A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] Flash Player 7 Beta

Flash 7 Player

As many of you may remember when the Flash 6 beta hit and then the initial release was made Flash MX was reveiled shortly after.

Is Macromedia going to release Flash 7, or maybe they'll call it Flash MX2 or something, anytime soon. As much as I hope they are, I also hope they are not. Has anyone else noticed that there are never "upgrades" to the existingd Flash code, only the player?

Why is that?

If anyone knows what's up please reply. Thanks
    Jim Almeida
    http://www.atechcommunications.com
    http://www.nunrg-records.com

Master Poo Flinger

Re: Flash 7 Player

^^^^^^^ i'd like to know too.

i don't want to buy a new IDE just because it went up a version if there are no relavent or new features that would impact the compiled swf. i'd prefer that the current IDE's compiler/player/reference would get patched instead.

but, i would buy the new version if i could use the AS editor alone outside of flash and if it remebered that the library is a panel and should always be docked if i want it to.
    monkeys rawk

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    The most important thing to do right now is to make sure your existing projects work with the updated player. If you look around, you can see many of the new features in the player.

Macromedia XML News Aggregator

Flash Kit Wish List

Official Feature Request

Anyone who tells you when the next version of Flash will be released will probably be breaking a NDA, even yet, they probably don't know themselvs.

I don't recall Flash MX being reviled, I remember the plug-in needing some fixing, and I remember it being different than working in 5, but I don't recall overwhelming complaints.

I'm not sure what you mean there are no updates to the "code". The Flash program itself? The Actionscript? I don't believe there have been updates to the program specifically, but the debug player was updated as was the reference materials. Both of these added new Actionscript code and features to MX since it's release. For instance, on the release of MX you could not get ID3 info from mp3's. Now you can.

Of course Flash 7 (MX 2, whatever) will have new features over MX. Every version of Flash has had new features, why would this one be different?

How would you use the Actionscript editor outside of Flash? Actions have to be placed on frames, buttons, or movie clips. You also can't test your actions without running a Flash movie. What's the point in using the editor separately if you can't test your code?

Anyway, to get back on topic, some of the new snippets of code I'm seeing for Flash 7 look very intriguing. I can't wait to test out the actual program when it comes out.

For instance, on the release of MX you could not get ID3 info from mp3's. Now you can.
    that was what i was going to say - there have been several new methods added after the release, albeit somewhat insignificant.
    Of course Flash 7 (MX 2, whatever) will have new features over MX. Every version of Flash has had new features, why would this one be different?
    a lot of people would prefer native object improvements instead of silly new features.
    How would you use the Actionscript editor outside of Flash? Actions have to be placed on frames, buttons, or movie clips. You also can't test your actions without running a Flash movie. What's the point in using the editor separately if you can't test your code?
    i would also like this feature. you could use it in conjunction with #include. you could have reference, syntax hilighting, code formatting without messing around inside flash. for testing, MM could easially provide command line compilation directly from flash.exe

anyway, i wont be testing the new player, although the NetStream and NetConnection objects look interesting, along with new error handling capability of some sort. id like to know what "ASSetNative()" does, but thats not really the purpose of beta testing
    This information is subject to change without notice and
    is provided "as is" with no warranty.

How would you use the Actionscript editor outside of Flash? Actions have to be placed on frames, buttons, or movie clips.
    Does this mean you've never seen a flash.as file?

Wish

My wish list:

1. Select which font characters I want to export in library - not the whole thing.

2. Access to the video API methods available on the CommServer.

3. Ability to script frames dynamically - labels, actions, movieclips.

4. A wider stage in my movie clips - so I see what I'm working on.

5. Ability for flash to see a .swf sequence the same as it would a .png sequence and import to them to the timeline - not layers.

6. More font/text control - kerning, etc.

7. Applescript capable - or at least a list of mouse actions so I can automate more processes.

8. Ability to save my panel sets to include the library - please?

I don't believe this should be a 3D program - our experience has been the neither Director or Flash can handle enough polygons to make realistic models anyway.

I would like the ability to control my default image quality from Fireworks - so I don't have to go back through the library and set "use defualt image quality" when I'm doing enormous image sequences.

Alpha channel on video would be nice too - but I don't think the .flv codec can produce this.

I think it's debatable what added features are "insignificant" or "silly". The significance of a feature is really dependant on the projects you work on. ID3 info could seem stupid until a music company approaches you with a wad of cash and a tight deadline. Object improvements may be great for someone developing an internet app, but useless to someone working in an animation house that would like more control of tweening and keyframes.

Wow, here's something cool I discovered today....go to a page with a link within a text box. Right click on the link. There's a new context menu: "Open, Open in New Window, Copy Link". Nice!

Got a link to that? So far, I have found no text boxes that will scroll with the wheel and no right clip options on any flash sites I've seen. Maybe the movie has to be made in MX2?

http://www.usableflash.com/ Right-click on text links.

Look at the links in the first page of this thread to find links where you can use the mousewheel.

Hmmm.... Went to the right click link and the option did come up. I didn't use them, but clicked out to the side and immediatly got this:

"Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

And let me tell you, it closed alright.

None of the scroll wheel links worked for me either. I had tried them the other day.

Bah, humbug....

Send Macromedia a bug report. I couldn't get the scrollwheel to work on the Mac, but it works fine on my work and home PC.

wow, working damn nice on my comp.

ie6 (myie2) winxp pro with every update, fp 7, realy looking forward to mx2 .

( x x ) ( x x ) ( x x ) xxblindchildxx's Avatar

outta place

sorry for being abit slow with the whole convo,
    but why does the mouse wheel not scroll down to the end?
    whenever i use it, the text goes down to the bottom but the bar at the side does not.
    is that just me?
    bLIndchILd
    Ross McDowell | WannabeDesigner |
    T: 020 7916 8269 | E: blindchild17@hotmail.com

Danny Gomez Creations ® cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin
    Originally posted by rdoyle720

How would you use the Actionscript editor outside of Flash? Actions have to be placed on frames, buttons, or movie clips.
    Does this mean that you have never used registerClass?
    **OOP!!!***

Heres a good as editor
    http://www.bomberstudios.com/scitefl...ash_1.5rc1.zip
    Last edited by cosmiceye; 08-12-2003 at 08:42 AM.
    ..:: P S Y T O P I A 2 0 0 5 :::..
    . . . view the psytopia reels _____RIVEND REEL | GOMEZ REEL_____ . . . . . . . . . . .

Danny Gomez Creations ® cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin
    For those with interest of testing the fplayer7 AS -->

http://www.quasimondo.com/qm_versionconverter.php
    ..:: P S Y T O P I A 2 0 0 5 :::..
    . . . view the psytopia reels _____RIVEND REEL | GOMEZ REEL_____ . . . . . . . . . . .

Originally posted by rdoyle720
    Wow, here's something cool I discovered today....go to a page with a link within a text box. Right click on the link. There's a new context menu: "Open, Open in New Window, Copy Link". Nice!

now that is an improvement! nice one!

[Devil in DarkGreen]

disable right click menu!!!!!!!!!!!!

DS
    Please resize your footer. GMF ™

[Devil in DarkGreen]

changing screen resolution!
    Please resize your footer. GMF ™