A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: MarioKart style flash engine

hullo

nice engine

tired spent 17 hours getting it to work and ting (my first project never having used flash before !!!) well you gotta try innit?

any hoo alls going well and things except can some one please explain to me how you animate a car (i've got he bit map out lines done just need too know the script or how a thickie newbie would generate it.

help (my track when done is gonna be a copy od the Brooklands race circuit in london circa 1926 ) oh and as the track it's based on was banked can anybody tell me if there away I could make the banking on the corners too

Cheers

Garf

onSit=function() {makeFlash}; basssmannn's Avatar
    wow, that is truly amazing

hey hooligan2001

could u pls gimme the URL of this advance game. I like it.

thanks

[ö] <<

*makes his first appearance* ^_^

http://www27.brinkster.com/sciuniversum/racing.html

I'm in love with this engine, so I've started to work on a hovercar racing game with it (since it appears to be an open source thing...). I'm using strille's version, with some modifications of my own:

- Turn rate, braking, and acceleration tweaks
    - The cocpit and all of the gizmos in it

I'm still trying to get my head around the engine -- I've figured out the code controls and such -- but I'm getting there. There are still some things I want to do, but not entirely sure how I could work it out yet, or I'm still actively working out:

- Get in some customs tracks. It would be nice to have a wider track to make following the line a bit easier.

- Powersliding. I'm not deep enough in the engine code to work out if the direction the vehicle is facing has to be the direction it is moving (or how much of a change that'd require).

- Non-linear steering model? - So that making slight adjustments in direction is easier and at full turning lock, you are turning at your maximum rate.

- Non-linear acceleration model? - Higher acceleration at lower speeds than at higher speeds, though I don't know how realistic that would be.

If anyone would like to impart any wisdom on me, I would be all ears and appreciative
    Flash Programmer
    Icarus Studios

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    Originally posted by tidalwv
    *makes his first appearance* ^_^

http://www27.brinkster.com/sciuniversum/racing.html

I'm in love with this engine, so I've started to work on a hovercar racing game with it (since it appears to be an open source thing...). I'm using strille's version, with some modifications of my own:

- Turn rate, braking, and acceleration tweaks
    - The cocpit and all of the gizmos in it

I'm still trying to get my head around the engine -- I've figured out the code controls and such -- but I'm getting there. There are still some things I want to do, but not entirely sure how I could work it out yet, or I'm still actively working out:

- Get in some customs tracks. It would be nice to have a wider track to make following the line a bit easier.

- Powersliding. I'm not deep enough in the engine code to work out if the direction the vehicle is facing has to be the direction it is moving (or how much of a change that'd require).

- Non-linear steering model? - So that making slight adjustments in direction is easier and at full turning lock, you are turning at your maximum rate.

- Non-linear acceleration model? - Higher acceleration at lower speeds than at higher speeds, though I don't know how realistic that would be.

If anyone would like to impart any wisdom on me, I would be all ears and appreciative
    Few suggestions. Give us an option for high or low quality and view change.

Actually, view change is something that I'd like to put in... just forgot to put it on the list

And I will see about changing the quality. I lowered the framerate to 20 fps, so it might not be quite as CPU intensive.
    Flash Programmer
    Icarus Studios

tidalwv, that's pretty neat! I do think using a bitmap image as the interior of the car would be faster and look better since the engine runs best in low quality. The vector look doesn't go that well together with the bitmap sky and track in my opinion.

You could have several tracks in separate files and load them into the main movie. The track and sky are located in the symbol "strips" and called sM (strips movie) on the stage. Create a new flash movie (called track01 for instance) with the stage size 480x360 and copy all the keyframes in the strips symbol to this new movie. Make sure you place the "mask" and "fog" symbols in the new movie library too, and that they are exported with the same name.

Ok, back to the main movie. Replace the sM instance on the stage with an empty movie clip. The instance should still be called sM. Now, load the track into sM by using sM.loadMovie("track01.swf") in the beginning of the movie. You have to create a frame loop that checks that the track has loaded fully before entering what was frame 2 originally.

No, you can move in any direction. Just change xPos, yPos. You could add any driving effect where position, velocity and acceleration is involved because that has nothing to do with the rendering of the track.

Good luck with your game!

where can i found high resolution bitmap ground textures?

Older Source File Needed

Does anyone have a copy of the source file modified by BlinkOk that used to be located at:

http://www.nlc.net.au/~oceana/games/z_mapping.zip

I'm trying to have a version that combines both Strille's jumps and extended map with BlinkOk's trees, map overview, second player and stationary background. I will post the finished version online as soon as it is done.

hey pierski,
    firstly please post and tell me if you're the dude that e-mailed me.
    this is an experiment that positions (fairly accuratly) objects in a scene. unfortunatly this one (and the origional) won't work when your scale the scene (you gotta muck about with the variables on the screen if you wanna change the scale). in addition this one moves the point of rotation forward slightly, the strille version has the pivot at the bottom of the screen.
    http://www.nlc.net.au/~oceana/games/pivot3.html
    http://www.nlc.net.au/~oceana/games/pivot3.zip
    you might wanna try andre michelle's position method (source is in this thread)
    blink
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

#

Fastfroots online

hi guys,

fastfroots is online.
    Show us your gaming skills in our highscore :o)

Good luck and have fun !

Wow, great engine! After searching for some cool sprites the other day, I cam across these great Mario Cart ones:

http://www.planetnintendo.com/mariok...edsprites.html

Thought you might like them, although they'll look pretty weired on that big environment

Good job, it's very clever indeed. It seems then that the difference between this engine and a regular tile engine is that this one scales down the MC's to produce depth. Perhaps the tiles at bottom get scaled too much though, and make it too pixelized. I imagine that if one reduced the scaling on the MC's one would change the "camera view" to higher above the ground.

great work AndreMichelle! i didn't even notice too much difference between the slow/fast machine versions and i got a really crap pc. smooth and fast. congratulations on a really cool game.
    blink
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains the process for creating either of these Mariokart style game, or the Doom 3d style game?
    Illustrations, animations, games, and interactions on the web as you've never seen.
    SKYCASTLE STUDIOS

omg this thread has been viewed more than the hittest sticky. Anyways, there are several around the place. www.gotoandplay.it has a good one.

I have no clue what to even "search" for.... tell me?
    They have fla, but no tutorial. I'm searching for a tutorial that explains things step by step if possible.
    Last edited by Grifter730; 10-23-2003 at 05:41 PM.
    Illustrations, animations, games, and interactions on the web as you've never seen.
    SKYCASTLE STUDIOS

I was wondering if this engine works with a vectorial drawing for the map?
    I havent tried, maybe i'm too lazy
    What's a siggy?
    /oh...

suisse, that would make it horribly slow I'm afraid. You could always try and then tell me if I'm wrong

Can I Have A Hand Up Please? abehar6's Avatar
    nope you are completey right!, but there is one problem i am having strille is that i am making a super moneyball type game and i need a way to get the real boundaryies of my picture. how do i do that? also i need the sceen to tilt down on a slant when i press foward and also tilt back when i hit back.

BlinkOk, you link to the zip file of your version of the car game doen't work!
    /T\O (It's a turtle!)
    UU