A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: billybussey.com V2

awesome work...

but first of all... some of you hardcore BB fans should stop attacking anyone who made some slight objective critics to the site. Even if others sound like an ass, itz their opinion on this public forum, so your defending the site like BB is god is kinda... annoying -__- sorry I had to let that out, sorry if I offended anyone, maybe do that on BB forum... but this is where sites get criticized, for better or worse, so it will get better. and "let's see if you can do better than him then?" is not an excuse for ppl to not express their feelings towards the site... ok I shaddup now (btw I was one of the earlier member on the BB forum so I respect his works lots)

the site itself is brilliant in its 3D work, as every1 can obviously see... but like some1 said perviously, this is not a website, but more suitable for a presentation, and I think that makes sense, at least not as a traditional website of today's standards. Maybe in the future all websites will be like that, full of imported video and sequential bitmaps, who knows. But I feel right now the transitions are a bit too crazy (serves little cept add on rastor images to load) with little content or purpose, even as an eye candy site. But I am sure once he has all the content up, it will be much much better
    he is a great designer, as shown by BBV1, and the BBv2 layout, the presentation, etc... but you guys talked about BB advertising himself as a 3D artist in the future, I personally do not think he is yet up to the standards of most Pro CG artist who finished from art school, as brilliant as his 3D works are now. Thus, I doubt he wants to be an animator or CG modeler etc... but to apply his knowledge of 3D on the web, with a bit more caution, his works will be unbelievable.

Personally I liked BBV1 better as a website, but this serves as a really nice eye candy which I will watch once and be blown away, like a movie trailer, but never watch again or feel the need to find information from...

ok I wrote so much jibberish

good job Billy, congrats on the release

heart

This is like the biggest week for web site releases, it's amazing.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

i love this one

billy is cool

not much flash

hope billy learns flash

billy good job

bye billy
    I can only postulate the probability of performing at a paramount level of perfection praised by the pulchritudinous paragon whose only practice is to preserve such a paradigm.

Is it just me, or has Bussey been relying on graphics
    too much? I had expected a little bit more of Flash
    actionscripting or something like that. Hmm...
    I actually had a feeling of inbalance between
    graphics and content. Hm, that's just me though.
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

i agree venio

lets persuade billy to put use some flash!
    I can only postulate the probability of performing at a paramount level of perfection praised by the pulchritudinous paragon whose only practice is to preserve such a paradigm.

It was "ok"

I started digging into 3D Studio Max a few months ago... bought a few books... and was forced to stop a couple weeks ago because I was tied down at work. I got the overall feel of how it works (which really isn't that hard if you look at it from the correct angle). The 3D work in this website is far from great. Yes, its really really good... and it will impress anyone who has no idea how to make these things, but I wasn't impressed.

I'm not trying to be a hardass here guys... I'm serious... I really wasn't impressed. I know the best answer to that would be "who asked you?", but I am just putting in my 2 cents here, sorry if i, well, "offended" anyone...

If anyone here is familiar with 3D production they know that there are 2 things that make 3D Production difficult, assuming you learned how your 3D developement tool of choice functions and learned all it's options:
    1. Creating a 3D Model, or groups of models, based on real-life objects (such as lifeforms, cars, water, clouds, etc).
    2. Animating them.
    3. Texturing them.

The BB website does none of these 3 things. Basically, he created a bunch of rectangles, squares and spheres... moved them around to form a tunnel... cut them out a little bit to give them edge and that's it. I mean, they weren't even textured. The transitional effects may have took some time, but they weren't very revolutionary... using the simple motion blur and "white light at the end of the tunnel" business.

If you're wondering about the 3D Billy (if was 3D) where he's standing between two walls... either it was done in Poser (which is EXTREMELY easy) or he made it hard on himself and modeled it from scratch... which doesn't show much skill since he didn't show any features, other than a hat, neck, arms and a shirt.

The "minority report" touch pad was a good idea, but, again, using the right technology it isn't really difficult. He recorded himself at his table and then put a screen in front of his face, added some animation at the fingertips.. that's all.

