dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CRT vs. LCD

Big boy member

CRT vs. LCD

Hello People,

I am looking for some opinions to assist me in my monitor purchasing decision. I have been doing mad research the past month or so on CRT's and LCD's and my final step before buying is to get some human hands on input.

So the question is pretty cut and dry. For graphic / web design, which is better. Form what I have read a CRt is beter for richer colors and seeing the full spectrum, but I have to admit I REALLY like the idea of saving all that space with the LCD. I will be doing a lot of photoshop work so if the LCD's flake out on color iin a big way I will go for the CRT.

So, do any of the designers out there use LCD's or are they prety much a "no no" in the world of design and editing?

Well, once while working with a pro photographer i asked him the same question and he pretty much said the same thing (that crt is better, in terms of colors and depth specially for photography) but im actually working on a Lcd and have had no problems with it so far, dont know if it is because im used to it, but is ok, cant complain.

Big boy member
    Yheah,

everyone is sayiing LCD hands down and even saying the newer ones colors are richer than CRT's. How long ago did you work with that photographer when he said that?

Not so long ago, a year and 3 months exactly, i honestly dont think the difference is THAT big, maybe is because of what youre saying, about the colors, didnt know that, can u have acces to both and try to work with the same image on both?

I say go with lcd.
    Last edited by phreakdevil; 07-20-2003 at 10:57 PM.

I too have been pondering this. I'm not too sensitive with regards to color, color balance, etc. but the reason I'm not going the LCD route for now is the resolution.

I work at 1600x1200 and most LCDs in my price range don't support a native resolution this high. For me, until an affordable LCD is native at 1600x1200, the decision is to stay with CRT.

Just my 2 cents.

In a death match I'll put 100$ on CRT. I work for a Digital Imaging house and we use CRT's running on Mostly Macs for the best color possible. Try Lacie Electron Blue and Sony trinitron CRT flats. LCD's are good for palette display windows...

Just telling you how the pros do it.

I just recently put myself through the same decision process. I choose this Sony Pro P 82
    It took a good week to get used to. But now, I wouldn't trade it for any CRT at this point. Too many advantages for my use, space being primary.

My search process did proove one importand point: not all LCD's are created equal.

Good luck
    Last edited by hothousegraphix; 07-23-2003 at 04:47 PM.