A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Hang up problems with Swish-for over a year now!

Hang up problems with Swish-for over a year now!

Greetings;

Following is an e-mail I sent to Swish support. I had already tried everything in their response (update drivers, update Windows, etc) none of which has solved the problem.

I am trying to learn Flash instead, but man....what a headache!

One last plea for help....perhaps something that I have overlooked, or just a plain ol' miracle.

Thanks....Terry

*************E-MAIL TO SWISH SUPPORT****************

"I have had Swish for over a year. It has always crashed (at least once an hour). Yesterday, I downloaded and installed the latest build. Still crashes.

Crashes occur with small simple files (text and simple graphics only, around 20K) to more complicated files (around 50meg). Doesn't seem to matter what I am doing or to what.

I have two licenses, and Swish crashes on both machines. No other programs are running and I turn off all background stuff.

I have Photoshop, Flash MX, and Adobe Illustrator and they never (or rarely) crash.

Both machines run Windows 98 SE, 512m RAM, over 5gig available on hard drive. Crashes seem random and not related to any particular task or event.

Yesterday I lost a LOT of tedious manipulation on a small file, dispite trying to save every 10 minutes. I cannot continue to work like this and I would appreciate any help you can give me on this.

I have reviewed the boards at Flashkit and have tried some of their suggestions, to no avail.

Please help.

Thanks.....Terry"

Fort Collins, CO ~In step with the steppe
    I think your problem is not Swish related. The reason I feel this way is because I have used Swish on Win98, Win2k, WinXP and just don't have the problems you discuss. Well, I can get Swish to crash when I open a bizillion other programs...

Go out and buy WinXP, format yur HDD and I'll bet all your problems go away and you'll be much happier in general.
    —Flash Buddy
    ------------------------------------
    Real Life Has No Reset Button
    Secure Affordable Web Hosting

swish runs perfectly on win 98 se, which was (and is) an excellent os. you don't have to get win xp (although it wouldn't do any harm ), but i'd say your computers are a bit shaky. perhaps you've installed some buggy software on both pcs?

also, how often does your swish crash? it crashes on my pc now and then (about every two weeks), and it's always when the pc had been running for many hours, with many programs having been launched and shut down again.

however, if it's annoying for you, have you thought about installing a new system, or perhaps even reformatting, installing swish only, and checking how often (if at all) it crashes?

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, my maim machine is new and only has Photoshop, Flash MX, Illustrator and Swish on it with new hard drives and fresh install of Win98 SE. No internet connection so prob no virus.

I guess I must assume it is NOT Swish, since so many others do not exhibit this problem.

Well, on to Flash!

Terry

BTW, FLASHHQ, you live in Cambria? We are looking to buy a home in the next couple of years up there. Been going to Cambria since the day I was born in 1953. My dad owned property in Marine Terrace right on the ocean, but sold it back in 1957! Still vacant though. How do you like it up there?

T

Fort Collins, CO ~In step with the steppe
    Yup, I'm a Cambrian. I'll PM you...
    —Flash Buddy
    ------------------------------------
    Real Life Has No Reset Button
    Secure Affordable Web Hosting