I know I'm going to get bashed for this post (that sentence is my way of trying to NOT get bashed, lol). Yes, it must have been hard work and, yes, not many people can do it and, yes, he deserves to be praised for doing it... but it wasn't anything special in the area of 3D or flash.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Great job BB.
    www.3rd-id.com

interesting

There's a difference between knowing how to do something and actually doing it. Making a site like that takes creativity, I know a few people that know how to use Flash and 3ds Max really well, but when it comes to actually making something original and kick ass they can't.

I've been using 3ds Max for a couple of month's now myself, and the only thing I found kinda "cheesy" is the explosion he used for the transitions, where all the squares fly out, it's something not hard to do, I could even do it.

Re: It was "ok"

Originally posted by Mr_King_Kong_Zilla If you're wondering about the 3D Billy (if was 3D) where he's standing between two walls... either it was done in Poser (which is EXTREMELY easy) or he made it hard on himself and modeled it from scratch... which doesn't show much skill since he didn't show any features, other than a hat, neck, arms and a shirt.
    huh i thought thaz jus a 2d image zooming in, in the intro?

Re: Re: It was "ok"

Originally posted by FFuryFX
    huh i thought thaz jus a 2d image zooming in, in the intro?
    It could be, but the plus side about working in 3D is that you can make an object detailed and zoom out and zoom in with the quality staying the same. In 2D, the pixels would get large and it would create an unrealistic effect. There are ways to get around that in 2D, but mixing 3D and 2D can get more cumbersome. If it was in 2D, then that means that BB ONLY made those rectangles and circles that I was talking about... which reinforces my point.
    www.3rd-id.com

I agree it might not be too hard if you have the right tools and a bit of knowledge but that really only describes potential. Here is someone that went out and did something with it.

that to me is the big difference between him and the thousands of others with copies of a 3d app and after effects.

returning member

Originally posted by Mr_King_Kong_Zilla
    I started digging into 3D Studio Max a few months ago... bought a few books... and was forced to stop a couple weeks ago because I was tied down at work. I got the overall feel of how it works (which really isn't that hard if you look at it from the correct angle). The 3D work in this website is far from great. Yes, its really really good... and it will impress anyone who has no idea how to make these things, but I wasn't impressed.

I'm not trying to be a hardass here guys... I'm serious... I really wasn't impressed. I know the best answer to that would be "who asked you?", but I am just putting in my 2 cents here, sorry if i, well, "offended" anyone...

If anyone here is familiar with 3D production they know that there are 2 things that make 3D Production difficult, assuming you learned how your 3D developement tool of choice functions and learned all it's options:
    1. Creating a 3D Model, or groups of models, based on real-life objects (such as lifeforms, cars, water, clouds, etc).
    2. Animating them.
    3. Texturing them.

The BB website does none of these 3 things. Basically, he created a bunch of rectangles, squares and spheres... moved them around to form a tunnel... cut them out a little bit to give them edge and that's it. I mean, they weren't even textured. The transitional effects may have took some time, but they weren't very revolutionary... using the simple motion blur and "white light at the end of the tunnel" business.

If you're wondering about the 3D Billy (if was 3D) where he's standing between two walls... either it was done in Poser (which is EXTREMELY easy) or he made it hard on himself and modeled it from scratch... which doesn't show much skill since he didn't show any features, other than a hat, neck, arms and a shirt.

The "minority report" touch pad was a good idea, but, again, using the right technology it isn't really difficult. He recorded himself at his table and then put a screen in front of his face, added some animation at the fingertips.. that's all.

I know I'm going to get bashed for this post (that sentence is my way of trying to NOT get bashed, lol). Yes, it must have been hard work and, yes, not many people can do it and, yes, he deserves to be praised for doing it... but it wasn't anything special in the area of 3D or flash.

Great job BB.

I really hate to say this, but I think it applies here. How are we to know you can do any better? Prove yourself. Sure, it may not be that difficult, but obviously he got the effect he was aiming for. It was pleasing to the audience, and sparked conversation, and he got praise. I really don't see what the point would be in making something as complicated as you propose, if it is not needed to get a good reaction from viewers. It would be a waste of time, and probably add even more to the loading times (which by the way, I had no trouble with). I mean, texture!? Who gives a damn!? Smooth plastic/metal robotic arm things like that don't need texture. Theyre smooth. I thought it was an interesting tecnique.

