A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SWiSH, what do you think of it?

SWiSH, what do you think of it?

I'm not gonna be popular when stating this:

I love SWiSH

They have a new version with script that can be compared with Flash MX. Only I find it easier and faster .
    What do you think of SWiSH?

I know there are lot's of kids that use the built in effects (explodes and stuff) way too much but you can do magic thing with it.

Would you use their new tool as it will be a fraction of the cost of Flash MX? Or do you think it's a kid's tool?
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

Last edited by Markp.com on 07-23-2003 at 02:25 AM

FK's Offical Avatar Hijaker Dr.Funk's Avatar
    Never used it... Can you create text effects from variables?

Loadvariables i mean?

If so ill buy it!
    'of course this land is dangerous; all of the animals are capably murderous.... na na NA NA na na NA NA na na' - Janes Addiction
    'if you want a friend feed any animal' - Janes Addiction

Even if there is only one, unique set of possible laws, it is only a set of equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations, and makes a universe for them to govern. why does the universe bother to exist? Is the ultimate unified theory so compelling, that it brings about its own existence, or does it need a creator, and if so who created it? - credits SH

It's in public beta and yes it can load variables; just like Flash.
    Some info here
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

Interaktiv Xperience (TM) Nightfall's Avatar
    I always thought of it as an amateurs tool, kiddies who want to make those long boring intros with flashy text and repetitive techno. Last time I tried it was version one. looks like its a little more advanced now. I think flash mx is still the best solution for creating flash content, but swish 2 is getting there

FK's Offical Avatar Hijaker Dr.Funk's Avatar
    Originally posted by Nightfall
    I always thought of it as an amateurs tool, kiddies who want to make those long boring intros with flashy text and repetitive techno. Last time I tried it was version one. looks like its a little more advanced now. I think flash mx is still the best solution for creating flash content, but swish 2 is getting there
    Thats what i always thought! Im looking for new ways to play with text after i import. I doubt swish can do more than flash but ill look through FK and the swish site.

*i doubt ill ever get it*
    'of course this land is dangerous; all of the animals are capably murderous.... na na NA NA na na NA NA na na' - Janes Addiction
    'if you want a friend feed any animal' - Janes Addiction

Even if there is only one, unique set of possible laws, it is only a set of equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations, and makes a universe for them to govern. why does the universe bother to exist? Is the ultimate unified theory so compelling, that it brings about its own existence, or does it need a creator, and if so who created it? - credits SH

If flash was a book, then swish would be "for dummies"...

Its fine if you aren't a "propper" flash developer.

Its fine if you aren't a "propper" flash developer.
    That's exactly what I mean.
    SWiSH Max (3.0) can do almost all the things Flash MX can do. Have one of you guys looked at the features SWiSH Max has?
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

Originally posted by Vincent26381
    That's exactly what I mean.
    SWiSH Max (3.0) can do almost all the things Flash MX can do. Have one of you guys looked at the features SWiSH Max has?
    No, you will never be able to do all the things that flashmx can do in swish Thats laughable

Apart from the morphing you can use the whole flash MX script, nothing to laugh about it. Maybe it's good to find about it features before making comments.
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    There are lots of stuff i would use swish for with flash. do not use it to much (bring these apps together and you can make a great combination). I remember Xdude had a txt fx in his intro with the quoted thst "Swish", just to make a statement for not to overuse it. I have seen what it can do these days and its a lot more than just a txt fx tool , the first edition was primary txt and i remember ALOT of sits that you could tell was made with swish.

Combine it with flash or the other way and the result will
    be nice. I also think that its a loong way for the swish team to be on the frontline with macromedia, but again im not sure they think they will join the race .

Ill say congrats to the swishteam and to what they have done much easyer for me and others making cool fx and for bringin the filesize down to a minimum for import.

Would you imagine that this is a PWD post ?

Maybe you should always PWD?

Nice post
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

Nah its rubbish... Swish will always be playing catchup to flash, because its not made by macromedia... so if they introduce a new feature, the swish plebs have to go write a whole new batch of code...

Its a nice thought, but swishers will always be one step behind people who buy and use the real flash

When the action script for custimizable right-click menu's and support for scrolling for Flash player 7 comes out (haven't seen it yet)

I'm sure I can use it in SWiSH, no patch needed. It uses the same script methods as Flash MX. So call it an undocumented feature.
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    maybe

I had a litle "fight" with Mr Petley over the filezise trouble, this is noe a problem anymore and you still can do things that flash cant. (if you dont want to stay up all night)

I had a swish demo of the first version, now i use SWFX 2 ( i won it in a competition)

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Originally posted by GMF ™
    I also think that its a loong way for the swish team to be on the frontline with macromedia, but again im not sure they think they will join the race .

Mark, i ment the same as you here they wont catch up and i dont think they are trying to

Originally posted by GMF ™
    Mark, i ment the same as you here they wont catch up and i dont think they are trying to
    Love you too ya drunken bum!

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    hehe, nice to know

Pssst i love your beer

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by Markp.com
    No, you will never be able to do all the things that flashmx can do in swish Thats laughable
    I am going to enjoy watching you eventually eat your words mister McP.

Don't worry, you can just bring a knife and fork...I'll bring the crow.

I would think that you had learnt one of the big lessons in life by now....'don't knock it until you try it'

but hey, you keep plugging on with Flash......np

david p.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    I recommend getting both. I love it (from an animator POV). With only flash you can do everything, but it takes a while. With SWiSH you can do the effects that would've taken hours in flash quickly and easily. And if you get past the "kiddie" presets and actually screw around with the math of SWiSH you can do some really amazing stuff. Bottom line is they work great together but on their own, SWiSH is poo.

How is MOHO coming along these days?