dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What to use to import graphics to flash?

What to use to import graphics to flash?

I don't know if I am doing it wrong or not, but I have problems importing any graphics made outside of flash.

I had freehand to start out and it wouldn't import into flash identically to what I made in freehand. Then a friend suggested correldraw, so I got that and I have the same problems. What I import into flash is sloppy looking, if it looks anything like what I made in the external program at all.

Any help? Are there settings I need to use? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Thanks,

Brian Chaney

First of all what version of these products did you "buy" ? I know the user manual for Flash 5 ( Page 157) has info on importing Freehand/Illustrator files) did you check the manual?

You may want to post your files here so we can help determine what the problem is.

I have the flash mx studio, and the manual has importing information, but there isn't anything about the problems I'm having. I'm sure I've done everything correctly...

in publish settings, you can set jpg quality to 100%

hope this helps

Well, I'm trying to export it as a vector graphic so that the background is transparent.

ok then, import into flash as a .png, then trace bitmap, and play around with the settings until you get what you want

Hi, stay away from coreldraw, i usually use illustrator for that, the old cop and paste and never had any prob, also check that your file is RGB, i suggest u "buy" illustratot for vector art/graphics, anyway ive used freehand and it works good for that too, i guess im just used to illustrator.

Hope that helps.

There's nothing wrong with CorelDraw. I've been using it since version 8 and stopped upgrading at 10. It even has an export option to export as swf. Why not try that.

Heh, yeah i take it you havent used for print jobs, u cant link a pic only import it to your doc, imagine the ussage of ram when u have 4 pages per file with 10 pic of 30 meg or so, it keeps crashing and crashing, the virtual memory is a pice of crap, and printing with it is a pain in the *** u get like 20 ghosts or pictures u have allready erased.

Yeah i dont like corel.

phacker,

My experience with importing images into FLASH is that your image property settings (in FLASH) depend on the on what file format you're attempting to bring into flash; i.e. .gif, .png, .jpeg.

For instance, if you created a .gif in PShop, optimized for web and saved it, then brought that image into flash, many times it looks blurry because FLASH has a default the smoothes the outline of the image. Try unchecking that option then view the image in a published movie. This step is important especially if you're importing a .gif with text in it; otherwise, your text will look like ka ka (a nice technical term).

Another thing I've experienced is, if you import an image with indexed color settings (a .gif) and then use FLASH's image compression, you need to use the lossless compression if you don't want to alter the images color. If you use FLASH's jpeg compression set at any setting on a .gif or .png, FLASH will alter the color slightly.

Really, the best way to achieve the kind of clarity in FLASH you're attempting to achieve...Experiment...Experiment...Experiment!