dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: 2advanced V.4 Premiere

question authority
    text in the news is still antialiasing

Originally posted by pixelranger
    A) I'm not some cocky arroagant dude. I'm just an average guy, with average skills, but who works hard and is lucky enough to work with some talented people. So please when you say "Those guys are sooo arrogant" think before you write that next time. Sure I voice my opinions but I like to consider myself pretty down to earth.

B) No the video is not a case study. It was going to be a case study but we didn't get it written in time for launch. Sorry we were busy planning a fun party for the community and also have a ton of client work that kept us busy. Therefore I changed the text now to reflect what it is..but it will again be considered a "Case Study" once the content is written. Until then...its a Demo Reel.

C) The text in the company section started crisp. The movie clip got accidentally moved a few hours later. The movie clip was moved back into perfect position and fixed. Sorry for the mistake. Everyone's done that before right?

D) 1024x768. Well I've been either a professional designer, HTML ***** or lackey in this undustry for about 7-8 years now. Even back in the day... I do not think I have ever seen one CEO, CF0, or important player of a company run a resolution at 800x600 since about 1997. Those 50% statistics are coming from some place that gives free stats to people on Geocities and things. I can get you the stats monday on what percentages visit 2A and let you know.

As far as FK being the influence for some of those changes. Sorry mg33 but you are wrong. It think this honestly is about my first trip in to the Coffee Lounge to even read anything here. Please try to not be so Arrogant as to think you have the power to change a site. (snickers)
    Hi.

i think you are cool
    I can only postulate the probability of performing at a paramount level of perfection praised by the pulchritudinous paragon whose only practice is to preserve such a paradigm.

Originally posted by pixelranger
    D) 1024x768. Well I've been either a professional designer, HTML ***** or lackey in this undustry for about 7-8 years now. Even back in the day... I do not think I have ever seen one CEO, CF0, or important player of a company run a resolution at 800x600 since about 1997. Those 50% statistics are coming from some place that gives free stats to people on Geocities and things. I can get you the stats monday on what percentages visit 2A and let you know.
    As I think I said previously, if you can justify from a business perspective to not design at 800 x 600, more power to you. However in my own experience I have seen some very senior managers from some very well known companies who are still complete luddites and run a default system at 800 x 600 - as an example, and one you may have heard of, Toyota Australia.

So I guess some of us may have a different market than you. Oh, and I'd trust the hundreds of sites that all quote similar figures out there from thousands of others sites than any one web log. You'd be foolish not to.

As far as FK being the influence for some of those changes. Sorry mg33 but you are wrong. It think this honestly is about my first trip in to the Coffee Lounge to even read anything here. Please try to not be so Arrogant as to think you have the power to change a site. (snickers) [/B]
    And maybe that comment is why you get accused of arrogance. An honest but mistaken assumption by someone and you want to call him arrogant for it?

Oh, and if that was an attempt at humour, my apologies, but it really didn't come across as such.

Sorry PR, but I would love to have some of the feedback that's been posted here about a site I did, yet you always seem to want to come in and make an excuse or justify something that really, just don't matter. Learn to take it as it is, honest criticism from some very experenced designers, and a lot of young people who one day may or may not be designers, who ALL have as valid an opinion as yours. Maybe one that you decide not to give so much weight to due to business reasons, but that's your choice, just as their views are their choice.

You do good work mate, but learn not to be so damn precious about it. It ain't easy - believe me, I know - but it'll help you in the long run.

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by TheOriginalFlashDavo; 07-20-2003 at 09:31 AM.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

Passionate about 2A pixelranger's Avatar
    And maybe that comment is why you get accused of arrogance. An honest but mistaken assumption by someone and you want to call him arrogant for it?

Oh, and if that was an attempt at humour, my apologies, but it really didn't come across as such.
    In America a "Snicker" is a sort of laugh. Therefore when I say (snickers) at the end of the sentence I was alluding to the fact that I made that comment and laughed as a joke. It was a friendly poke at someone who is known to be arrogant themselves. I'm sure you've noticed as much about mg33. It was a joke. Move on.

