A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Stream a series of images on demand...?

Stream a series of images on demand...?

I know that this is a horse that has been beaten before, but....

I have about 25 100-150k images that I would rather send to a specific location (x,y) in my Swish movie, on demand. The idea is that I do not want to make a movie (1.5M). I want a small movie 50k, that the viewer can launch, then by clicking a button in my movie, view the next image after it is d/led from my site. I know how to do this with an audio file, but the audio file plays in the background.

Anybody dealt with this before?
    "Some people just don't get it." - Carl Tice
    Geocaching?

Carpe Diem - Moderator wolfgross's Avatar
    Can you compress those images to a smaller file size (in SWiSH)?
    If not, your best bid is probably making each of your images a seperate movie (with a little preloader) and then use the "load/unload movie" option to view each one seperatly.

btw, I like your M.Escher triangle avatar

wolf

Wolfgross

I really can't compress them without losing to much more than I am willing to give up. These images all started out as 700k images, and to reduce them any further would.... well suck...

I was thinking of the load movie/unload. But I thought we had an issue with where the movie would end up being positioned within the first movie?

I will take a closer look at it. I just had gotten a little lazy is all.

BTW - Thanks for the avatar comment. It is one that I have been using for a year or so in my Geocaching hobby... kind of the trying to find something, but not quite seeing where to start or end....

Also I am embarrassed at how long it has been since was a "regular" over here in Swish-Land.... eagerly awaiting v3....
    Geocaching?

here is what you do:

1. Make your main movie...Put a preloader for the music. And have the little buttons for pictues on it.

2. Add several BLANK sprites to your main movie. Title them whatever. MAke sure you have one sprite for every picture.

3. Put your other pictures into different movies. 1 picture, 1 movie. Make the movie a little bit smaller than your main one. (for aesthetic reasons)

4. Now go to each of your sprites in your main movie. Give the load movie command. Select the movie of the picture you want. Make sure you click the into SPRITE checkbox in the actions window for the load movie.

-OR-

1. If you are making a website, have another window open your pictures.

-OR-

1. Give up right now. Just stop. Convince yourself the public doesnt want you pictures and move on.

What I would choose: The first one!

Swish Image format

Hope you dont mind me intruding...

As a new user to swish (love it) what is the best image format to import, I have tied png etc but the final swf file is far too big, which is best, jpg, gif, bmp, that will keep a good res but not big "heavy" ?

Thanks

Carpe Diem - Moderator wolfgross's Avatar
    png is good, just use the jpeg compression within SWiSH (click on "properties" of the image)and recompress in jpeg, 60% usally will give you acceptable quality and the file size will reduce greatly.

wolf

Sorry I didn't respond right away. The loadmovie (into sprite) solution was the key I needed to jog my memory...

Here is the end result:
    Project - Stream Images
    Geocaching?