A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: undeclare variables error (MX)

maker of abstract sh*t

undeclare variables error (MX)

Is it possible to somehow make MX give errors (or at least warnings) when you use undeclared variables or properties, or at least methods!!!

The amount of time I lose (and hair I pull out!) trying to debug something not working and find out whats wrong, only to realize hours later that there isnt anything wrong with the logic or algorithms etc. but it turns out its just a little typo error in the name of a variable or method etc.... e.g. MovieClip.Coutner instead of MovieClip.Counter.....

I want it to say immediately (as soon as I press ctrl+enter or debug etc.) that there is no such property instead of immediately creating one and initing it to zero!!
    the "option explicit " statement in VB was perfect....I wanna have to explicitly declare all my variables and properties and methods.
    thx

Former Member now elsewhere
    No, just look in the debugger to see if any variables are set as "undefined". Sometimes, that can take a while to run doan.

NCD

Guess What
    debugger even with that you are limited to find the UNDEFINED, I'd say hope less !
    you've asked for it don't be pissed

maker of abstract sh*t
    bugger!
    thx anyways

I also posted on kirupa and got an interesting reply....it doesnt exactly solve the whole problem but kinda solves half of it, if anyone is interested you can check out the thread here...

http://www.kirupaforum.com/forums/sh...886#post257886