[i]Sorry PR, but I would love to have some of the feedback that's been posted here about a site I did, yet you always seem to want to come in and make an excuse or justify something that really, just don't matter. Learn to take it as it is, honest criticism from some very experenced designers, and a lot of young people who one day may or may not be designers, who ALL have as valid an opinion as yours. Maybe one that you decide not to give so much weight to due to business reasons, but that's your choice, just as their views are their choice.

You do good work mate, but learn not to be so damn precious about it. It ain't easy - believe me, I know - but it'll help you in the long run.

Cheers
    Dave [/B]
    Ok so you are basically saying that people are not allowed to come here and answer questions or offer their own opinions if they were creators of a site. So you are just supposed to be able to preach to the crowd proclaiming your supreme knowledge of 800x600 standards and everyone should begin chanting "YES FLASHDAVO...YES FLASHDAVO...." I mean cmon bro. Just because I work for a company I'm not allowed to offer my opinion? Thats just ridiculous. Last time I checked this isn't a dictatorship and you aren't the dictator. If you notice I didn't sit there and tell people to like anything about the site. I didn't sit and say "YOU MUST LIKE THE RED..WHY DONT YOU" I didn't try and persuade anyone of anything like you claim I do. Somone pointed about 1024x768 (who..I have no clue). I simply said our clients and potential clients are not at that resolution anymore. Someone pointed out text errors on the site. I explained to them why they happened.

Anyway... quit holding me to some higher standard. I'm just an average bloke looking to make friends and interact with peers on a message board. Thanks for trying to take that away from me. And I'm sorry you find me "foolish". I rather fancy myself to think things through before I do things. But..I guess you like going around calling people names and such.
    Last edited by pixelranger; 07-20-2003 at 01:12 PM.

Is this a 2advanced thread or a fire storm?

*flame*

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Pixelranger,

When I said, "As always, this is possible proof that critiquing sites here can make a difference. " I hope the large laughing mouth emoticon signalled that the intent of the sentance before it was to be humerous and sarcastic. I also didn't mean myself only, I meant the way Flashkit serves to let people give feedback and receive feedback.
    How does anyone here know you or others you work with are not browsing through threads about 2Advanced just to see what's being said about the site launch, coming across some comments on a section of the site that isn't working correctly, and it's corrected because of the comments?

Also, funny thing is, 2Advanced set themselves up for high expectations, and that is warranted. People have always seen good work and good sites from them. So to come across some problem with the site surprises people, don't you think?

In any regard, the site is really nice. I think it's grown on me. I was glad to see more client work listed. It's definatly a better site than any previous ones.

no hard feelings,

mg33
    The Atlantic Divide My band here in Chicago, USA. || We also exist here on myspace: myspace.com/theatlanticdivide

Newsweek Conventional Wisdom Watch

...unofficial version

mg33 /\

respected FKer tries posting helpful advice on hyped release of new 2A site

pixelranger \/

respected designer takes it too hard, bashing mg33. CW thinks PR should enjoy his party, he deserves it

When you click Portofolio, then click "Sort Project menu" then "Videos", I clicked the BacardiDJ Reel, but the Taig Khris website displays to the right instead lol...just thought id point that out for yall, 2A.

cool reel anyways.
    "Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip" -Homer
    "Whos your daddy and what does he do?" -Arnold S.

I appreciate Tony & Pixelranger coming by the boards to talk about the new 2Advanced site. I know they take a lot of "heat" from people on the boards. But regardless of whether I like the new design or not, the 2A people do good work.

Thanks.

Señor member
    Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    Is this a 2advanced thread or a fire storm?

*flame*
    Sadly there's not been as much constructive posting as I would have hoped to have seen for a such a topic covering the new website from what I am sure many will agree are an industry leader in both quality and promotion.

