dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple and Netscape downhill :: Microsoft uphill

Apple and Netscape downhill :: Microsoft uphill

<rant>

In this day and age of when people should know better about things like the constant security issues with Windows and the occassional blue screen of death (BSOD), and the rampant fanaticism of Apple users, you still have things like the rumoured end of Netscape and Apple sees it profits decline 41% and more people are converting from Linux to Windows 2003 Server and how a year later, Apple's Switch campaign really didn't help, because they lost users... why are people in droves rushing to Windows?

It's insecure, it's a problem sometimes, and above all, it's not as innovative as they claim. It's (win2k/winXP/win2k3) are good OS's, I'll give them that. But sheesh... Microsoft is making more and more money...

I guess people are content to complain, but not do anything about the status quo!?

bleh.

</rant>

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Go windows! Woo! Goal!

1 in every 4 copies of XP is haxxored anyway, and that number is only gonna go up since more and more people are going to use KaZaa and the like. And since Mac's OSX is a little less prone to pirating(yarr), eventually Mac sales will increase.

I'd have to agree about MS products not deserving the top spots of their buggy, overselled products..

However, people with their practical minds (like me) cant really do anything as individuals but complain and go on using them M$ products.. This is because, buying a PC isnt a joke.. you want to make the most of it by availability of softwares and such.. I myself prefer a MAC.. in fact, I LOVE MAC computers, with their slick designs and all.. But what I'd like more besides a Mac is, the ability to play what technically EVERYONE is playing.. Use softwares that EVERYONE is using.. not be limited to

"Oh, well, i cant. it's not available on my Mac"..

ANother thing is, Apple-Mac brand is gaining strong popularity by its campaigns at the XtremeGAMES audience.. Skateboarding idols boasting about their apple laptops and such.. Although, i normally would like this because it means more Popularity= more Supported Softwares, thus, making a mac more acceptible..
    However, i'd have to admit that WINDOWS OS has established a strong majority... ANd for some programers/developers of web applications like me, we think it's wise to design/develop for the most popular OS only..kinda like, it's "ok" to say "for windows OS only"...
    But if mac comes into the bigger scene... im afraid that we would be strongly obligated to make our proggies compatible with mac as well.. and i know some of you understand how PAINFUL it is to make one thing compatible with a lot of things (hardware,specs, OS's).. plus the IT market today doesnt pay that much.. so it's gona be more work for just bout the same income..

(i hope i came clear here.. im kinda sleepy)

cheers!

Tea

PS
    I LOVE XP!! I've had the best experinece with it!! THey did it right this time.. although, i dont quite fancy it phoning home though..
    Last edited by Tea_J; 07-18-2003 at 11:36 PM.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by Tea_J
    PS
    I LOVE XP!! I've had the best experinece with it!! THey did it right this time.. although, i dont quite fancy it phoning home though..
    Yeah, I thought XP was over-rated, until I used it and it's almost flawless.

And I also agree with the second part - there's as small a public window on this machine as is possible.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

I agree, as you know gerbs I have complained about Windows many many times, but like I have said I can't switch because there is only software avaliable for windows. Mac needs to do something about it, heck even if they have to release a ton of free software to get people to migrate over it would be worth it.

I agree XP is nice, but its not 100%.
    John Starkey: So what if I have had sexual relations with Saddam.

Looking for a webhost, paid, free, or dedicated? Check out this thread, to get my reviews.

See...I personally HATE XP. I'm working exclusiviely on Mac now and I wouldn't turn back. Sure we don't get the best games in the world, but I have never had a crash on Illustrator, Photoshop, of Final Cut Pro since I switched to Mac. That's good enough for me.

why do you hate XP? its the best OS windows released thus far. I dont really about the games you get really, Im just worried about my main software, such as max. Its not a game, in fact, its quite popular, but not available. Secondly, Macs are expensive...and its a pain in the ass to upgrade parts of it, such as hard drive, processor, mobo, etc - you have to buy a completely new one - and I just dont like that.

fospher, I got an Apple G4 cube circa 2000 that can still run the newest MacOS without incident. I've upgraded it over the years, but it's not cost me nowhere near as much as my PC's that have gone from P3's to P4's, and from SD-RAM to DDR-RAM, and from Athlons to AthlonXP.

As far as OS's go, I find fewer faults with Win2k, than with WinXP (dude, the Berkeley raw socket implementation alone is enough to where WinXP will not get authorized for use in the Federal government in sensitive areas... it's bad, insecure, and I can remote control an out of the box WinXP SP1 install easily)

My statements above are mostly to point out that despite MS's constant security issues, people trust their information to an OS that's about as secure as holding a million dollars in a paper bag in the rain.

And it's not like they have anything in their mind other than profits. Not the customer.