AS for the people that said this was just a shpwcase that should be on a promo DVD, well.. Duh, isn't that what an online portfolio is? A promotion of your work? Gah, leave him alone, he can do whatever he wants, its his own damn site.

despite what anyone says the dude's got skillz no doubt. nice site but feels somehow disconnected as a whole... doesn't seem to be anything that glues it altogether... perhaps this will be reflected in the final version. nice stuff.

I agree 100% with you aversion. If you compare the number of people that were inolved with 3D and web production in say, 1998, to how many people are involved in it now... well... you can sh*t a brick

The reason is that it has become really, really, really, easy. 3D used to be ALL mathematical. Web design used to use nothing but plain HTML in notepad. There was no such thing as Dreamweaver and 3D Studio Max. Now, to create a simple website all that you need to do is get your hands on a copy of Dreamweaver and fiddle around with the tools for a day... and you can pump out a great looking peice of work in a matter of hours. Now, it's all about knowing exactly what button you click to get the desired affect, so a person can create a nice looking peice of graphic and pun it off as marvelous.

Again, I'll never call myself a master, but before even laying my hands on 3D, I've been practicing the art of hand drawing and animation. That's why I really respect FI's work. The 3D they compose is either based on a real object (like the latest: tanks, airplanes, etc). Nevil also has some incredible things on his website too. Those are great peices of 3D.

Argh, I have a lot to learn, lol.
    www.3rd-id.com

very interesting

w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar
    Mr_King_Kong_Zilla - I think you are missing the point here, you can be as fancy as you want in 3D, it doesn't mean that you have to and if billy was creating complex animated characters in 3D then he would probably be working in film special FX or games. Besides this isn't about how good this 3D is compared to 3D in general, it's how well is been used to build a navigation system and intro to a website.

A few people commented on how this site would be more appropriatly used on a dvd presentation, hmm, bad idea, the internet - the greatest marketing tool ever, get your product in front of hundreds of thousands of people for minimum of cost, lets say billy wanted to get his new presentation out there, would it be best that he burn of 500 dvd's and randomly post them to big companies, many of which may never land in the right persons mail tray, not to mention that would cost a fortune, or build his presentation into an interactive website that could not only promote itself by attention from threads like this (no work involved by billy) but also if he wanted billy could email the right people in 500 companies for free.
    Also billy like myself probably does what he does not just to get clients but to release his work for the flash community to enjoy, this wouldn't be much good on DVD.

Another point, people are saying they want to see more flash? what does this mean, elements that are drawn using flashes drawing tools, there is no set rule for what elements a flash site should have, the first thing that attracted me to flash was that it allowed me to combine various forms of media - sound, video, photography, etc, flash is the handling tool, so if video is the majority then flash has done it's job and its a "flash" site. I think that what people are looking for with the more traditional flash elements, vector drawn boxes and such where all born out of the modem dial up development days of 3-4 years ago, we all wanted to go straight into bringing 3D and video into flash but soon realised that it wasn't going to wash, thats where sites like 2A v1 became so popular as they made the unpopular option of flat simple modem friendly design look cool. I think if we all had broadband 4 years ago then most of us would have spent this time learning more 3D and video to build sites like this, but instead we have stayed clear of heavy sites and spent our time developing skills to make flat simple design interesting and cool which is why it's hard to find original websites anymore, imagine what could be done if all us flashers had 4 years of 3D and video under our belts, there would be loads of amazing stuff, and once you start dealing with the 3rd perspective and video its much easier to create something original.

Man am I rambling on, this is officially my longest post ever

ok so thats the issues I wanted to give my opinion on, now the site,

brilliant.

My only negative comment, well more advice than anything is that most of the bugs and unfinished parts could have been fixed in what 3 days, it would have been better to wait those three days and get them fixed first, I know how tempting it can be, you just want to get your work out there for everyone to see, but patience is a virtue.

If anyone has managed to read this far then thankyou

2. Animating them.
    3. Texturing them.

Great job BB.

OMG please. I have been working in 3D for 6 years. The stuff in the site is not ground breaking, but holy ****, Bad ass. There is a lot more to 3D than making stuff look real. One of the things I hate the most is when you see people getting credit for making a wine glass sitting on a table look real... Try putting a wine glass on a friggin table and taking a picture, it's a lot easier.

