dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you do for clients hosting, domains, etc.

what do you do for clients hosting, domains, etc.

do you just tell them what to do, then let them register the domain and get hosting, do you set it up for them, or do you keep your own server and domains and have them pay you? or something eltse?

this is one aspect of freelancing that i'm still wondering about... i've done a few sites for people i know and just put them on my server, and one place already had a server, but what about the other people?

any insight into the process would be helpfull.

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    I sell them hosting from my reseller hosting account. This makes me a few extra bucks and it's easiest to admin.

As for domains, some already have them, while others I offer to register them for them at a premium...i.e. $25 a year or something like that.

I try not to rip them off for the domain....but b/c I have a reseller account with hosting, after a few clients, it's a pretty good pocket cash maker.

The Minister of No Crap

I'll do reselling through my hosting company as well. As for domains, I'll just register it for them if they wish. No big deal. I just include it all in the invoices.

Scott

I will not speak on hostign as it may sound biased
    For domain , i feel one should not rip their customers out . It should be more of a value added service you provide to the guy so that he can trust you with every aspect hence forth . If you are still interested in making money with domain reguistration ( which can be however very little ) , take a look here : http://managedomain.featuredhost.com

we have our own small dedicated server that we use to host ourselves and clients. Its just easier for us to do everything for them, first design and setup, then the monthly hosting and updates. It keeps a steady flow of money coming in each month. Also for domains, i register it for them but dont raise the price at all. an extra few dollars isnt worth a client getting mad at you later down the road which can prevent any future work from them.
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

hmm, so how does this reselling work? and where do you do it at?

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    A reseller account can be purchased from almost every single host. What it is basically is one big hosting account (say... 2GB of space and 25GB of bandwidth) ....from that one account you can split it up for your clients to purchase from you (so you could have 1 account with .5GB space and 5 GB bandwidth ; this would leave you with 1.5GB and 20GB account ...which you could make more accounts for other clients)

You pay say $30 for the reseller account and you charge $20 a client for their .5GB of space and 5GB of bandwidth. After 2 clients you'd be up $10 (2 x $20 each = $40) a month and you'd still have space to sell.

Most hosting companies only list reseller accounts that are in the $30 and up range...but if you want a smaller reseller account to start with, you should email them and ask, as most will make a custom package to suit your needs.

also a rseller account is provided with options like custom branding of control panel , personal nameservers , custom plan wizards, so that it is easier for the reseller to protect his identity as a seperate host ... and the client does not run to the direct provider. Most host would also provide support for the resellers clients . but that is a matter of policy and pricing as well at times . As a reseler you may have to take some responsibility in handling your own customers .

cool... so you can charge whatever you want, or is there a set resale price you have to go by?

i know you wouldnt want to make it too expensive, since your clients could always find out and get mad at you...

Cant say about other companies , but we set a base price for our resellers for a certain amount of WebSpace and Bandwith. Thats all , the reseller sets his own pricing with no question to us . What he charges to his clients is upto him - based on his customer base . As a matter of fact , there is a Plan Creation Wizard avaialble to the Reseller with which he can create his own plans randomly and of the fly . HE can set for his customers how many FTP accoutns , POP Email , Domains he will allow . Also , he can edit the prices and/or resources at a later stage .

Originally posted by big_k
    cool... so you can charge whatever you want, or is there a set resale price you have to go by?

i know you wouldnt want to make it too expensive, since your clients could always find out and get mad at you...

I use www.cyberservers.net and there reseller plan i came to an arrangment with him and get it mutch cheaper then his advertised price i just basically siad to him will you do it for this and he said yes. Usaully any customers around here that i mite get dont know mutch about computers and how to do anything least the clients i have so far dont. So i reg the site for them at godaddy under my name , allocate them some space and host them in the reseller plan, i maintain and update and everything involed for them. And if they get web smart and wise and want to do it on there own later one , its all set up , i can give them the loggin details passwords and there on thier own.

I like it that way then i can walk up to anyone in the street and tell them i can do all aspects of web design to ,"Get your web presence online" designing , reg domain , hosting and you dont have to know about computers be computer literate or evan go near a computer.

And have a web site reseller plan to have the business cards printed for them as well also letterhead envolopes postcards anything print.
    It's all in place now all i need is more customers which generaly means taking another walk up the street.

That's what ive done to prepare anyway and have everything in place.
    have four domains on the server now.

In all cases that I've designed for, the client has already had the domain and the hosting which left me just to design the site.

_
    I have my own reseller account, works great. Can set up everything you need.

Even if your not selling it off it helps to host more then one domain.