I've upgraded it over the years, but it's not cost me nowhere near as much as my PC's that have gone from P3's to P4's, and from SD-RAM to DDR-RAM, and from Athlons to AthlonXP.
    From pics that I've seen on apple's, and my friends' apples - they all seem so compact - not the "neat" compact, but the "if you switch any parts in me I wont work" compact. Do you have to go to a retailer to get it upgraded? Or can you do it yourself? is it easy? Can I get some windows port for it(I've heard of virtual PC, but on my friends mac, it ran really slow)? Can I contact adobe and ask them to ship me out a mac version of PS hence I already have the PC one(Im really asking - do I have to rebuy the software I already have)?

Im a curious george when it comes to macs, gerbmeister - and when u said its easy to upgrade - it got me interested.

I've done all of the upgrades in my own house. upgraded the ram to 1.5gb, upgraded the hard drive to 120gb, upgraded to an DVD Drive, added Airport (802.11b), installed a 1.2ghz processor, and changed to a GeForce3. Honestly man, it was all easy... and it's not as compact as say, the iTX boxes I've seen my friends have.

so yeah, they're easy honestly. but I think the G4 1.2ghz is the end of the road

so for my next project, I'm buying/loading up a G4 motherboard I just found

About the software, it matters on the vendor and product. I still keep a windows box around because of my 3D programs not all being on Mac and I'm getting used to the alternatives.
    Last edited by gerbick; 07-19-2003 at 01:24 AM.

Cool, thanks for the info man.

Im thinking of buying a manufactured box next time - and im thinking either alienware or mac. Once I get enough money to buy a mac - Im not going to buy it, im gonna buy a moped - but a mac might be next on the list.

question authority
    I dont think Apple really has anything to worry about.

Because they build their own hardware and software, they occupy a niche which M$oft will never be able to compete with.

1.5 billion PC's
    25 million Apples

Niche doesn't even begin to describe what they've become.

Señor member
    I must admit that until my motherboard died the other day I've been delighted with my PC running Win2k Pro, I've never had a BSOD or any real problems a quick reboot has not sorted out. My computer is off the road at the moment and I'm struggling to get it working again without losing my hdd contents but overall I've not had a problem that would make me honestly consider switching from Win2k.

I'd be happy to own a mac but the honest truth is that while it's not beyond my current bank balance to buy a new mac, I just see the real need for one personally so I'll be sticking with MS for the forseeable future.

It was sad to see the AOL destruction of the Netscape team, it's a good browser and a real viable alternative for the masses to Opera (terrible imo) or Mozilla (ok but I prefer IE myself) or the countless other wierd little browsers.

I guess it's no different to other industries, people buy what is commonly available and what is most cost efficient in most cases that is Windows of some sort and a PC. Apple for me spend too much time building beautiful and powerful machines which simply don't compete on price with high street (let alone custom built) PC's these days.

I have to admit I've considered Linux but as you mention Gerbs, a lot of people tend to be happy with the status quo and there is always going to be an inertia to change for most every day users. I'm sure the day will come when Linux is much more popular than at present and people will change (or MS will work harder to compete) but I don't think that day is just yet
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Originally posted by onlinegs.com
    I agree, as you know gerbs I have complained about Windows many many times, but like I have said I can't switch because there is only software avaliable for windows. Mac needs to do something about it, heck even if they have to release a ton of free software to get people to migrate over it would be worth it.
    umm... i think its because the evil that is bill gates descreetley puts in a 'bit 'o extra' cash to make the software microsoft exclusive!
    he does it with his big fat x-box anyway!

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Originally posted by fospher.com
    Go windows! Woo! Goal!

Yupp

Your average Joe doesn't care what's on his computer system and since he's used Windows before (either in school or somewhere else) he'll choose that over something he has not tried before.

I've been running Win2k Pro for ages and, truth be told, I can't even remember the last BSOD I got, or any error message for that matter.

Perhaps it's the constant Microsoft bashing that is making them more successful. Any publicity is good publicity.

And, although rare, M$ does make some good products (such as the X-Box).

So lets all stand together and say it loud and with pride :

"We LOVE Micro$oft"

M'on the microsoft!

Just give it up son...
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Originally posted by gerbick
    1.5 billion PC's
    25 million Apples

Niche doesn't even begin to describe what they've become.
    crack?

I run win2k XP and OSx/9 on various computers and I have to say XP works best for me, there are things about the apple which are so much better, things you look at and you can tell it was made with 'love' but it's also idiosyncratic and, in my experience, way buggier than 2k or xp.

I work with windows most of the time and at least 2 apps i use regularly don't have mac versions.

I wonder if apple will go the way of struggling gateway and start making more consumer products like plasma tvs to open new revenue streams.

Least bugs & crashes : MAC
    Availability of softwares : PC
    Number of Options : PC
    Beauty and Design : MAC
    Popularity (not being alone in your community) : PC
    Wide range of parts/hardware and upgradable thingies : PC
    Support : PC
    Cost-Effectiveness : PC
    etc etc...

and.. i dont know about you guys, but, a few crashes here and there IS A SMALL PRICE TO PAY for all the available softwares, and games and support, and hardware and.. well, you get the point..