dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Refelting A Pool Table...

Official Vermont Photo Mod WannaBe_80z's Avatar

Refelting A Pool Table...

anyone have a pool table? and ever refelted it? we got this 8'x4' table for free from my moms freidns perfect condition just needs new felt, has paint spilled over it...Well is it easy to refelt it, could i do it myself? if so i will just buy this black felt i found on ebay for like $40 with S&H...?

I have never done anything like that, but my geuss is that it would be hard to do, and you probobly need good qaulity felt

yeah i am buying "champion Pool Table Felt"...i guess i will googlize this and see what i come up with

I think it'd be best to call in a pro on this one - it shouldn't cost too much and they'll have all the tools to get it done right first. It will probably cost less than attempting to do it yourself.

Look at it this way - if you get really good on your newly-felted table, you can go to the local pub and hustle back the money you spent on the job.

http://www.poolndarts.com/store.cfm/cat/76.cfm

Mueller Sporting goods has lots of the stuff you might need to do the job if you want to go down that route - books on the subject as well (you can always look up the title and take it out/request it from the local library).
    Last edited by CNO; 08-16-2003 at 10:21 PM.

thanks alot CNO, i was talking with my mom and her friends used to refelt tables for bars and stuff...$700 a pop...nice job haha...but he lives in Florida..hmhm i will see how hard it is going to be

No prob. I imagine it would depend on the size of the table (though most bars tend to have the smaller tables).

Why not offer to make him a web site for his business in exchange for refelting your table?

hmhm not sure if that is what he does anymore...but good idea haha

I am going to be doing this to my table in a few weeks. From what I have learned it really isn't that hard. The hardest part is going to be the cushins around the edge, but even thoughs shouldn't be to hard. Goto a sporting goods store that carries the felt, and I am sure they will give you some pointers.the key is to make sure you get the felt pulled tight. I would also go for a high quality felt, it will last longer.
    John Starkey: So what if I have had sexual relations with Saddam.

Looking for a webhost, paid, free, or dedicated? Check out this thread, to get my reviews.

Yup, its def a pro job. My uncles best friend runs his own pool/arcade business. The cloth needs to be fitted professionally, depending on what level of play you want of course.

You need the "knap" to run the right way, it should also be streached slightly but more importantly evenly. I can ask him next time I see him if you like.

But if you want a table that you and your friends can mess about on then just do it yourself

refelting is a 4 person job, you need some people to pull the felt tight and the other one attache it to the wood
    Jonny Stick hands went sleeping with the stick fishes

we used to have a pool table and refitted it quite often over the years. The most impostant thing to remember (apart from good quality cloth that won't 'bobble') is to wet the cloth then stretch it tight and even when you attach it to the bed. When the cloth dries it will be tight and smooth. If you don't wet it you'll never get a flat surface.

no idea if this is how pros do it, we just made it up thru trial and error, wasn't that hard though.