Originally posted by Jaffasoft
    I use www.cyberservers.net and there reseller plan i came to an arrangment with him and get it mutch cheaper then his advertised price i just basically siad to him will you do it for this and he said yes. Usaully any customers around here that i mite get dont know mutch about computers and how to do anything least the clients i have so far dont. So i reg the site for them at godaddy under my name , allocate them some space and host them in the reseller plan, i maintain and update and everything involed for them. And if they get web smart and wise and want to do it on there own later one , its all set up , i can give them the loggin details passwords and there on thier own.

I like it that way then i can walk up to anyone in the street and tell them i can do all aspects of web design to ,"Get your web presence online" designing , reg domain , hosting and you dont have to know about computers be computer literate or evan go near a computer.

And have a web site reseller plan to have the business cards printed for them as well also letterhead envolopes postcards anything print.
    It's all in place now all i need is more customers which generaly means taking another walk up the street.

That's what ive done to prepare anyway and have everything in place.
    have four domains on the server now.
    What does the print design have to do with the reseller account? Can you please explain, because I am confused.

i think he's trying to provide a full design solution including web (design, hosting, domain, updates) and print (biz cards, letterheads...). but i could be wrong
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

Yeah, my guess too. It was the part, "have a web site reseller plan to have the business cards printed for them as well also letterhead envolopes postcards anything print," that threw me off.

Yeah your right , i guess it have nothing to do with the actual cyberservers.net who i host the domain names with but more to do with marketing, which mite have been confusing.

It's just some business cards ect i have printed buy www.vistaprint.com to round of the advertising bit. I put on the cards that i'm able to Host , domain reg, web design ect and also can get business cards printed for clients. I get them printed at vistaprint (they have a affiliated program for anybody) and because there so cheap and stil of good quality and glossy , i sell them at 80 -100% profit.

Put it this way i'm only just getting going in it i have put one add in the local paper so far which cost me 50$ rem this is Australian dollars. And have printed 5 dif cards. vistaprint sends the cards out from wherever they are, i think its America , it takes a month and a half for them to get here (which is the only downfall). I get 250 cards for $14 and sell them for around $70.
    I really should get into it and market it more and focus more on it because theres lots of money to be made in it. I priced around at what the average price is to have bus cards printed in and around this small country area and its about $200 they are used of paying for 250 cards. They think there getting a cheap deal at $70 for 250.

Vistaprint is happy because effectively i am a worker for them and also though i only advertise for my own business i am giving advertisements to vistaprint, the client is happy because he thinks he got a good deal , and im happy because i got a good amount of profit.

Further vistaprint are feverish in the marketing often you receive 30% of anything in there premium bus cards range 50% off 80% off birthday deals . They always got deals going on.

So there you go if your in Australia or i guess is your clever you could tap into this market over here from wherever you are anywhere in the world and make 1 or 2 bucks on the side.

Ohh i see what was confusing now it was the reseller plan bit.

Its just the reseller affiliated thing with www.vistaprint.com a sepperate web site , as i've went into about.

jaffasoft - just a tip - you might want to get some local printers on your side too. If you're doing a site + business cards, 1 - 2 months waiting time might not be too much because the site might take that long anyway. But usually with business cards customers want them quick, perhaps 2 hours, 1 day or something like that. If they have to wait for 2 months, however cheap it might be, they'll probably go elsewhere...

- n.

Yes , it would possibly be better to get a deal with a local printing company and for them to do the cards cheaper if i generated business for them. This would be a quick delivery fix for customers who need them quick. Though i'm already cheaper then any other printers around here and it's just because there so small and in small country towns, i actauly beat the local paper company who boast to be the best for any printing needs. But this is only because of vistaprint.com so it's realy there credability, prices and quality that makse it viable they must be very big. Though they have a speedy delivery it takes an estemated three weeks for that. This is the main real problem to this not being perfect. Vistaprint in resent months bought out there Australian site vistaprint.com.au but they stil send them out from America.

Actauly your inspiring me more to do this and get of my arse i really havent been doing mutch with it.

I guess i could say well to get them overnite it will cost x amount of dollars more to cover for local costs. And intice them to a cheaper price if they do not mind waiting three weeks. And the best price of all if they are not in a hurry and are prpared to wait month and a half.

Just last nite i hooked up with a mate and organised to make him a web site and cards for his painting business it will be his first web presence and business card, he has never advertised his business in 15 years and has always been on word of mouth. It just thinks hey it would be cool to have a website. He is a very good sterio type of the type of people and businesses in this area that just need to be approached and talked into to get a web site. You wouldnt beleive how uneducated the people are around here in relation to the internet. I have never talked to another human being since i have taken up flash in two years ever. Never talked to another human being about a flash program only have known you guys on the forrum. I'm getting carried away.

Bye.