A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash MX Certification

Flash MX Certification

Has anyone gotten their Certification in Flash MX? If so, what were some things that helped you with getting it? Were there certain books that you bought that helped? Did just going through all of the tutorials in www.flashkit.com do the trick? Give me some ideas, if you can.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm going for the Developer Certification within the next month or so and I've been studying the books: ActionScripting in Flash MX by Phillip Kerman and Flash MX Savvy by Ethan Watrall and Norbert Herber. Each book are good in my opinion but I would like to have more resources if possible.

Something else I would like to know is how much has your Certification helped you with work, whether it's freelance, your own company or your regular employment.

Thanks for all of your input.

Check out the Flash MX Bible and/or the Flash MX Actionscript Bible.

Flash MX Bible just works with the basics, but Flash MX Actionscript goes deep into the actionscript of Flash MX. Strongly recommended.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Thanks ViRGo_RK. I'll check those two out.

i picked up my designer cert. at macromedia dev con just cuz they had a special on it and I used flash every day...

i've since picked up the actual developer study guide to prepare for the exam but honestly i haven't had the time to take the test and i've had enough work i don't know if it makes a difference, which leads me to your point about the jobs...

basically what i've found is that in some instance it helps with recruiters and HR type people who know little about the applications you use, but i've also found it to be somewhat of a hindrance.

for example, one potential job called me up based on some of my resume for some flash development work that wasn't any different than what i do for my day job. well since i had a designer cert and not the dev they thought all i knew how to do was a bunch of motion tweens and alpha fades and no matter how many code samples i sent them, i couldn't get them off it.

i'd recommend taking the exam for the hell of it, but don't expect the pearly white gates of heaven to open up once you pass...

I wanted to get both certifications but figured the Development would have been worth more in weight. I guess it would depend on what the company is looking for. Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have both on my resume and incorporate some portfolio pieces. Thanks for the tip erova.

yeah dude i'm not tellin you not to get it, but i think macromedia makes a bigger deal out of it than it's worth...

i think people with decent skills, solid portfolios, and a good education will be far better off than some knucklehead who bangs out an 84 but doesn't have anything to show for it..

How hard is it to finish the certification? Cost?

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

there's no process at all...pay about a buck fifty and score an 80 or better..

I want to be certified.
    I love flash.
    I should be certified cause i am at post 999
    and ya.
    I can only postulate the probability of performing at a paramount level of perfection praised by the pulchritudinous paragon whose only practice is to preserve such a paradigm.

books?

Has anyone tried picking up the book published by Macromedia's press?

Here's the title:
    Certified Macromedia Flash MX Developer Study Guide

I'm trying to get my certification, but was wondering if this book is worth the money.

Thanks.

better to pay 30 bucks list do well than to pay 150 and fail.

besides, it's a good resource to have anyway. i use it as a damn reference along side the definitive guide and and actionscript cookbook.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by erova
    i'd recommend taking the exam for the hell of it, but don't expect the pearly white gates of heaven to open up once you pass...
    I'm thinking that most people taking the test are hoping (maybe even expecting?) not to see the pearly white gates of heaven for at least a couple of years.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

i got a flash 4 cert..am i behind in the times

I got my Certification like 2 weeks ago, its pretty simple, you can even download the requisites and an example exam for you to study from the macromedia site.
    There are also some books at www.barnesandnoble.com meant to help you with the exam (with both exams, the one for designer ertifiaction and the developer cert.)
    |"Silence teaches you how to sing"