dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: MarioKart style flash engine

Originally posted by AndreMichelle
    Was meinst Du mit 'ED' ?

)
    ich hab nen feinen editor mit tilebased und artbased modus zum platzieren von grafiken,wäre vielleicht ganz praktisch zum erstellen neuer strecken/maps
    ne erweiterung zum editieren von höhenunterschieden (um hügel usw. per maske rauszubilden) wäre auch ne idee,hängt aber davon ab,wie flüssig das ganze dann noch läuft.

bout the tilemapped idea,yep,it would help a lot with filesize but it would also slow down the engine a lot,something like strille´s method of just using a few big 'tiles' may be the best choice.

[Devil in DarkGreen]

very great mapping.

but camera is still fixed now , may be it's the mariokart style?

DS
    Please resize your footer. GMF ™

Hey,
    Just want to put my word in.
    Someone should make an amazing Grand Theft Auto Vice City game with this engine, that would be really cool, you could probably add hittests and everything to this engine.

Great thread ppl
    Matt

world.getCountry("france").getCity("grenoble")

split screen ?

hi i think that a split screen mode could be interesting ... it's just a test but i think to add opponent on the map and maybe collisions ?

http://dehix.free.fr/flashlab/splitscr.swf
    http://dehix.free.fr/flashlab/splitscr.zip

Yes, that could work wonderfully well. But I really think you should split the screen horizontally, because you really want the images to be wider.

world.getCountry("france").getCity("grenoble")
    hi,
    it's possible to configurate the split mode easly with the screen object inside player object (=> position, height, width)... if anyone want to add opponent clip, i try to add weapons

Just want to say that this thread has broken 10000 views, and it's the third most viewed thread ever on the Games forum!

Congratulations PercyPea!

Hi,
    I thought i try and make one of those 3d mariokart things so i grabbed one source file from this thread, and started to experiment with it.
    I am wondering how to add objects to the movie, like trees or cars, buildings ect..

has anybody got any code for that?

Thanks in advanced.

#
    This is a version a few weeks ago, I posted on flashforum (ger).
    It's a bit rough, but you can find a possible solution.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just want to say that this thread has broken 10000 views, and it's the third most viewed thread ever on the Games forum!
    How do you know that?

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    I wreckon a FPS with AI is in order :P
    And ultimately multiplayer.

How would you go about placing sprites on the field? I looked at some source code that had that ability, and I choked on it after reading a few lines.

Oh, and here's a nice camera and path engine using the 3d environment.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Hello, I'm a famous person, and I'm for sale."

Excellent work everybody, truly impressive.

This is definitely one of the best things I have ever seen in 3 years of working with Flash.

Ive just started to learn Director, and have been messing about with a 3D engine for 2D sprites that Ive been making. I would really love to try and create something like in this Director; even if it has been done before, as I want to learn through experience.

I dont get how the ground is being transformed, I know your using some method of scaling masked strips of the ground but I cant figure out the math behind it, or how you did it. Im thinking that it would be possible to distort the quads of the bitmap(s), to form the ground but again Im not sure on the theory behind it.

Ive search on google for ages for "Mode 7 tutorials", but I cant find any tutorials out there at all. Can one of you guys post some links on Mode 7 theory; or even better yet give me a brief explanation on how to transform the ground..?

In the spirit of open source, I will be happy to post any work I do, if and when I do it.

Once again congratulations on this engine; each time It seems Flash has reached its limits along comes someone like you guys and pushes the envelope further!

Covenent:Check out the link below...
    Spline-Based Racing Demo

BurnedFX, that looks infinitely better... but what's the fun in using hardware acceleration? Great example of what you can do in Director!

wow.. flash should use the hardware of a computer (graphics) ..
    maybe this should be a AS option..
    render on Direct X or on Aqua on Mac OS X
    Flash 7 go for it...

Thanks for the link BurnedFX.

I want to create a game like Mario Kart on the SNES, which is a pseudo 3D mode 7 game. I know using Directors 3D engine is most probably the most sensible way to make a mode 7 game (as demonstrated in your link); but I want to try and create that pseudo 3D retro look of old racing games like Mario Kart, and Street Racer.

I have the majority of the code of the pseudo 3D engine written already, Im going to write a camera class tonight; after that all I really need to know is how to create the ground like Percy and Strille have done here.

Ah well, back to searching through googles 1 billion indexed pages...

(thanks once again, by the way)

Covenent: I misunderstod you then on how you wanted to accomplish your game in Director. The link below I think is more 'retro' and fitting to what you were looking for. It's more of a demo rather then an actual tutorial though. =|

Mode 7 In Director

max0matic: If the flash player used hardware acceleration it would bulk up the size of the plug-in and then you might as well just use director =P

Hehehe you've given the one link that I knew of already!
    I found it through Klas Kroon's site (Outside of Society).

Thats pretty much what I want to acheive, although with a lower camera angle. That site has some great examples but it doesnt really explain much, it just gives a quick run through on tile maps which is fairly obvious anyway

I saw this image earlier on the thread, and I tried coming with a solution from it but I didnt get anywhere.

After each strip is rotated is it just being scaled vertically based on wheter it represents the foreground or the background; or is there some skewing/quading being done to it as well?

Thanks once again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

This thread should be a sticky, or at least an addition to the F.a.Q. that MBenney and Squize are building