dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New Catagory: "Dealing with Clients..."

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar

New Catagory: "Dealing with Clients..."

Greetings,

I'm running into a situation with a client's assistant and was wondering how to handle it.

The assistant has been the one suggesting changes to the client's website and now wants to be recognised on the website as "Website Consultant".

I'm feeling alittle like that would be taking our credit/title as the actual website designers.

I don't want to run the risk of appearing petty or childish in front of the client by having a confrontation.
    Has anyone else run into this, or does someone have a diplomatic suggestion for me?

Thanks in advance.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

With thanks to: [persons name]

?? Just an idea.

Moved to boardroom, you'll get a better responce here.

M

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.

Re: New Catagory: "Dealing with Clients..."

Originally posted by Loyal Rogue
    Greetings,

I'm running into a situation with a client's assistant and was wondering how to handle it.

The assistant has been the one suggesting changes to the client's website and now wants to be recognised on the website as "Website Consultant".

I'm feeling alittle like that would be taking our credit/title as the actual website designers.

I don't want to run the risk of appearing petty or childish in front of the client by having a confrontation.
    Has anyone else run into this, or does someone have a diplomatic suggestion for me?

Thanks in advance.

Since when did an assistant to a client get credits for offering suggestions (that is what they are paid for surely, to assist their boss)

But really, just ignore what he is asking until the 'client' tells you to add his employee's credits to the site. Discuss it then with him/her (the boss), not the bosses best boy.

If the assistant insists, go to the boss and explain how you feel.
    Tell him it is very unusual to credit someone for suggesting changes to a site design unless it is a major re-design.

Ask if the assistant is actually charging a consulting fee for the work that would warrant such a credit on his (the client's) website, or if he is simply fulfilling the requirements of his job which get recognition in his salary package.

david p.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

typically i would think this assistant acts as an agent of the company and as a result all ideas are inclusive of him/her working for the company.

i say you either tell him all the credit is in the logo since it's his employer, or you take it to the extreme and list absolutely everyone who emailed you.

in all seriousness, explain to him that doling out credentials and kudos for everyday work that is involved in the job description will take away from the professional feel of the site and make it look like 3rd grade art class where everyone gets a gold star so they feel good about themselves...

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I recommend you take erova's third-grade gold star and stick it in the middle of this idiot's forehead and tell 'em to piss off.

If that fails, develop better ideas of your own so you can point out that they had no part in the development of the project, removing all and any obligation to give credit.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    In my experience its very rare that a company puts credits in their site. Closest thing to that is putting it in the document header under author meta data...but I do prefer the gold star idea.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups