A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: looping music between 2 pages

looping music between 2 pages

i'm a self-taught novice at flash 5 & mx.
    i'm making a start or title page for my dallas cowboys fan site,
    ( www.dallascowpokes.com ) that's going to have a short movie that opens the index.htm page when it finishes.
    my question is, the backround music/wav track that plays w/ the movie is several seconds longer than the movie. is there a way to make the track continue or stream into the next .htm page??

thks in advance for any help,
    paul u.

i'd make a main swf into which the intro loads AND the music loads in a different mc, then when the intro ends have a _root.mc.loadMovie("restofsite.swf"); into the same mc the intro is, but leave the music mc alone. only problem with that would be making sure the music starts at the same time as the intro. maybe in the main swf make a global variable that doestn let the intro or music play till theyre both loaded. for example in the main swf, on the first frame:

_global.loaded=1;
    _root.mc1.loadMovie("intro.swf");
    _root.mc2.loadMovie("music.swf");

and in the intro and music swfs:

_global.loaded++;
    if(_global.loaded==3){
    play();
    }else{
    gotoAndPlay("1");
    }

that way the intros wouldnt start till both were loaded. although you might need to code it differently, i hope that at least gives you an idea
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

------
    is there a way to make the track continue or stream into the next .htm page??
    ------
    if you are trying to play sound across HTML pages and not Flash pages, then your only option is to use HTML frames.

Create a hidden frame, load the flash movie in this frame and allow it to play automatically.

Its not such a good idea to stream sound while other things are loading, such as a new web page, so if you can use a download sound or a downloaded loop. This way the sound is already loaded and can play in the background as the next web page loads.

If you try and stream, there will not be enough bandwidth for both stream and new web page for dial up users, resulting in a broken audio stream and a new web page that takes a long time to load.