A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Text Button Activation - HELP... Please!!

Text Button Activation - HELP... Please!!

I have the text "Click Here" setup as a button with up,over,and down actions that change its color. It works just fine.

My problem is that it only works when you are EXACTLY on the text with your mouse. Is there any adjustment for proximity sensitivity so that the user doesn't have to get exactly on the text to have it highlight?

I know that I could just make it a graphic...but I would rather have text because I am considering converting it to dynamic text later.

Thanks in advance
    J

That is what happens when you make a button from only text...here is a way to fix it...

Change the text buttons to just text...(don't make them buttons)

then create a new button that is about the same height & width as the text. In the button time line, drag the key frame from the over state to the Hit state (there should be no frames in the other states...)

this will make an "invisible button"...this will eliminate your problem & will allow you to change your text to dynamic text later on if you choose...
    Last edited by iguanagirl32; 07-18-2003 at 11:37 AM.

I am using invisible buttons now.. but they don't change the color of the text. It does expand the hit radius of the button, but it doesn't allow me to change the text color.

am i missing something?

No...sorry forgot about that part...hmmm

well, you could put a box that is the same color as your background (so it won't be visible) behind the text on each button state...

you should still be able to change it to dynamic text...

FK Newb Beater
    Hello,

Forget about the invisible button over your text button. Delete that.

Right Click on your text button and choose edit. you have four keyframes; up, over, down and hit. In the "hit" keyframe, draw a square solid box over your text. Then try it agin...it should work
    Just because you changed the code, doesn't mean it's yours

Most Recent Work:
    Commercial tanning beds website

You are the man. That worked great.

At first I tried to put the box in the UP and OVER frames and it didn't work. But, once I created a keyframe in the HIT frame and put the box there it worked. I only needed the box in the HIT frame.

Wonder why it only works in the HIT frame..... do u know?

Thanks again !

the four states of the button, work as their name implies.

the up state is what is shown when the user does not do anything with the button (not over it or pressing it)
    the over state is what is shown when the user moves his mouse pointer over the button (eg you can change the color of the text or the text itself)
    the down state is what the user will see when he presses the button. And finaly but most importantly the hit state which determines the active area of the button (you could have a small text but the area where the button would be active could be the whole stage)

If you leave the first three states empty and only draw somthing in the hit area you have an invisible button in the shape of what you draw in the hit state.

hope i helped
    ~m@gma~