dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Who uses AntiVirus or fire wall, broadband connection, is it nessary

Who uses AntiVirus or fire wall, broadband connection, is it nessary

Fire Wall and Anti Virus software
    do you use it??

I have brodband, I had norton firewall installed a while ago and once in a while it would warm me about an attacker, is it REALLY nessary?

What about Anti virus software,

I allways have had problems with norton anti virus, I havent used it for yrs now and I don't have a problems. a recent AOL comerical uses Virus techniqes for their sale fo software, get for real, people dont get virus that much. and for the averrage person that connects to the internet with dial up maybe just to check mail is not going to get a virus, comon now

reformat every 3 months satifys me

what do you peeps think
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

I have a linux machine set up as my firewall... it runs Checkpoint firewall. I deem it necessary because some ports are not blocked via my local cable modem junction, my ISP, and oddly enough, even my wireless router. Not a lot of traffic comes in, but I want to know what does come through.

I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus as well on my PC, nothing on my Linux boxes, and Norton's on my Macs.

Mostly I use an antivirus mostly due to websurfing and because some people are not responsible enough to have an antivirus checking their e-mail.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I also have a router, and i use Zonealarm.. without the router, zonealarm use to pick up alot.. but now it doesn't pick up much, so that's good.. also use Nortan Anti Virus, and for killing Spyware I use Spybot S&D. Good for cleaning all that stuff out after websurfing.

But I am really at risk for not using it, I delete cookies and stuff at least every day and delete the tmp directory which I have noticed it helps, is there that much spyware and stuff I really need to worrie about

Originally posted by gerbick
    I have a linux machine set up as my firewall... it runs Checkpoint firewall. I deem it necessary because some ports are not blocked via my local cable modem junction, my ISP, and oddly enough, even my wireless router. Not a lot of traffic comes in, but I want to know what does come through.

I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus as well on my PC, nothing on my Linux boxes, and Norton's on my Macs.
    Wow. Good job there, gerbs.

I'm only hiding behind my router. But I've been thinking about setting up Linux for a firewall/router.

I don't suggest following my example not having any protection. There are loads of malicous hackers and programs floating around.

Set up a honeypot, you'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by Runes_Tooth; 06-26-2003 at 11:22 PM.

Originally posted by PCRIDE
    But I am really at risk for not using it, I delete cookies and stuff at least every day and delete the tmp directory which I have noticed it helps, is there that much spyware and stuff I really need to worrie about
    I just recently rebuilt a machine over the last weekend. And it had 8 cookies, and 2 registry additions that were not there after the initial install after just going to a few sites after I installed the OS.

Yes, two registry additions in just a little bit of web perusal with IE. After installing Mozilla (my default browser) zero since.

In otherwords, it all matters on how comfy you feel/seem. I have a tendency of not wanting to reformat for at least 6-12 months at a time, if not even longer. But that's all up to you.

it just takes me too long to set up, secure, and what not per reformat.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I will run this ad ware prgram that I have that scans the entire system including regestry, and removes and entrys that are ad and spyware, it seems to fix any problem that I have related to that.