A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how to create growing lines?

Hybrid View

how to create growing lines?

I am trying to create some lines that grow into a box. Basically, there will be a point at the top of the box where a line will start going out from both the left and right. Then each line grows and turns twice to meet in the middle of the base of the box. I drew a line and converted it into a symbol to get the tweening to work, but when I try to scale the lines to make them longer, they also get noticeably thicker. What is the best way to avoid that, or is there an easier way to do this in general?

attached fla file for you

Is this what you wanted?

RH
    Attached Files Attached Files

You should use a shape tween to create the growing animation you are trying to attain. The only thing is you will have to keep all the tweens with ungrouped objects (no symbols). But that should acquire what you are attempting.

Just let me know if you don't know how to shape tween, its quite easy.

The box.fla is very similar to what I am trying to do. My problem is that when I try to make my lines larger, they expand in width and length. I'm pretty sure that my problem is the whole shape tweening thing. I don't exactly know how to do that...all I know how to do is create a symbol and tween that. How does shape tweening work?

Originally posted by HokieDrum
    The box.fla is very similar to what I am trying to do. My problem is that when I try to make my lines larger, they expand in width and length. I'm pretty sure that my problem is the whole shape tweening thing. I don't exactly know how to do that...all I know how to do is create a symbol and tween that. How does shape tweening work?

I believe if you make your lines 'hairline' that should not happen.
    If someone tells you it can't be done,
    it's probally because they don't know how.

AFX == P. Forsberg

dont convert

shape tween is similar to the motion tween, only you dont convert (insert) any symbol.
    Draw your line in a keyframe. Insert a keyframe 5 frames later (this will create a duplicate). Go back to the first keyframe and scale it down to a good starting point. Until it looks close to a dot basically. With the first keyframe selected, open the (frame) properties dialog box and select shape tween.
    Lather, rinse and repeat.
    That should do it.

If it doesn't, ask more detailed questions.

Good luck.
    1M.

Re: dont convert

Originally posted by 1stMoogwai
    shape tween....Lather, rinse and repeat.
    That should do it.
    The true key here is the lather. Without good lather, your shape tween will mean nothing.

RH

The lathering seemed to work for me ... Foo Fighters rock by the way

and for each different direction the line goes you have to start a new layer, correct?

AFX == P. Forsberg

correcto

otherwise the line tween would assume you are trying to tween from all lines to the additive new shape.

1M.

cool. ps- what do you think of happy songs for happy people, 1stmoogwai? im enjoying it at the moment... good stuff...

AFX == P. Forsberg

haven't had the chance to listen yet. to be quite honest, haven't listened to them since Die Young. I've been oblivious to new music since '00. Maybe I should leave my computer...

Ciao.

1M.

I ordered my copy of happy songs for happy people today, I can't wait for it to arrive
    I've been listening to a bit of come on die young recently, it made me remember how great mogwai are