A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: MarioKart style flash engine

Hey guys...i'll be honest:

1) Consider me a total newb about action script...the only "interesting" game i ever made involved 2 character fighting...and i never finished it...i'm a lazy bum.
    The game is pretty ridiculous..but i did have fun making it and it would have been a cool idea (i wanted to make it included with a flash chatroom and then allow people to challenge each other with characters and fight...another brocken dream).

My Dragon Ball Game

GO AHEAD AND MAKE FUN OF ME!

2) I am using all the .fla files i found in this topic to try and put together all the best features...only problem is that i don't understand squat of the Action Script involved...nor do i have a source to learn and understand from.

3) I want to make a Snes F-Zero replica...end of story...I wouldn't mind using mode 7...but so far it hasn't been possible in Flash (although someone earlier said they pulled it off in AS 2.0 ...if so...you are an angel and I DEMAND HELP FROM YOU...please???

I have been working with the basic PercyPea engine...since he has the best explanation and simplest engine from what i've seen...and although its limited..the other attributes can be added once i learn how they work.

Anywho...i've been adding a track...that's about it so far..and adjusting at what height i want the camera and the various speeds...that's so far...after about a whole days of work (yeah yeah...slow poke...well SUE me!). I've ALREADY encountered a problem...its a rather simple problem but i can't find the solution...I want to add a car sprite...but everytime i do...the track seems to spawn in front of it...even if i put it on a layer above the action script...can someone help me?

Thanks guys...and any helpful (but basic please...i suck) hints would be nice...remember...i want to keep the physics true to the original snes fzero.

THE FLA FOR FZERO WANNABE

P.S. TO THE GUY WHO WROTE THE MODE 7 IN AS 2.0:

any chance you'll share your pot of gold with me so that i could learn and build a better fzero game than i would with z_mapping? (can i see your .fla pleeeeaaase???)

Hope to hear from anybody soon.
    Last edited by Hobbez; 11-08-2004 at 05:54 AM.

add the following code to your car movie

Code:
    onClipEvent(load) {
    this.swapDepths(999999);
    }
    Should do the trick.
    "I layed down in my bed last night looked up at the stars, and thought to myself... Where the F*#K is my roof"

THANK YOU MASTER

i'll let ya guys know if i need anymore help...this could actualy become a (barely) intertaining game (with your help, of course).

Not a problem. Hope to see a finished game soon
    "I layed down in my bed last night looked up at the stars, and thought to myself... Where the F*#K is my roof"

Well here's the current version..it had music but i took it out for now to make the file smaller for downloading.

I haven't been able to work on it for 3 days though...

The basic Ideas i have reserved to work on next:

1) switch to strille's improved version of the z_mapping which decreases mask size closer to the horizon. Also add a SKY

2) collision with walls, death if outside of track (the death thing will come when i add jumps)and HP bar

3) Speed and rotation adjustments + Speedometer

4) Add various collision and engine sounds and animate the car and accidents.

5) Lapping system which retrieves the times for each of 5 laps and shows them to the player.

6) minimal adjustments such as turbo boost and jumps

7) Add path-defined opponents or, if possible, "smart" opponents which will react properly to when they are passing an opponent or taking a series of curves (oh..and collision detection too).

Final (and who knows when that will be): completion of game will include music, various tracks and cars to choose from, self-saving course and lap records, and if miracles do happen...then it would be nice to make this into a multiplayer game! Possibly using that foxlite server, i'm hoping it can be possible.

P.S. ...if anybody wants to contribute some help or can "donate" some usefull scripts...you're always welcome to do so...its much better to do so...i would LOVE your help...given that i suck at flash .

Email me if you want the .FLA

alb_m1@yahoo.com
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ok you guys will have to forgive my ignorance and bare with me...

I'm going to need quite some help with the scripting of this game.

Anyways...here's the new problem...i'm look at strille's z_mapping .fla file...and i CAN'T figure out which lines make strips exponentially smaller near horizon...well..i found where it talks about...i just don't understand its funtcion and what variables and instance names (if any) he's refering to...if anybody could give me a clear explanation or a bit of help with this...i could move on with the game.

Thanks!

P.S. Should i start a new discussion for this game...or should i continue here, given its a game based on this engine?

I also want to UNDERSTAND how it works
    Someone should create a tutorial about it

Isnt weird that everybody saids thats a incredieble engine and noone has made a racing game using it?

uhm, there has been many games based on it. Both I and Tom made a game for a 3D contest once (I think blink_ok was into it too) and there are many other versions around the net.

the usual
    see http://void.andre-michelle.com/ there's a few links

#
    I'm also providing some sourcecodes here :o)

Hi guys, first of all im impressed with this technique, you put flash in a way i couldnt think it would be possible to do, depth.

Lots of questions:

-Im using the "elvis" version and im trying to make something like a lap counter. Any of you know how could i easelly do that?

-Im no expert in action script (neither in english as you can see).
    I was trying to make a bitmap with lots of paths (like a labirinth) and i need to check if the car is going to the right path.....

- also, how can i add obstacles (with hit test) to the road? is that very difficult?

thanks guys. Hope im not overgoing...
    "life is interactive"

adding sprites

firstly, all the work you guys have done on the zmapping game engines is brilliant. Its been a massive help to a golf game i am developing.

but here we go with the problems: i am completley stuck when trying to add sprites to my game like trees and bushes and things . I've looked at some of the source files found on this forum and a few others and i'm so lost when i try to impliment or even begin to understand some of the engines with 3d srpites.

If anybody could help me i was be so grateful, i'm getting really stressed trying to work this out.

my engine so far (its just the 3d viewing at the moment, click the plan on the left to get a new viewpoint):

http://bracebracebrace.com/dev/golf/

download source fla

PercyPea, where are you?
    What are you doing now?

check this thread for collision and placing objects. one tip: do not scale down the top view map
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=626076
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Hey guys, I was messing around with that pivot3.zip, cool stuff! But im curious, how are object placements on the map defined? Like I noticed when I moved a "tree" on the 2d map it moved it in the 3d world to that position. How does the engine read that position and convert it? I couldnt find any actual AS code that read that part of the screen and got a coord for it or anything... knowing my luck its prolly my inexperience with navigating the latest flash mx.. i miss my flash 5 haha! can anyone clear this up for me?

the renderObj() function converts the 2D co-ords to 3D using localtoGlobal/globalToLocal
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Hi!

I tried to rebuild percypea's mariokart.
    But this is what I got:

http://www.xn--schrder-web-ufb.de/3dracingversuch.fla

Could somebody give me a hint? I tried, but don't get it. Where did I ess it up?

Thanks!

sry bei mir kommt nur:
    "datenträgerfehler bei lesevorgang"

Sorry, the Link only works with iNav-Plugin for German Letters.
    This link should work for all:

http://www.hoergeraete-schroeder.de/3dracingversuch.fla

Maybe someone can tell me, where I'm mistaken?