A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's summer...

It's summer...

It's summer, and it's hot.

I checked the weather forecast on the national weather service website, and it gave me a succinct and entirely appropriate weather forecast: HOT!

Seriously, rather than the vague "mostly cloudy/mostly sunny" and blue skies that normally fill the display, it read "Hot" and had a rather intimidating image of a flaming orange ball in the sky.

Ironically enough, David Bowie was singing about the heat of the morning on my iPod as I stepped out the door.

Whose bright idea was it to wish for summer?

Speaking of bright, it's tough to read what I'm typing through the smoke still wafting off of my retina. I think my fingertips have sunburn. And I swear I lost a few pounds in the human sauna that is the NYC subway system. Luckily they turned on the air conditioning just a few moments before I had to leave the train - a tantalizing tease of cool air before I had to step out into the urban Sahara.

Getting to work involved finding the most cavernous avenues - the ones surrounded by tall buildings that might offer the slightest respite from the scorching sun. And now, after my first Vivarin-spiked cup of coffee of the day, I think I've managed to work my way up to lethargic.

Summer in NYC is awful. There are no Mai Tais, no hula girls. Perhaps people hawking cheap goods to tourists on the street, but it's not the same. Air so thick you can cut it with a knife, put some U-Bets on top, and sell it as Junior's cheesecake. If you thought people had attitude before, just wait until you grab an empty subway seat, or open a cold bottle of water.

Post your summer experiences so far, so I have something to read when my brain recovers from its gelatinous state.
    Last edited by CNO; 06-25-2003 at 09:30 AM.

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Lets see...

Winter 2003; Worst winter ever.
    Spring 2003; Wettest spring ever.
    Summer 2003; Last couple of days has been in the low 90's. In Maryland, thaty's hot (and muggy)...

summer is a
    I can only postulate the probability of performing at a paramount level of perfection praised by the pulchritudinous paragon whose only practice is to preserve such a paradigm.

we have 2 seasons down here, summer and not-summer. summer starts in late March and ends in early Novermber. the 1 week forcast during this period is a joke....

HI 95 94 95 95 96 95 94
    LO 82 81 81 82 80 82 82

i don't know why they even bother changing the numbers...i would just prefer the condensed version as you got...HOT - with extreme humidity! so next time you think it's blazing hot in NYC, be happy that you at least get seasons. but of course you have to make it through winter, and we don't.

summer experiences so far....hmmmmmm. some canoeing off the island behind my house, catching a ferrel cat, and that's about it. having a baby sure changes the level of your activity. i go on a lot more walks now, as opposed to going biking.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

its hot here too,

grab 99* here in houston and mix it in with 100% humidity...

bad combo dude...

feels like 111*

but, we got some pretty bada$$ rain with thunderstorms just yesterday. it was cool...

i live close to galveston to so, ill drive and chill there all day if i have to...
    -----
    geez lol can post fast!!!!

Until I move to a new place in September, I'm staying in the apt. above my parent's house, with a central air system that's older than I am.

The drain line for the blower is clogged. These things happen after 30 years with almost no maintenence.

I could've had a repair guy there at 3:00 on Monday, when it was still only 80 out, and taken care of it.

My a-hole of a father, decides he wants to look at it first, knowing it's clogged, without any of the proper tools, to see what he can do about it, which is absolutely nothing.

Now it's going to hit 97 today, and I can't get the repair guy until Friday. In the meantime, I get to stay on the 2nd floor, where last night, the temperature was 88 when I came home.

The worst part? I can't do any freelance work until it's fixed, or my machine will simply roast.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

I had a bad experience once at college where the central air system in the CG dept. failed, and the dept. was underground. This meant to ventilation, no windows, and machines constantly on the fritz. The topper was that the security system did work, meaning if you left a door open to catch a draft, an ear-piercing screech would keep you company while you worked.

Originally posted by gSOLO_01
    Lets see...

Summer 2003; Last couple of days has been in the low 90's. In Maryland, thaty's hot (and muggy)...

i have absolutely no complaints about the heat as long as it stays dry..i can't stand any more rain...

Re: It's summer...

Originally posted by CNO
    it read "Hot" and had a rather intimidating image of a flaming orange ball in the sky.
    I reckon that'll be the sun.

no flies on me.
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

Re: Re: It's summer...

Originally posted by swampy
    I reckon that'll be the sun.

no flies on me.
    Point of reference -
    Typical Sunny Day

Searing Flesh From Bones Sunny Day

This heat reminds me of the summers I've spent with my parents in Athens, Greece - the only difference is that down there heat waves are often followed by earthquakes.

Bad summer memories? sunburn

a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

Summer catch-phrase meme of the day:

"My skins burnin' like a Gi-Joe in the microwave!"

Originally posted by Aria
    This heat reminds me of the summers I've spent with my parents in Athens, Greece - the only difference is that down there heat waves are often followed by earthquakes.

Bad summer memories? sunburn

a

totally off subject, your greek?

summer is a great time... nice and warm, swimming, not being cold, etc.

Originally posted by alty29
    totally off subject, your greek?
    No but I was born there and my parents moved back to Greece when my dad retired. They live in Athens (Corfu in the summer). I try and visit as often as I can

a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

I'm glad summer has finally arrived. It had been raining nonstop here in DC for months and I was just about tired of it. So we'll probably have a week or so of nice weather before the insane humidity kicks in and I will be wishing for winter once again.

Man, east coast weather SUCKS! Only here do you hear people say "Wow it's nice out today!" People out here get so friendly when the weather is nice because it's such a rarity. I want to move to California where the weather is always nice.

Originally posted by gSOLO_01
    Lets see...

Winter 2003; Warmest winter ever (we finally got snow 3 days before x-mas)
    Spring 2003; Mild
    Summer 2003; It's been in the 90's for the past three weeks. In Minnesota, that's melting hot.

And I had just moved out of a nice air conditioned house.
    j

well, here in new jersey it has rained for the past 6 weeks (no joke, just non stop rain) and yesterday it was sunny and at about 4 I looked at the thermometer: 104! today is pretty hot and monday was warm as well.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

Originally posted by sk8Krog
    well, here in new jersey it has rained for the past 6 weeks (no joke, just non stop rain) and yesterday it was sunny and at about 4 I looked at the thermometer: 104! today is pretty hot and monday was warm as well.
    yeah, the big spurt of rain freakin sucked, its going to be soooo jumid all summer because of it...and very masquetoey