A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sloow movie...

Try dropping your frame rate. Read this turtorial.

------------------
    Eric Emmons
    Merrill Lynch
    User Interface Design

Smile

this is just my own theory....

I have the same problem, and i solve it will animate the animation with fewer frame.

for example, if you what a 20 frame tweening, make it 10 or less frame. Then you will get a smoother animation especially when your object is big.

I don't know about how other people had done it, but this seem a easy way for me.

one more thing, don't try to duplicate movie clip too many time. I try it and it work fine on my PIII 550 machine but the movie crash on a pentium 233 machine.

another thing is that, giving some space in between key frame will allow the CPU have more "breathing" time. for example,
    layer 1 frame 1: one large circle animation.
    layer 2 frame 2: another large circle animation.
    Instead of doing this way, try moving the "layer 2" animation to frame 3 or 4, the viewer will not notice the different because it happen in less than a second.

Hope this will help.

------------------

[This message has been edited by yeenhin (edited 04 April 2000).]

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

More than likely your using a lot of alpha states. This will slow everything down. If possible use tints. Also if you have large areas of animation this will also tax the cpu. Make movements that are essential. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

i think the good is that u dropping your frame rate, or u can minimalize your jpg, better using a vector graphic

Talking

Im making a flash web site, I began to use a lot of cool effects, but I havent add one single JPG or graphic file yet, and the animation looks slow already.
    Im only using vectors and at 24 fps, 640 x 480 high quality is on. there arent complicated shapes, I do have some movies inside a movies and background music.

What can I do to speed things up?

Smile

Reducing the frames of a tweening will cause the transaction more smooth. I think it maybe the reason of monitor refresh rate and the CPU work load.

you can give it a try,
    make a big shape(500x500) and animate it to a small shape, use 50 frames to do it.

After that, try 10 frames or so....you will notice the different.

if there is no different, then I think it is time for me to trash my monitor and get a new one !!....hehe

------------------

<EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00001783.swf" quality=high WIDTH=550 HEIGHT=60 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Alpha states tax the cpu to the max. Large amounts of it will kill the poor little number cruncher. Same thing with Huge sections of moving vectors. I'm sitting on a 550 PIII with 128 ram and a 21 inch Trinitron monitor and Sites with to much alpha and large animation segments get bogged down. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Do alpha changes to graphics slow down the animation alot?. Ive noticed my animations run kind of chunkily when there are many alpha effects going on, would tints work better. Im only working on a k2 400mhz AMD with 64 MB SDRAM and its running a bit slow. Would reducing the # of frames and increasing the frame rate fix the slowness?

Thanks

Da Cheese
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00002203.swf" quality=high WIDTH=600 HEIGHT=60 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>