at least 5 minutes away from the 'puter each hour, preferably looking at things in the distance. Also, make sure your monitor isn't too bright/blurred, you aren't sitting too close to it and the room is well lit.

And eat carrots.

Ferg
    Never criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. That way, when you DO criticise him, you're a mile away... plus you have his shoes!

-move the monitor further from your head
    -darken the Brightness
    -wear sunglasses

Well, how much of that time are you browsing Flashkit?

20 %?

60 %?

95 %?

If it is the third, you found the problem. See, when a monitor, displaying yellow or other bright hues for a long periods of time, hits a certain point, it starts to fire multiple displacer radiation waves (MDRWs). It scrambles the light that travels to your eyes slightly. Not an amount that can be noticed, but enought to cause pain in your eyes.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

hi, my brother had the same problem and he bought some sort of filter. You put that in front of your screen.

Yes, thats the MDRW Filter. It stops those waves that aren't calibarated correctly. The filters help, but Flashkit can be pretty intense. You might want to buy two.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

mine hurt too, i'm going outside in the sun

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    get an lcd monitor, then no more radiation waves..
    [small](sorry if this advice sounds stupid, i'm very bent right now )[/salad]

i spend a minimum of 8, but usually 10-12, hours a day staring at this screen. i'm 30, and still don't wear glasses/contacts, and have not noticed any real harm on my eyes from this type of work. i also do not wear sunglasses outside....ever. my eyes seem to be pretty tough <knocks on wood> - however, my hearing is pretty shot from being in a working band back in the in mid 90's. when i get into a room with no sound or white noise, my inner ear has a little symphony going on in there.

i would probably say that if you are predisposed to vision problems, the computer is going to bother you. but suck it up....salemen have to travel, cops get shot at, factory workers lose limbs....ever job has it's dangers.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog Photos Book

Originally posted by gasbag15
    Ditto! I love my new LCD!

h
    On That Note Forums - 1200 members and counting...
    "...our focus remains on the music."

Yes, LCD Monitors are great! They do cut down on radiation, and on MDRWs, too.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

Originally posted by nordberg
    i spend a minimum of 8, but usually 10-12, hours a day staring at this screen. i'm 30, and still don't wear glasses/contacts, and have not noticed any real harm on my eyes from this type of work.
    <squints to read ... smashes Nordy's thumb> ... Shut UP !!! Braggart

my eyes seem to be pretty tough <knocks on wood>
    <weeping>

- however, my hearing is pretty shot
    Ha!!! FINALLY! Something we have in common!

i would probably say that if you are predisposed to vision problems, the computer is going to bother you. but suck it up....salemen have to travel, cops get shot at, factory workers lose limbs....ever job has it's dangers. [/B]
    True enough

N-gen ~ I'm blind as a bat ~ have been for years - my vision is like a -6.5 ... so I tell you ... Go to the eye dr. man! When was your last vision test? Blind as I am even I don't have "eye pain" ... unless of course someone hits me ...

Say it with me ... EYE ... DOC-TOR ...

Go! Why are you still sitting here reading this?!?!

"My father likes to delete things from the Windows System directory because he's convinced that's where the swap file lurks. I have to reinstall Windows 95 almost every day." from Computer Stupidities
    Nobody's perfect ... I am nobody ... therefore ...
    Did you hear about the pirate movie that's in theaters now? It's rated "Aaaarrrrr!"...
    All your base are belong to them?
    Vision in Video

Originally posted by gasbag15
    [small](sorry if this advice sounds stupid, i'm very bent right now )[/salad]
    [/salad] bwahahahahah

very good call, i just realised i had my moniter set to 100% brightness, thats a little better
    freshly squeezed media

Take breaks. Get contacts.

Every hour of putering should be followed by atleast a 15 minute break, if not for your eyes then for RSI.
    hello.

Originally posted by n-gen
    very good call, i just realised i had my moniter set to 100% brightness, thats a little better

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Dude it scares me no one mentioned that till now

anyway, I'm assuming you're using a CRT monitor-non LCD maonitors- so,
    1. Make sure you have your newest VGA card drivers
    2.goto display, advanced, and set your Monitor refresh rate to 85 hz or above, now that doesn't eliminate the radiation but it'll decrease the strain on your eyes immensely

now take caution while setting RR to 85 Hz, some monitors doesn't support hi resolution with 85 Hz, so make it gradually, or check your manuals. and another ergonomic tip, look every 30 minutes to something 10 meters away from you.

Ughh, I read this thread like a week ago, and my eyes had NEVER hurt before! Now I am getting migrain sort of things in my eyes! *doubles over in pain* I think mine might be that my nephew stepped on my glasses recently and so I havent been wearing them. And I am viewing an LCD for like 10 hrs a day