dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Advice on Finding Work needed

Former Member now elsewhere

Advice on Finding Work needed

Situation:

Hobbyist with Flash for about 2 years. No exp. commercially, still finishing a portfolio of example work. Have done Macromedia's Advanced Actionscripting Coursebook and a few other similar courses. I'm sceheduled to take Macromedia's FlashMX Developer Cert. exam within a few days and am 99.9% sure to pass without a hitch (I'm practically memorizing the study guide).

Presently unemployed and I'm not a very fast coder since I'm not used to doing this for a living (I'm a hobbyist who decided to get serious).

"Work" can be just about anything that pays a fair price for the completed piece. Prefer either being on a team where I could pick up tips from more experienced people or I could also take on outsourced work and do it from home (can drive to deliver the finished files in person as long as it's within 5 hours of Washington D.C.).

I'm looking for work here on these boards, on Monster and on Dice so far... any other constructive tips of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    NCD

start finding sites mate, that say "we are always looking for ....." and just email off your CV or better send them one in the post!

dont go about asking for full time work, ask for contract work for 2 months maybe and that way the usually take people on.

i'm one to talk, im unemployed aswell, but im having more response like this!

Good idea... unfortunately my surfing time is quite limited. Any tips on how to narrow the search down from the entre WWW ? :c)

NCD

Re: Advice on Finding Work needed

Originally posted by NCD

"Work" can be just about anything that pays a fair price for the completed piece. Prefer either being on a team where I could pick up tips from more experienced people or I could also take on outsourced work and do it from home (can drive to deliver the finished files in person as long as it's within 5 hours of Washington D.C.).
    being here in dc as well i wouldn't bet on landing project/freelance work without a portfolio and a lot of experience.

that said, obviously there are a hundred defense contractors in this area that use flash for e-learning...i'd pitch myself to those guys because usually the recruiters (i feel like i'm repeating myself from the other thread here) aren't going to be as sensitive about what you've already done as long as you're looking for entry level work.

but unfortunately it really will be more entry-level/production type work since you wont have that 3-5 years of real work most mid-level jobs require, certification or not.

like we said in the certification thread, the test only proves you know the software...

It's my understanding that the experienced positions (contract**) are paying around $30/hr.... I'm looking for $18-$20 and hope that it's an acceptable compromise to get on at an "entry level", as you say.

I'm presently in Culpeper, about 20 min south of Warrenton but I'm looking to relocate closer to Fredericksburg. you close enough to do lunch sometime? :c)

NCD

for instance, like this site:

http://new.media.by.tek2.com/dontyoujustloveit/

click on "be one of us" liek those sites are the best al;ternative from a proper vacancy!

although they arnt looking for anyone at the minute, cos ive already tried, lol

email me at honetrog@yahoo.com with a link to your work. I may be be in need of some flash animation work similar to the email cards on egreetings.com or bluemountain.com.

I'm also in Northern VA. Erova and I have discussed the DC freelance market in the past. I recently lucked out and hooked up with a young lady in the medical field. She's been dishing out some projects and I am charging her $40/hr. It's not necessarily what you know, (though that helps as a start) it's who you know.

LOL ain't it the truth.

Just attend many parties and meet as many people as you possibly can, that's my suggestion. And I'm being serious. I got hooked up at a friend of a friend's house party. The Lord was smiling over me that day. Erova's right, though, if you're in the DC market, Government is the way to go. Especially Defense-related.

RE:

Check this out.
    http://www.sideliners.ca

I posted it at a different forum. I scored 2 jobs. Looks pretty new though.
    "Nobody remembers who came in second."

Thanks, I joined it.

NCD