A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Clients that don't pay??

Clients that don't pay??

I am sure this has happen to some of you in the past and since I have edited my policies to reflect non-payments. This client was around before the change.

They have had an outstanding balance with me for over 90 days and refuse to pay. I have emails and other documents to reflect they wanted the work done.

Is it ethical to take their site down if they own the domain and pay a third party for server space. At the bottom of every page I create I put my name, the year and all rights reserved. The total is not enough to justify going to court, small claims or collection.

Should I take their site down or take my name off and chalk it up as lessons learned.

Thanks
    Beeks

If they havent paid it is your files, ( unless you have agreed to let them use them ) so if you have access to them via ftp I would either take them down or make some terrible spelling mistakes so they have to contact you to correct it.

It should not matter whatever domain or server they use as they dont have the rights to use your stuff, if its not theirs.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

Just as I suspected

Just as I suspected. Thanks!!

I no longer do work for anyone that can't give me half upfront and that want dancing elephants in pink tutu's on there site!!

Beeks

i'd put some placeholder site up on that domain that said something like this site was created by [your name/company] but payment has not been received. Once we receive payment in full the site will be activated.

did they try to get away without paying it or do they seem like they no longer want it. if it is the former, you should be able to receive payment, the latter however is more difficult.
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

Señor member
    It's a tough one to call because I'd be half inclined to give them notice that you will remove the site and replace it with a non payment notice but this might prompt them to change their ftp login details to block you from doing it (I guess you could do that first and then notify them instead)

It's quite a drastic step but if they've had invoice reminders and are well overdue without justification then I'd remove their site (well, change the index page filename and replace it with your own page) and go from there.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

take their site down but keep a copy of it so that if they claim legal action etc you can always replace it.

then chmod every directory to 700 so they can't be written to

In its place, put a notice that the work previously on the site had not been paid for and then put links to your site etc.

Then ring them and tell them, they'll go mad at first, ignore this bit, then wait for them to threaten legal action (again, ignore this), then wait for one of the top bosses to contact you and ask how much you require.

Charge them extra as you have been put out

You can always get your own way if you're prepared to sit it out.
    Living the dream

Thanks

Thank you for all the great ideas. Here is what I have planned to do.

We have given them 15 days notice. At the end of the fifteen days I am going to revert it back to the previous site I did for them which is two years old and all the content and dates where last update 2000 and 2001.

I will load the other site when the payment is made in full and a reconnection fee is paid.

It is kind of combination of all the feedback I have recieved.

Thank you
    Everyone!!
    Beeks

Former Member now elsewhere
    Be careful about one detail:

The files are yours but the site is not. You can take your files away but I'm not sure that you wouldn't be opening a can of trouble if you put anything on a site that does not belong to you.

Remove what's yours and leave the decision about what to put up to them. If there's nothing there then the page should 404, or perhaps you can safely restore it to what they had before as long as it's exactly what they had before. They won't be able to hold that against you.

NCD

if you give them 15 days notice, whats to stop them changing their FTP details ?
    Living the dream

Originally posted by RazoRmedia
    if you give them 15 days notice, whats to stop them changing their FTP details ?
    for most of my clients, i would say their knowlege (or lack thereof)

Originally posted by big_k
    for mostof my clients, i would say their knowlege (or lack thereof)
    more like all!