A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: MarioKart style flash engine

The game..like everyone said..looks good! I espically like the way the car wobbles when you drive on the grass..hehehe

#
    hi,

just a new one :o)
    we did a closer look to the spreading of PercyPeas stripes and it looks good. better performance and twice bigger than fastfroots.

take a look here (german language)

good work PercyPea :o)

congratulations andre,
    great to see you got some business out of it. performance improvement/window size is a big improvement, i know that was a regular complaint. did you get an opportunity to have a look at the positioning code when the scaling changes?
    blink
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

very nice

Very nice Andre, thanks also for the mention

Ihoss
    this is probably very late to join this thread but i just love all the stuff uve done. first thing, when i looked at the game first time i got angry cuz i thought i was seeing a director game, which just says how skilled u guys are.

greate work and keep it up. in the mean time ill try to do something new with hte game, i have some ideas...

#

Re: very nice

Originally posted by PercyPea
    Very nice Andre, thanks also for the mention :)
    As you know, we developed the engine in the same time :o)
    But yours has a better spreading of the stripes as our in fastfroots. For fastfroots it was to late to modify. Building Racing Games is real fun. We've learned so much about computer opponents and I see forward to the next release :o)

Ihoss
    i had a good idea but i cant get it to work. there should be some effect like when you brake the camera kinda looks downwards, and when you accelerate, the camera looks upwards. its like if you drive fast and brake you feel the front of the car goes downwards.

And also BlinkOK, i cant download your z_mapping.zip. anyone else having the same problem?

ha! - cooooooool

hello!

very cool!

have someone a action-script for that ??? or a idee???

very coooooooool...
    Vielen Dank! Vincent

sorry Ihoss, the z_mapping.zip is a little too big for my server space. i recommend using the pivot3.zip .fla, the positioning code is much better.

Ihoss
    ok, i used percypea's actionscript and it works fine. the only problem is that sometimes this happens: (the blue part being the problem) anyone have an idea y?

Ihoss
    ok, i made a racer with PercyPea's engine and now im trying to add some objects to it. the problem is that the tyres start flashing when they get too far away or too close. ive followed the supersamurai 3D instructions and added the if(z<-D) thing.

ive also got a problem with the absolute position of the tyres, as when i try to turn, they move too. how did you make your trees Blink?
    heres a link to the game so u can see the problem.
    Racer

never mind, i fixed the if(z<-D) thing, but i can still not get the tyre to stay in one place.

Ihoss,
    use andre's place3D sample or my pivot sample to position the objects. just take your car and track images and drop them in.
    i used swift3d to create my trees.
    blink

Ihoss
    i had a look at your pivot3, but i cant find the actionscript for the tree. is it one of the object things? ive also tried to use the supersamurai to place the tree, but it keeps moving around. and one last thing, your elvis guy, how did you make him so i can see him from all the sides? is it a swift thing, or do you just calculate which angle im looking from and then show the apropriate frame with the right picture?

the code for positioning is in the renderObj() function. it searches though the "map" mc (top right corner) for mc's and then uses the "height" and "link" variables from those mc's to attach and scale the objects.
    the elvis guy is a model that was rotated 6 degrees each frame for 60 frames (360 degrees). it then calculates the angle of the object to the camera and goes to the appropriate frame.
    there's a good tutorial here;
    http://www.erain.com/community/conte...ld/3DWorld.asp
    that describes how to calculate the angle to the camera.

just wondering blink,how far is your entry or aren´t you workin on it anymore?

i got some positioning problems (when the scene is scaled to a view from a person walking). i've asked andre but he's a bit busy so as soon as i get an answer to that i should be ok.

Ihoss
    i know nothing about objects, but is there a way to do it without objects?. i just used the Supersamurai, and it works good when i change its z position, but thats it. if i have to use objects, is there somewhere i can get an introduction, as i dont like to just copy someones code blindly?

as you can see in your sample, the tyres are moving all over the joint, the method your using there isn't working. you need to use a modified version of the super samurai method. if you look at the renderObj() function all the code is in there.

Originally posted by BlinkOk
    i got some positioning problems (when the scene is scaled to a view from a person walking). i've asked andre but he's a bit busy so as soon as i get an answer to that i should be ok.
    i´m busy aswell with squize´s yours and my entry but if you want,you
    can send it over and i´ll have a look at it

Ihoss
    y dont u try to join the world contest in 3D stuff? be coll if u win someting.

still having problems: i just copied the stuff from the file i downloaded from the tutorial (lots of from the's in my snetences), but its still not working. if u try the link ull see that the tyres fly all over the place.

as u may have noticed, u need to spoon feed me before i shut up, but thanx for helping me

Later that day:

Blink, i used ur pivot3 to make my own game, and i found something in it. the place where you set the _xscale and _yscale for the strips, uve entered this code:
    PHP Code:
    strip._xscale strip._yscale = (maskY/totalHeight)*totalHeight groundScale
    wouldnt that take up a lot of proccesing time? i also got a question about it. in PercyPeas version, if you changed the groundScale (obvioulsy it wasent called that) u would change the height of the camera above the ground. but in ur entire file, i cant find the value of totalHeight or groundScale. it has to be somwhere or else the code would output 0 (or undefine) and it wouldnt work. do u know where it is?
    *Edit*
    ive updated my game with blinks code: as u can see the tyres are in one spot, but their size is also the same all the time.
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/ihoss/Movies/racer.swf