dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Please Critique - Do I have what it takes?

Please Critique - Do I have what it takes?

Ok, I'm fresh outta college and getting ready to release my website and start trying for a "real" job. Looking at this site (mind you it's not finished) do you think I have what it takes to be a graphic/web designer?

Please critique what I have so far and tell me what I might be able to do in the way of improvements. Also, excuse the banner accross the top, I am using a free webhost right now until I get an issue resolved with my normal host.

http://www.crazydave.onestop.net/threelefts.htm

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your critiques!

I'm not sure what to say here. There are some good things, the there are a lot of bad things.

The loading for start takes a while on a ADSL connection, but the problem isn't that, it the fact that it loads to 50% before you even know that it's loading. It's a big black screen.

Try putting all the images and large content after your loading area.

The orange text is a little hard to read on light grey in the sub areas, you might want to boost the darkeness or lessen the opacity.

As far as design goes, try and looking at some of the leading web design companies out there and take some notice of colour combinations, fonts and imagery as to what is the current trends. Your site tends to look about 4 years old at the moment.

Please don't take this as an attack, get back in there and work hard, you already appear to have a good knowledge of flash, you just need to apply the design to it.

Good luck.

I don't that as an attack at all... this is the kind of critique I want. This is my 1st time on these message boards (or any flash message boards) and as I look around at what other people are doing I am realizing that my site is definitly a whole different ball of wax. I must say I am impressed at what I see and feel like I want to start over from scratch... the only thing is I am so pressed for time. I have very little to show and I need to get something completed so I can send out a resume or two. But I don't feel what I have here is going to get me a good job. What to do, what to do hehe...

Keep up the critiques... I may scrap it though.

P.S.
    As for the preloader thing... I can't figure out what's wrong with it. I just learned how to impliment one today and it keeps doing that 50% thing. *shrug*

Good, concept just not as nice as it could be.

Nothing bad.

If you have to put up something maybe you could just do a contact page and that is it. Spend as much time as possible, you might as well put the max effort to come out with something great instead of something that is just okay.

i gave up. the i pushed the link, waited for about a minute, went and got a soda, ice, glass, came back and was less than a 1/4 loaded. the speed of your free provider sucks. 1.5KB/sec. sorry.

Tips

I agree with the rest. No design company is going to wait 3 minutes for a site to load. Now you might be saying "well they'll have high speed". That's not always the case. The last company I worked for still doesn't have high speed... it's simply not offered in the area.

As far as the site goes, I think it's a good start but you definitely have room for improvement. Like the others said, visit other sites in the "cool sites" section and take note to color, font, layout, and transitions. The color/font/typography combo will be your main focus... it makes or breaks a site.

DEFINITELY ditch the free hosting company. You can go to hostica.com and get $1 hosting... or pay $6 and get great hosting. It looks 10 times more professional... and your loading speeds will be much quicker.

All you need is a portfolio/contact section (you can avoid the portfolio if you don't have good work to show yet). Again, spend a full 2 days putting it together and your bound to come up with something "cool". DEFINITELY don't copy another site, but there's no reason you can't get ideas.

When applying for a position always send a hard copy resume along with a email resume. If you get a call or an interview (the hardest part) immediately send a hand written thank you card. This will definitely show you "care about the position". OH, and for the love of god, don't carbon copy a bunch of design firms your resume (I've seen it done ).

Good luck! Hope this helps.
    Dylan

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The free host I am using is TEMPORARY... like I said in my original post, there is a small issue with my normal host that I am working out so I can get my site up with a real host hehe.

As for my site, well I have been looking around at other peoples' work and I have begun a new, more modern looking, site. I'll post what I have sometime later today or maybe tomorrow... just to give yas an idea where I'm headed and get some early feedback.

Thanks again!