A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Jobs? What does everyone here do?

I just graduated from a university recently and was curious what kind of salaries and work there is. I've researched some web design-related work, and many of them stated that you had to know all sorts of programming stuff like Java, ASP, CGI, etc.

But I don't know that much about programming but I do know Flash, HTML, some Javascript, and the graphics and illustration programs which is what I'd like to do anyway--more of the design side. Does anyone know the salaries for this type of work? The bad thing is, I don't have any professional experience doing this work and some of the job descriptions want that.

Anyone know how to get around this dilemma? I'm not about to work for $24K/year with a Bachelor's degree so any advise would be appreciated.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    I would say you are going to have to pay your dues, Look I work for the US Navy and I can tell you I'm earning more on the side than I do from the Govt. But I could never get the benifits or have the security I have in a production house. 24 a year is not that bad. everybody wants to earn the $$$ up front. If its a good company and you can grow I would go for it. Regards, Bill
    [Edited by Pope de Flash on 06-16-2000 at 11:42 PM]

Beyond the Sea

resolved

Actually, $24K/year just out of college sounds pretty good to me. Maybe it was the market at the time I got out, or maybe just my portfolio back then, but no agencies would touch me after I graduated. It took me a good year and a few months to finally break in, working as a customer service whipping boy for a fabulous credit card company...but now I'm at one of the top agencies in the world, on the bottom rung, to be sure, but I'm in the door

Rich
    http://www.richpaul.com

resolved

You should start at 24,000 and believe me your next job is around 42,000 to 48,000 a year and that is only by having only 3 to 6 months of professional experience. That is what happened to me. Just keep looking even after you get a job always keep looking for a higher paying job. I am a flash/html/javascripting developer by the way. after one year of professional experience in the industry, I am making
    48,000 a year. I am looking at making 60,000 a year by the end of this year.

Yep.
    I just started in the graphic side of the industry. And, let me tell you, I wish I was making $24 000... Anyway, you have to work your way up to the big salaries. Might be tough at first, but you'll get there eventually!

Smile Are you experienced ?

riteshb,

If I had a dollar for everytime I've heard this I'd be a very rich bunny. All IT areas are the same.. no experience equals no job. Companies just aren't willing to take on trainee's anymore, but they're the first ones to squeal about the skills shortage... ******s. I made my start many years ago by offering to work for... well nothing really. I knew without experience I was screwed so I offered to work for 3 months at 240 pounds ($360)/month. And I had 2 university degrees !
    However, where there's a will there's a way. I've got work that pays $50/web page which is not great, but it gets you the all important URL's you need for a portfolio.

Cheers,

Evil.

Thanks for the replies, I think I just got bumped out because my other friends who majored in CIS or just some business degrees started making mid-30s to 40s starting out with no experience. I felt like I just wasted 4 years of my life in college. My degree is Technical but it's spread out in that I learned multimedia, web, print, computers.

Don't give up the banner. If it is something you really enjoy and are into, it will pay off sooner or later. They may be making more, but are they really happy and creative? You didn't waste your time in college, you made an investment. Now you have to market it. Keep the faith.