I feel quite sorry for the 2A guys having to read some of the vitriolic posting about the site (don't get me wrong, there has been some interesting comment too) but it's a real shame when there's so much that can be learnt from these guys at 2A, perhaps you might find something inspiring about the site itself (I personally like the colours and definitely think the site will grow on people) or perhaps the marketing of it and the "release" marketing of the new site.

As industry leaders of course the "feedback" and posting is probably going to be more intensive than for your average home users site posted in the site check forum but I don't think there's any real need for some of the posting that's taken place so far (no names, no pack drill).

Whether you like the work or not, I feel that having people of Shane's experience in the industry is a great benefit for the flashkit forums. Try to play nicely!
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Although I think the new site is, well, not exactly "pioneering", I do agree that thier skill is wonderful, and it is a pleasure to have such talent here on Flashkit.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

Originally posted by jamble7000
    Sadly there's not been as much constructive posting as I would have hoped to have seen for a such a topic covering the new website
    Do you seriously believe that? I would LOVE to have this amount of free user testing and feedback for a site that I was a part of. That's really what I don't understand. Seriously, any comment - if taken in the right way - cannot be anything but constructive and positive.

[i]...from what I am sure many will agree are an industry leader in both quality and promotion. [/B]
    And I agree, which is why I would have expected a little more ability to accept the comments for what they are - people's opinions, neither more right nor more wrong than their own.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

Originally posted by TheOriginalFlashDavo
    I would LOVE to have this amount of free user testing and feedback for a site that I was a part of. That's really what I don't understand. Seriously, any comment - if taken in the right way - cannot be anything but constructive and positive.
    the above is a truth I agree with 100%.

Seriously, people stating that the site didn't live up to the hype - I'm guilty of that - can not really be seen as negative comments. That's just personal tastes. And with something that's such a highly visible object on the web, it's going to gather fans and critics like a moth to a flame.

Apparently, they're doing something right; otherwise, people would just ignore them like some of the other sites that go through versions, and no comments are made about those sites to this scale.

Either way, this is all free publicity and what not for them.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by TheOriginalFlashDavo
    I would LOVE to have this amount of free user testing and feedback for a site that I was a part of.
    This is a good point. For the most part, the criticisms were constructive and direct - Member's expectations were raised with the hype (arguments of "direct marketing to an audience" do include the members addressed in the pre-launch posts of parties and such on the boards, I'm assuming), and many felt that the site did not live up to the hype.

Given that, most people who post on the boards either get an "I love it" or "I hate it and you" response to their site checks - to get this amount of constructive criticism is a blessing not often granted to anyone but the larger companies - see how Macromedia responded to criticisms of their site redesign (though, granted, they called theirs a beta).

I can understand defending your work, but since we are all professionals here, we understand that everyone makes mistakes. To think otherwise would be buying into your own pre-launch hype (or arguing that some of the flaws that members pointed out that were subsequently fixed were not because of user testing seems to imply that the site was intentionally launched incomplete and without proper Q/A).

heh... coming in late here BUT...

This site is a classic example of what happens to any artist- be it a musician, painter, and now even web designers- when their popularity hits mainstream. They become a walking parody- try to be too trendy, lose innovation, and just try to imitate what they once were. People get sick of this style, and look onto something else.

I mean really... "prophecy"? A futuristic Tokyo? Ninjas? Seems quite... unoriginal, trend whorish, and something right out of a manga produced by a 14 year old. No, I have no quips against the Japanese or their culture, just the insertion of it seemed so utterly blatant and poorly executed... the site just came off feeling corny, trendy, dumb. The site is becoming a parody of itself!

Remember, the key to be cool is to be unique- don't try so god damn hard by imitating what's already been out there.

Just meh incoherent two cents.

I concur.

Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    I concur.
    stop saying that...

Originally posted by bvgroote
    stop saying that...
    I concur with bvgroote

I concur with CVO Chris

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

i conquer with gerbick
    Last edited by Nionicle; 07-21-2003 at 01:55 PM.
    I can only postulate the probability of performing at a paramount level of perfection praised by the pulchritudinous paragon whose only practice is to preserve such a paradigm.