A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who'd ever made a chess game

who'd ever made a chess game

i think this may be the most difficult game. but i'd be a good one.
    who'd ever made it or considered making it?

the AI would be very very difficult, i think.

incredibulus-actionscriptum magnetos's Avatar
    i would rather make something simpler first like a checker game

You gotta be crazy if you're trying to make a chess game. This would be harder than a 1st person 3D shooter with a quake-like engine to make. Even checkers would be a pain in the ass.

the rules of chess are not difficult to program. Yet getting the program to grasp the heuristics of chess would be rather cumbersome.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    I've seen some like 5 kb Javascript chess games before, I'm guessing they wouldn't be too difficult to adapt to flash.

the rules are easy. But the rules dont make a game. Just imagine all those IF's to win a round of chess:

If ("bishop on square h4 and there's some other pawn that you can take, but watch field a3 cause you might get your queen taken if you are gullable enough to take the pawn, and also watch all other figures for all sides to not lose them, and maybe advance your play as well"=true) {
    take the pawn
    }

thatd be one f4cking doozy to make!

Originally posted by Son of Bryce
    I've seen some like 5 kb Javascript chess games before, I'm guessing they wouldn't be too difficult to adapt to flash.
    Ahhhhh...just cause they're 5k doesnt make them easy to make! But I dont see how you can fit just the graphics for all the pieces in 5K...

Chess isn't just about what move you're going to make now, but predicting what your opponent will do and try to counter those moves 2 or more moves in advance. As far as I know there's only one computer that has been able to do all those calculations fast enough, and since the Flash player is several 1000+ times slower than it I doubt anything of the sort would be possible in it. A multiplayer chess game, yes, but with A.I. no.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    It may not be simple, it's completely possible. Here's the javascript version I was talkin about...

http://entries.the5k.org/719/index.html

Purty good for under 5kb, I must say.

Originally posted by Son of Bryce
    It may not be simple, it's completely possible. Here's the javascript version I was talkin about...

http://entries.the5k.org/719/index.html

Purty good for under 5kb, I must say.
    maybe pretty good for 5k, but its still sh1t. I easily took his queen, and when I gave him a checkmate, he just took my queen when he couldnt because he'd be under check by my bishop...buggy, and too easy.

so you wanna program Deep Blue, or whatever the name of that computer was that beat the Russian chessmaster? haha

I think it's more than possible to do chess in Flash.

Here's a little story, gather round kids as Uncle Squize tells you of far off days...

When the Atari VCS first came out it had pictures on the box, pac man, space invaders, chess, etc.
    Now one day a customer contacted Atari and asked where he could buy the chess cart from. "Oh, we don't actually make one, we just put it on the box 'cause it looks cool", "Oh, ok. I only bought a vcs 'cause I wanted to play chess and now I can't so I'm going to sue you for everything. Even your pants", "Oh... did we say we didn't actually make a chess cart, erm, what I meant to say is we are making one. In fact we've just started on it right now", "In that case I won't sue you and just wait for you to release it. Thanks" "Thanks, bye" "Bye".

So Atari made a chess game for the vcs. In fact it didn't take that long to write the AI, it took longer to write the sprite multiplexor to display all the pieces.

Aside from being very self indulgent and a touch boring, the morale is that even a low powered "machine" such as Flash can handle chess.

Now writing it... that's a different story.

Squize.

ANY computer can handle Chess... The difference is in how long it takes for the computer to calculate its moves.

I had BattleChess on my 1 megahertz Commodore 64. At an easy skill level, the computer took about a minute to calculate what its move would be. At a hard level, it would take many, many minutes.

Flash can handle chess, it's just a question of how long do you want players to be sitting there waiting for the computer to stop "thinking"...

RB

:)

I think it'll be possible to maake a checss game...

It depends on how much time you want to put in it...

The AI will offcourse be the most difficult, but calculate for about 2/3 steps forward will be possible I guess....

As Ray said it's totally possible to write Chess in Flash, it's just how long will the player want to wait between computer moves, esp. on the lower levels, where you'd expect a quick game.

Squize.

I've started a chess project
    www.mightystuff.net/flash_chess

but i have no idea where to start on the heuristics/fuzzy algorithms to strategise the game so the computer is playable. I'll have to do more research until I can achieve this.

:)

The idea would be,

- Check first piece,
    - Check if it can move (without letting the king in open space),
    - When moved, will it be attacked?
    - If attacked, will counter attacking be possible and ussefull without loosing more point then opponent,
    - Else, pick another piece

This is a very very very small way of doing this... And will be hard to make...

You could do a search on:
    http://www.gameai.com/ I bet you'll find something there...

i remember that 5k comp. and the winner was;
    http://www.innofinity.com/5k/2002/#
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

if anyone can do it my moneys on Asclepeos. if a guy can casually throw the word heuristics into a conversation he can do anything!