A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: loadMovie help

loadMovie help

I've got a simple movie that loads external .swf files in individual frames. The problem I'm having is that the external clips are large files (400-500k) since I'm actually making a music player.

The whole system works fine of using this code in each frame that needs an external file loaded into it:

• stop();
      unloadMovie(1);
      loadMovieNum("clip url", 1);

The only problem I have is that when a user selects 1 frame, the movie starts to be loaded into the main .swf, but if the user then steps forward a frame, the next movie starts to load in as well. This can cause band-width problems for modem users.

Is there some script that allows the loadMovieNum action to stop, ie. to cancel the loading of an incomplete movie rather than waiting for the whole thing to load.

Thanks in advance and any help is much appreciated.

Well, you do not load movies into frames, u load them into levels, which is like layers but in runmode.
    The user does not select frames ? I dont know what you mean by that,
    but if the user, say click a button to move to another frame in the movie and then your script want to load a new movie, Then why dont you put the code u allready have on the button,
    unloadMovie(1);
    loadMovieNum("new clip", 1);

If I completly missunderstood your question, then explain further.

What I meant is, that in each frame of the movie, an action, unloads level 1, then loads in another movie to that level.

The problem comes when simultaniously (sp?) trying to load multiple movies at the same time as unloadMovie doesn't cancel incomplete downloads, it only removes the 'loaded' movie from the current level.