dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: charging for consultation?

charging for consultation?

A client wanted to meet up near where he lives, so I had to drive for almost 2hrs plus 3 hours of consultating.

How much should I charge for the travelling, e.g. mile by mile?

EDIT: I am in UK...

cost of gas + (hours of consultation x hourly rate)

thats what i would do anyway
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

good point, MG315.

The thing is I don't know how much the cost of the petrol is...

I think it is standard in UK to charge for mile by mile but I don't know how much is it? 50 pence per mile or what?

Developer
    Yea; I know theres a government set rate here in the states (37 cents/mile). Probably something like that there as well...

Re: charging for consultation?

Originally posted by tonytryout
    A client wanted to meet up near where he lives, so I had to drive for almost 2hrs plus 3 hours of consultating.

How much should I charge for the travelling, e.g. mile by mile?

EDIT: I am in UK...
    Personally, i charge my full consultation or meeting rate for the drive time. Figure this: your time is valueable. By having to drive two hours to meet with your client, that's two hours of time that you did not have to bill to another client. If they want to capitalize your time, you need to charge for it.

I have a lower rate for meetings and travel, but i still charge for 100% of my time.

As far as travel expenses go, i usually don't charge for driving expenses, but do keep the records for my taxes. I do negotiate reimbursement for airfare, hotels, and things like that though.

d.
    dlowe93

right, but sometimes that's also the cost of doing business (driving from location to location).

sometimes contracts will already have clauses outlining that if you charge them your full hourly rate then you forfeit collecting mileage and gas expenses...(of course, if you're makin a bill an hour then it makes sense...)

Originally posted by erova
    sometimes contracts will already have clauses outlining that if you charge them your full hourly rate then you forfeit collecting mileage and gas expenses...(of course, if you're makin a bill an hour then it makes sense...)
    That's what i'm saying.

d.
    dlowe93

Originally posted by erova
    right, but sometimes that's also the cost of doing business (driving from location to location).
    Two hours seems a bit excessive though. You should get something out of that.

yes, 2 hrs is a bit excessive and the meeting itself was not necessary.

I did not have to travel all the way to a place where he lives -- in fact I did not manage to get back home till 12am.

Personally I thought it was a waste of time and would have liked to see my driving troubles to be paid for.

The big question is... how much? I don't want to rip him off.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE

Charge for 5 hours (3 + 2 travel) hey if he doesnt like it get someone closer!!!!!! Charge what you feel is FAIR and REASONABLE. As long as you feel you are not ripping the client off and putting a reasonable dollar value on your services. Hey fair is fair surely travel should be compensated. But at the same time if your hourly consultancy rate is $200 per hour it may not be fair to charge the client this fee. I suggest you think carefully and negotiate some sort of trevel fee, lets face the client aint going to argue if you say place a twenty dollar an hour fee for any travel. It comes downt o a bit of common sense on both parts. Work a price thats fair for both.

You should have probably let him know up front that you would charge him though.

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    I agree, you should have informed the client of your costs before getting in the car....

MORE THAN JUST $$$ OF PETROL

This issue is more than just the price of petrol. This is about professionally operating a business, what if you get kick backs from this guy and end up doing three or four jobs in the area.
    Also this aint more than the price of gas, hey sure the drive was cool getting out of the house, taking a freind for the drive, having laugh along the way this is about your business time.
    You will also find out there is no use working a fee based on the price of gas because most places I have herad that pay a $$ per mile for gas incorpaorate wear and tear $$$ on top.
    Consultants I know charge from the time they leave their door to the time they get home!!!!!!!!!