I would like to see even a still image that you created that has half the style of the stuff on Billy's site.

Don't get me wrong I was expectiing a little more interactivity like the fantasy interfaces stuff, but Billy did a damn good job. Not to mention this is just a portfolio for him to show off his 3D work. I say good job Billy, and I bet he gets plenty of paying work from this!

Keep on sucking Billy!!!! We love it.
    ----------------------------
    Felix_Man
    "Shop smart... Shop S-MART"

2. Animating them.
    3. Texturing them.
    If anyone here is familiar with art there are 2 things that make it difficulut.
    1. reproducing real life
    2. making 'things' look good

Somehow some of the greatest and most inovative artists were miserable at number 1.

(Oh btw, this is not a shot at BB technical skills, which are amazing IMO.)
    Last edited by 52oz; 07-14-2003 at 08:46 PM.

Originally posted by nevil
    Mr_King_Kong_Zilla - I think you are missing the point here, you can be as fancy as you want in 3D, it doesn't mean that you have to and if billy was creating complex animated characters in 3D then he would probably be working in film special FX or games. Besides this isn't about how good this 3D is compared to 3D in general, it's how well is been used to build a navigation system and intro to a website.

A few people commented on how this site would be more appropriatly used on a dvd presentation, hmm, bad idea, the internet - the greatest marketing tool ever, get your product in front of hundreds of thousands of people for minimum of cost, lets say billy wanted to get his new presentation out there, would it be best that he burn of 500 dvd's and randomly post them to big companies, many of which may never land in the right persons mail tray, not to mention that would cost a fortune, or build his presentation into an interactive website that could not only promote itself by attention from threads like this (no work involved by billy) but also if he wanted billy could email the right people in 500 companies for free.
    Also billy like myself probably does what he does not just to get clients but to release his work for the flash community to enjoy, this wouldn't be much good on DVD.

Another point, people are saying they want to see more flash? what does this mean, elements that are drawn using flashes drawing tools, there is no set rule for what elements a flash site should have, the first thing that attracted me to flash was that it allowed me to combine various forms of media - sound, video, photography, etc, flash is the handling tool, so if video is the majority then flash has done it's job and its a "flash" site. I think that what people are looking for with the more traditional flash elements, vector drawn boxes and such where all born out of the modem dial up development days of 3-4 years ago, we all wanted to go straight into bringing 3D and video into flash but soon realised that it wasn't going to wash, thats where sites like 2A v1 became so popular as they made the unpopular option of flat simple modem friendly design look cool. I think if we all had broadband 4 years ago then most of us would have spent this time learning more 3D and video to build sites like this, but instead we have stayed clear of heavy sites and spent our time developing skills to make flat simple design interesting and cool which is why it's hard to find original websites anymore, imagine what could be done if all us flashers had 4 years of 3D and video under our belts, there would be loads of amazing stuff, and once you start dealing with the 3rd perspective and video its much easier to create something original.

Man am I rambling on, this is officially my longest post ever

ok so thats the issues I wanted to give my opinion on, now the site,

brilliant.

My only negative comment, well more advice than anything is that most of the bugs and unfinished parts could have been fixed in what 3 days, it would have been better to wait those three days and get them fixed first, I know how tempting it can be, you just want to get your work out there for everyone to see, but patience is a virtue.

If anyone has managed to read this far then thankyou

wow... so true... if the technology of broadband internet and television were blended together sooner, every "site" will b like a commercial... a video presentation, full of 3d and footages etc...

i guess in the future the flat 2D techno site design will be looked upon as some sorta stupid ancient way of making website...

ya i wish i have 4 years of 3D... instead I spent 2 years playing with flash, now recently started to work on 3D... and I felt I have wasted so much time on an amateur program like flash... sigh

Nevil makes excellent points, as does Felix.

Billy, the site rocks. I'd agree (again) with Nevil about the three day thang, but hey you delivered and ontime.(ish) ha ha.

Sometimes I wonder about some of you guys..you want it more "real", more "Flash" ? Not realistic enough ?

I would imagine most of those comments come from 'Flash Surfers', not people who actually create to eat.

<<ducks, c'mon guys kinda kidding.... but only kinda.....it sure got us guys talking, neat Billy.