A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to get into the industry?

How to get into the industry?

I am a recent college graduate, and am looking for design related jobs in NYC. I have applied to many studios through online postings, but am yet to hear any replies...

Just wondering if ne1 has any pointers in getting a job in the web design industry.

thx

Hey, I live in the nyc area but I don't know of any studios that would require anything. I'm in there everyday right now for school (I go to Parsons for a summer class) and the best way to get into the industry is to probably freelance a little bit and get a portfolio of actual work and then studios will most likely take you in.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

where did you graduate from? i just finished up at SVA and theyve got a website full of good job postings. looking places like that is good because the type of people who post there are actually looking for someone in your situation (recent grad), making your search easier. the first place i applied picked me up, so there's definitely work out there. if youre looking for freelance in NYC, check http://newyork.craigslist.org , theres some good stuff on there, but it can be a little frustrating if you dont have much of a portfolio. just keep applying and in the mean time try to build up your portfolio. good luck.

I graduated from Cornell
    but that doesn't really help
    since I graduated with a Microbio degree

use a creative placement firm for temp and contract jobs...aquent and randstad might be good starts...