dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: streaming media question

streaming media question

I have a client who wants to have streaming video on his site. He is building a kennel where people will leave their pets when they go on vacation. He's installing cameras in all the dog boxes and wants people to be able to view their pets while on vacation via the internet. I dont know how to do this so i'd most likely outsource the setup, but i need to get an idea of the costs involved. What is the approximate cost of streaming media. It wouldnt/shouldnt be too good of quality because i dont know anyone who goes on vacation and brings a cable or dsl modem. I talked to tony novak and he said it would cost $6K/month, but that doesnt seem right. that seems like what it would cost to stream perfect quality video or something. So does anyone have any experience in doing this and can tell me whats involved.

(oh and no one say, "you shouldnt have taken the job if you didnt know how to do it." The client just told me he wanted a site for his dog kennel, then in the meeting he informed me of the streaming video. I told him i dont know how to do that so i'd hafta outsource that part and he's fine with that. we just need to establish an estimate cost)
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

Developer
    A T1 is about $800 a month right? Plus some server (cheap pcs and flashcomm perhaps?) Or go with something like media temple. How many rooms / kennels / cameras?

Sorry for only suggesting flashcomm. I'm not up to speed on other streaming / push-pull technologies. and your footer is too big...

To stream live I believe you need the Communication server or something like that. if you only need, say 1 image every five seconds you can use a webcamera with free software (www.download.com)

The Flash file is real simple as its just set to reload the same image each 5 seconds while the webcam software uploads a new image ( with the same name), also each 5 seconds.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

ok thanks, i'll do a little more research on both of those options and provide my client with the information. thanks

(fixed the sig)
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100