A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Why won't anyone help me??

Why won't anyone help me??

Hi!

I don't know why, but no one wants to attempt to answer this question, and I really need an answer so I can get my client's website done....it is getting later by the hour!!

I need to know how you would incorporate an image surrounded by text in an external textfile and what script you would use to make it load into a movieclip.

Thank you!!

I dont get the first part. Is the end result a swf or a jpg image, that you want to load. You want a image surrounded by text FROM a external textfile? Is that a swf file with a image AND dynamically loaded text surrounding the image?

Heres some general info on loading external files, code is the same for jpg and swf files.

There are two ways of loading external files into Flash. Either you can load swf files into _levels or into movieclip targets.

_levels only exist in the Flash player. They are like layers but for swf files The Flash player is like a overhead projector where the plastic films you put on top of each other are like the swf files in the player. There are 16000 available levels

//To load a external swf into a _level from a button. The number 1 being the level to load into.

on(release){
    loadMovieNum("myExternalFile.swf",1);
    }

Movieclip targets are what it sounds like. A empty movieclip placed on the stage just for the purpose of loading a swf file into it. The advantage is that you can place it anywhere, manually ( as opposed to swf's in _levels) and also can control what othe objects shoeld be on top or beneath.

Usually you give the movieclip an instance name of container.

//To load a external swf into a target movieclip from a button ( both being on the main timeline ).

on(release){
    container.loadMovie("myExternalFile.swf");
    }

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

this is just a plain old external textfile, written in Notepad; it is not a swf. So, the end result would be a textfile with a jpeg in the midst of the text (the jpeg itself I converted into a swf file). the reason I don't want it to be a swf is cause I can't get a swf to load properly.

I have a scrolling txtbox in my all-flash website in a movieclip called "myMC," instance name "container," and textbox variable "txtbox" I have external text file "txtbox.txt" that has several variables for different buttons on my site. When one of the buttons is clicked (Services), I want it to pull text from the variable in my txt file "&Service" and within this text that is displayed in my scrolling textbox I want there to be a picture.

So I have in txt file: &Service=blah, blah, blah (my text) blah, blah, blah. &image=pic.swf then there is more text. On my button in my movieclip, I attached: on (release){ txtbox=Service; txtbox = image}

Result: when tested, the scrollable textbox skips all text before the &image=pic.swf and the first text displayed in the textbox says "pic.swf" and then the rest of the text is displayed from the textfile.

What can I do?

Help--Please!!

can anyone else give me an answer?? this is holding up my client's site to be uploaded to the internet!

You have to ADD the variables to be displayed.

The action...should probably be..

on (release){
    txtbox=Service+image;
    }

...if you want more than one variable to display in the box.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

Something like this?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.
    If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!