dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: clients who dont pay...

clients who dont pay...

How do you (or your company) deal with clients who dont pay?

I am having hassle off a bloke who keeps delaying paying for his website.

Advice please (other than sending my 6foot 7inch brother who enjoys a bit of Kickboxing)
    -----------------------------------
    Chris Green
    BREADLEGS :: DESIGN AGENCY

i tend to refer them to the flashkit collection agency based out of sketchy brazil...something like hurricaneOne graphics and collections...

in all seriousness, did you already hand over the product and files? or do you still have all the materials, and they just don't want it anymore?

Originally posted by erova
    in all seriousness, did you already hand over the product and files? or do you still have all the materials, and they just don't want it anymore?
    I have all the files and access to the hosting
    -----------------------------------
    Chris Green
    BREADLEGS :: DESIGN AGENCY

so basically you're stuck with a product that is sitting on the shelf that he doesn't want anymore? or he really wants it but just aint ponying up to close the deal?

what was the stipluation of the contract? net 30 days? 2.5% late fee of unpaid balance? another letter at 60 days past due?

how long are we talking here?

what sucks (but fair) is if you tell the client he/she has to pay in net 30 days, then they're not past due till 30 days after that. so if you drop the invoice on june 1, you really don't have any recourse (usually) until at least august 1.

Former Member now elsewhere
    Everyone is different so this may or may not appeal to you:

My strategy is to always give "samples" at every step until things are paid for and then deliver the final version. All samples have code in them that checks the status of a variable in a remote file on my server. If I don't get paid, I simply change the variable and the sample then opens with a gotoAndStop(someFarOutNumber) where I have a dynamic text field that's loaded with text I put in the remote file... usually saying that this is only a sample and that the developer has remotely disabled it.

If it can't find the file at all then the sample goes to the same frame and says it's having comm trouble with the server and apologizes for the inconvinience.

They don't pay, the file don't work. If they pay you after this you can easily re-activate the sample and then let them use it until you can deliver a final version that doesn't have this feature in it.

NCD

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by erova
    i tend to refer them to the flashkit collection agency based out of sketchy brazil...something like hurricaneOne graphics and collections...
    Now you're just going to have to unplug the phone if you want any peace at dinner time.

And another thing, Brazil is the best country for having companies pay on time. They have a national, public 'black book' that has the names of any company that has failed to satisfy a debt, and if your name is in there, you will not get squat for credit - anywhere.

Getting included in this Hall of Shame scares folks silly, enough so that they'll take the food out of the proverbial baby's mouth to make sure they do not get listed there in.

There's surely something there that the more 'advanced' countries could learn from - except for the fact that in the US and Europe, even debt can be a profit-making exercise.
    Last edited by hurricaneone; 07-02-2003 at 01:57 PM.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Former Member now elsewhere

...in the US and Europe, even debt can be a profit-making exercise.
    Can be? Hell, CEO's in the US have turned it into an art. The only thing they failed to do is convince the US citizens that it's an acceptable business practice.

NCD (one of those citizens!)