A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2000 Finally Dies... Knoppix to blame:

Windows 2000 Finally Dies... Knoppix to blame:

I used Knoppix 3.2 and I think it screwed up an important system file within Windows 2K, so I need to access the internet through Knoppix to send the files through the internet from that comp to my place of work because I can't find my windows 2k disk anywhere in this mess...

How do I access the internet through Knoppix? I'm on a direct DSL connection (DSL box to comp)... I tried Knoppix's internal ADSL dialer with no luck on Konqueror (Knoppix's IE counterpart)...

I would burn it all to a CD if that was even possible, but it's not because Knoppix is being run directly from my burner, and I'm sure it's simplier to connect to the internet on Knoppix than slaving my burner, putting my other cd on primary, screwing with the jumpers and learning how to burn through knoppix...

I really wish WINE was on it's final Beta... It's a great windows emulator for exe's... But what good is it when the only program it seems capable of running at the time is Microsoft Pinball? I'm serious... It won't run any DSL program... No win POET... no winPPPoverEthernet... no connection program... All errors out...

I hope Knoppix 3.3 or higher's out soon... Or at least sooner than I find my 2k cd or back up my files so I can convert it to a Linux box...

So I conclude it was Knoppix... Well either that or my 128mb SD-RAM finally cop'd out on me... Windows 2k keeps giving me a Ram Dump blue screen of death on startup along with it's error...

Thanks guys...

-Genesis F5 (Genesis Mx)
    Last edited by Genesis F5; 06-25-2003 at 09:24 PM.

Civilian
    Genesis. I've booted into knoppix only a few times, but I thought it kept everything in RAM. Shouldn't touch your windows disks at all.

You might wanna try looking into one of these commands (standard linux for setting up IPs):

dhcpd
    pump
    ifconfig
    route

The last two need to be used together if you have to do an ifconfig.

Thanks jstarky...

I'll give that a try after a few more posts and let you know if it helped any... I would try it out now... but involves swapping this and the other comp and waiting for Knoppix to boot... not to mention the wait for 98 on this machine... I swear these 400's are going to be the death of me... They just crash and crash and crash... It's like they get a kick out of crashing... And I'm sure 128mb Ram a' piece doesn't really help the situation out either... Hopefully this weekends Circuit City will have some deals on 512 SD-RAM...

When 2k starts though it tells me there's a SECURITY file error... That either it had been deleted/missing/ or corrupted... and then procededs a dump of my physical memory to drive...

Any suggestions on what's going on there?

-genesis f5 (genesis mx)

Civilian
    Originally posted by Genesis F5
    Hopefully this weekends Circuit City will have some deals on 512 SD-RAM...
    www.pricewatch.com

Always a sale going on somewhere

What's the error u r getting and when do u get it exactly.. maybe we can help you.

Where's our resident Linux advocate, NerdInside when you need him...

-genesis f5 (genesis mx)

what's the windows error, and what version of windows are you using?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I'm using Windows 2000 Professional... And it just gives an error saying that a file entitled "SECURITY" may be corrupt/error/ or corrupt at the boot of Windows 2000 Pro...

Then it tells me it's beginning Physical Ram Dump to drive...

When it's done with that, it restarts and does the same thing all over again...

-genesis f5 (genesis mx)
    Last edited by Genesis F5; 06-26-2003 at 01:52 AM.

Where's our resident Linux advocate, NerdInside when you need him...

-genesis f5 (genesis mx)
    Banned.
    Last edited by Markp.com; 06-26-2003 at 05:20 AM.

What happened?

-Genesis f5 (Genesis MX)

What happened?

-Genesis f5 (Genesis MX)
    Nothing... move along... theres nothing to see here

boot using your Win2k CD, go into the Repair Console. Within the C:\WINNT location, there will be a hidden directory, C:\WINNT\Repair. Copy (do not move them!) the SYSTEM, and other files there without extensions to C:\WINNT\System32... after copying, reboot without using the CD. All should be ok... oh, and I'd up the size of your registry. A lot of times, corruption is caused when your registry is under 15mb of it's maximum. Take your registry limit to about 90mb for a good enough buffer. By default, it's set way too low.

look for those files before you pull a copy. I may be a bit off on where the original files are located since I'm doing this solely from memory. However google search for Security Hive Repair and it will state about the same as above. I've had to do this before in the case of damaged Registry settings, which is what's most likely stopping you from booting. The Knoppix CD didn't do that since it doesn't even touch the registry either.

Good luck. I'll double check when I get to the office and onto a Win2k machine.

Thanks Gerbick...

I jotted down the error, so here it is just for the record...

Code:
    STOP: c0000218 {Reg File Failure}
    Reg cannot load the hive file (file)
    \SystemRoot\System32\Config\Security
    Or its log is alternate.
    It is corrupt/absent, or not writable

Beginning Dump of physical memory

Dumping Physical Memory to Disk ... 00% (<--- incremental value)

I was also reading through the tutorials on Knoppix and it does suggest you do not write to an NTFS drive through knoppix because it is known to cause errors...

