A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Detecting Flash for a demo projector file

Hi,

I have another question that could really help me out.
    I've been at my new job for about a month now, and they want me to write a demo CD. I've considered doing it with Director, but I'd really like to give it a go with flash...

Anyway, my question is this. Is there a way for a projector .exe file to detect a computer that doesn't have a flash player installed and thus, say, open a window with
    CDBROWSE for them to run and install the player?

This is probably my biggest concern. With Macromedia Director anyone can just run the .exe and it will work, but with Flash projector files, a customer would have to have the flash plug-in installed.

Please - can anyone help, I don't really want to include a readme.txt on the CD, saying if your demo doesn't work go to folder x and install this.

Thanks in advance.

Gav.

If its a projector, the user doesn't have to have the Flash player cause its embeded into the file!!

If you have a flash file in an HTML file on the CD then you will have to have the Player!!

Im doing a CD at the mo aswell!!

Smile

Thanks mullz, that's excellent news - for some reason I was under the impression you also needed the plug-in.

Have you seen that tutorial that shows you how to customise the look and feel of the projector? (i.e. remove right clicks, and change 'about boxes' etc.)

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/ad...ute_proj.shtml

Gav.

Originally posted by mullz
    If its a projector, the user doesn't have to have the Flash player cause its embeded into the file!!

If you have a flash file in an HTML file on the CD then you will have to have the Player!!

Im doing a CD at the mo aswell!!

Yeah I was going for that, ended up to be more complex than I thought

Try going here if you've got some money spare!

http://www.jugglor.com

It does everything

O.k so its not that address...hold on a min!!

http://www.***********.com

Thats better!

Unfortunately I don't have the cash to spend, but I found the other one okay to use, especially after following the tutorial.

The one big problem I do have using flash as opposed to director - is video! The only way I can see around it is to launch any video's as QuickTime mov's - at least then I can add graphics and animation to it using flash.

It's a shame you can't embed video's and then use them in a .exe.

Gav.

Use Flash for the Main.exe file and use FS Command to call off a Director .exe with video in it!

Thats what im doing!

I thought about doing it that way - it would certainly save time converting video's from one format to another. Still I think if you have it in .mov format then there's quite a lot of cool stuff you can do with it in flash.