A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Change color text

Change color text

Is there a clever way to change the color of text after it has been selected? I have a button and I want the text to change to black after it has been selected. I know that I could simply switch out the text but I would rather leave the same there and just change the color. I have explored formStyleFormat but have been unable to make it do anything.

Thanks

Do you mean once the text has been highlighted by the mouse?

This is probably a little hacked together but it sets the colour of whatever text gets highlighted to black

code:

highligted = new TextFormat(); // a new textformat object
    highlighted.color = 0x000000; // black text

this.createTextField("myText_txt", 1, 10, 10, 100, 20); // create the textfield
    myText_txt.text = "some text to test the highlighting";
    myText_txt.textColor = 0xff9900; // by default the text is orange
    myText_txt.autoSize = "left"; // fit the textbox to the text

myText_txt.onMouseUp = function() { // when the mouse button is lifted do something
    this.setTextFormat(Selection.getBeginIndex(), Selection.getEndIndex, highlighted); // apply the highlighted text format object to the selected text
    };
    Mouse.addListener(myText_txt); // make the textfield listen for mouse events (so it knows what onMouseUp is)

You could also add key events to the textfield (in the a similar way by making the textfield a listener for the Key object) for if the user highlighted text using the shift and arrow keys.