A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Cool illusion for smooth playback of simulated video

Cool illusion for smooth playback of simulated video

As we all know, SV can not create interpolated frames like traditional dv codecs.

This makes it difficult to create smooth playback when chopping out frames in fast action scenes. But just now I came across this little plugin for AE. that applies smart motion blur by tracking pixels. Its incredibly simple, one click, set the degree of motion blur and your done.

Our test clip had multiple areas that required varying degrees of motion blur. The only treatment in AE was to reduce interlace flicker and apply a .5 setting of motion blur with the smart blur plugin

The Objective: Smooth Playback at 10 fps was exactly what we got and here is the clip. NO buffer on this one so you should have dsl or cable (2.9MB)

http://www.mantaproductions.com/blur.html

In further experiments we dropped the fps to 8 with the monsters inc trailer and once again found playback to be totally smooth. This might even help you native video people, check them out for your self.

http://www.revisionfx.com/

Cheers

Pretty cool.

I recently used AE to fix a similar problem. We had a boom on a car that had been retouched out (so the car was stable, and relatively unmoved in the frame). But the retoucher mistakenly retouched at 72dpi (it's for the web, right?) - so we had all kinds of problems getting it to look good in Flash.

We created a motion blur mask around the car - and rendered out to QT, then converted to Flash. It helped save the project, but I don't think it would work for all applications.

I'm certainly going to check this plugin out.

Thanks WR.

Its definately becoming a part of my tookit and not just for SV.