A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: alpha values

alpha values

To be able to set the alpha value of an object, must that object first be converted to a symbol? Is there any way to change alpha values of text or lines without turning them into symbols?

change alpha values of text or lines without turning them into symbols?
    If you want to change alpha dynamically (with actionscript) then you have to make them into a movie clip. Otherwise, it's just to assign a color with alpha to the textfield/line or whatever. Select the text field and open the color mixer, where you can set the alpha.

why wouldn't you want to turn it into a symbol?

you can change alpha setting for a fill color even if the object is not a symbol, but i'm not sure if you can do that dynamically...

i'm no help....

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Well, no, but you get a whole lot more control of it if it's a movie clip.

Lines, you draw the line, then use the Color Mixer, click the line color box and set the alpha to whatever with the slider.

Text, use static text, and once done, go back to the black arrow tool, click the text box and again use the Color Mixer, this time click the fill color box and slide the alpha to what you want.

Id like to do a fade in tween where the alpha value starts at 0 and goes to 100. I can do this by converting to a symbol, but I was just curious if there was another way to do it.