dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: text not appearing

text not appearing

I posted this in fonts originally, but havent seen a response-

does anyone know why text doesnt appear inside an array?
    I have a main movie that loads separate movies - each separate movie contains an array. When I test all of these together in the main movie, the text disappears. I could put the FLA's up, but if anyone knows a quick answer to this, it would be great.

Im using flash MX

thanks!

check out http://www.quintessence-media.com/qu...ence/main.html to see it in action-

http://www.quintessence-media.com/q...sence/main.html

Banned
    That old project still?

Just a thought...

Have you tried embedding the font used in your textfields?

haha! yes that old thing-
    I got sidetracked you could say-
    but now I have all my text, and all my content, images etc, and wow- no fonts! I am not sure if Ive ever embedded fonts. I looked that up in help and it didnt say how to-
    im just using verdana anyways-

Banned
    Select the textfield, hit the Character tab in the textfield's properties, and select Embed All...
    No harm in trying...
    Can't remember how your .fla went, but if you're using any masking, or tweening of textfields, than that might be the answer to your problem. If it does work on one, you'll have to embed the font in all your textfields...

I dont think that embed all is in flash MX, because by default it embeds the fonts, unless you use device fonts.
    I got it to work sort of- I clicked on device fonts on the publish options, but I dont want the fonts to be aliased, I want them to be sharp, like an html document.
    Originally I just made the text in photoshop and saved it as a gif, but that too became aliased somewhat.
    this is very frustrating.

Banned
    Static text is automatically embedded. Device fonts are not embedded. And dynamic text you have to manually embed as I described.

If you want to have an aliased text effect, use a pixel font, which under certain restriction remains sharp and crips even when embedded.

Something inside the array is causing the fonts to not appear.
    Because when I test the individual movies everything is fine.
    The text is in a masked area in the array.
    Even the pixel fonts wont appear, unless I set them to 'static text' and then they are anti-aliased.
    What are your thoughts on why the text doesnt appear?

Also, I made the text blocks into gifs in photoshop and imported it into flash- I thought that would work. It is still slightly blurry, is there a way to make it perfectly crisp? It really looks like crap w/ any smoothing.

Banned
    Make some .flas available to me!

how would you like me to get the FLAs to you? I can email them, theyre small.
    thanks!
    Justin