-genesis f5 (genesis mx)

From the C:\WINNT\Repair location, copy/overwrite the Security file (without the file extension) there.

You should be ok. If not, copy the rest of the ~\Repair files into the ~\System32\Config location... it's like reverting to last good known...

Thanks Gerbick...

I jotted down the error, so here it is just for the record...

Code:
    STOP: c0000218 {Reg File Failure}
    Reg cannot load the hive file (file)
    \SystemRoot\System32\Config\Security
    Or its log is alternate.
    It is corrupt/absent, or not writable

Beginning Dump of physical memory

Dumping Physical Memory to Disk ... 00% (<--- incremental value)

I was also reading through the tutorials on Knoppix and it does suggest you do not write to an NTFS drive through knoppix because it is known to cause errors...

-genesis f5 (genesis mx)
    Why were you writting to the HD with Knoppix at all?

By defualt the HD is locked so that you can't write to it so you had to assign write acess to the HD.

It doesn't need to write to a HD.

I wasn't writing to the hard drive, however I was trying to access my DSL dialer to connect to the internet through Knoppix... And possibally somehow running Wine corrupted a security file trying to prevent me from accessing these files...

it beats the heck out of me how this happened...

I hadn't assigned write access... I only checked out a few internal programs on it, and then tried to run the ADSL/connection manager... It did mention rewritiing a file, but I figured it was associated with the current write in the memory... It all could've all stemmed there...

Thanks again Gerbick... I'll let you know how it works out...

-genesis f5 (genesis mx)
    Last edited by Genesis F5; 06-26-2003 at 01:36 PM.

Here's an interesting twist...

The same day I had burned my Linux: Knoppix cd, I had installed a new 52x32x52 CD-RW...

Well, after a bit of reading on the forum listed below, I found that this error (c0000218), can be associated with the position of the IDE... ie, Ultra IDE... IDE... For some reason, it reads a Western Digital as an SCSI, which I have encountered problems with before, preventing an NTFS partition from being made... I had gone with Maxtor which allowed this, which is also the current HD in the problematic comp.

Now, in addition, there are success stories to disabling disk write cache in the bios and disabling LOAD ATA BIOS as well.

So I'm facing two dilemas now... it's either my IDE config... my bios config... a mixture of both... or knoppix made a write boo boo when I was accessing the DSL access files...

I'm going to put it back to the way it was before the day it corrupted and try that... also tried the advanced on startup menu and tried the "replace to last known good config"... but nothing... I'm still looking through my containers for that dane windows 2k disk... That's a good OS when you don't touch it long enough, you lose it's installation disk...

REFERENCE FORUM (problem c0000218)- Windows 2000 Pro

Thanks again...

-Genesis f5 (genesis mx)
    Last edited by Genesis F5; 06-26-2003 at 02:05 PM.

Problem resolved... or at least I hope...

This post is from here: Windows 2000 Pro (error c0000218)
    ----------
    Code:
    Well here's a new twist for you guys. I'm running currently with 256mb of memory, 
    but i have a 2nd stick of 256mb that i want to add. my computer 
    runs rock solid right now, but when i add the 2nd stick i get 
    the following error on boot up.

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} 
    The Registry cannot load the hive (file): 
    \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE 
    or its lor or alternate 
    It is corrupt, absent or not writeable 

Begining dump of physical memory. 
    Physical memory dump complete. Please contact your system administrator or technical support group. 

when i take the 2nd stick out it's all good again. I have teseted 
    the sticks seperately and they both work fine, but together i get this. It makes no  
    sense to me as because i bought both sticks 
    from the same company(Crucial).
    Any ideas?

And I had thought of this at the beginning as well because I had, had some previous errors that corrected themselves, and my programs would sometimes run sluggish and or freeze the machine...

So it seems it was Knoppix that put the final straw that broke the camel's back... It explains the physical dump to drive at least... I suppose I was writing temp to the memory when trying out the programs/ configuring the ADSL, because I had gotten an error the first time I tried to shut Knoppix down...

So now I've just got to get some more ram and hopefully all will be allright...

Is there anywhere to backdoor into the system to cut down the write cache or something to maybe squeak by on just whatever's left on my 128mb SD-RAM? I've got my machines side by side now so I can work on it easier/faster... I'm actually in Knoppix now because it allows me to access the C: drive...

-Genesis f5 (Genesis mx)
    Last edited by Genesis F5; 06-26-2003 at 04:23 PM.

Is there any real difference between PC-100 and PC-133? I notice only a fraction differce in performance results...

It's for a 400 mhz machine...

-genesis f5 (genesis mx)

can I suggest in the future, don't do a lot of hardware updates and what not and then go play with the OS until you find out that your hardware is stable?

Nice to know your setup was mostly hardware related issues though mang...

as far as the RAM, I wouldn't mix and match. Buy what you have in there... and IIRC, for a 400mhz machine, you have access only to a PC-100 bus anyway.