A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: mx unicode mac vs pc

mx unicode mac vs pc

I have been trying to use unicode in flash mx and have found there is a difference in mac and pc display.

as a test I used:
    test ="\u1200\u1320\u1201\u1232 **** -_-_| AaBb";

On a pc with the right font (code2000 for example) it displays unicode chars and the rest of the stuff fine.
    On a mac the unicode shows up, (even without setting the font _sans works) but the unicode text seems to be shifted down and the - and _ chars are vertically aligned, the other characters are moved down so that the top is aligned with the - and _ chars.
    The unicode displays ok in textEdit on the mac.
    As my explaination is probably not to clear I've put a page with this simple swf and mac and win screenshots here.
    <http://www.jhj.dircon.co.uk/unicodemacpc.html>
    This has lead to problems when I use a auto size textfield to display the text on the mac you only see the top of unicode characters. There is a wee screenshot of that and the code I used at the bottom of the page noted above.
    All the mac stuff is OS X.
    Any hint and pointers appreciated.

Code2000 is not a standard, preinstalled MAC OS Font.

Trying your code i get an output with the first four displayed as the "ETHIOPIC 1200 13FF" sign, the other chars are aligned correct ly, looking similar to your Mac Text Edit screenshot.
    juggernart.com

Thanks for checking this out, I was using Code2000 because it has a wide range of chars.
    this show an attempt with some other fonts and no set font. the -_ chars are better aligned but the Ethiopic ones sit too far down and the bottoms are missing.
    Again any ideas please.

You must have installed a special font on the Mac that has the Ethiopic symbols.
    Lucida Sans Unicode does not have them. You can check that in the Character palette of OSX.

I think the misalignment is caused by that font.
    juggernart.com

Thanks your right, it was the Code2000 font. I found Ethiopia Jiret and it seems to work fine. It was the fact that Code2000 works fine in TextEdit that threw me.
    I also noticed that Code2000 takes over any unicode if I don't set the text font or as you pointed out I set it to a font that doesn't have Ethiopic chars.

BTW when I test the same swf on Win XP it just shows a set of wee squares, unless I set the font to Code2000. I looks like flash or os X looks for a font on the system with the unicode chars, but xp doesn't, but I may not have set the win machine up right.

Thanks
    John

Another problem I have is my Character palette in OSX isn't working, it appears briefly then vanishes, only to pop up for a second when I don't expect it!