A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Site check Pleaase!!!!!

Site check Pleaase!!!!!

This things not quite finished yet, but I'd
    really appreciate some input (good, bad, evil... whatever)
    Actually, it's the criticism that I'm most
    interested in. This is an attempt at simplicity,
    but I'm not quite sure that I got there.
    Please take a look and let me have it.

Thanks all,

-Dustin

http://www.finelinedesign.org

definately need to up the frame rate but otherwise good

thanks sintech, your right... definately looks better w/ a higher frame rate

-D

Dustin-
    Cool website.
    STUFF I DONT LIKE
    -Font is kinda iffy though...i think you should stay away from serif fonts on websites but that's just my opinion/preference.
    -I think the settings page is a waste. I guess it does show your actionscript capabilities but the normal guy who wants a website wont be impressed.
    STUFF I LIKE
    -Transition is beautiful corresponding to "a fine line"
    -perfect optimization
    -you acheived the "simplicity" effect you were going for
    -i like the rollover photo in the contact page
    -The square theme
    http://www.justinrath.com
    http://www.pylit.com

I don;t like tha animation bar at the top with the mask tween constently moving, I agree with the font, try to use a differant one

other than that it looks good
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

despite the fact that your portfolio is bare, and there's loading times for blank pages, the website is pretty decent, despite the fact that navigation (especially fast navigation) means some eye pain.

I am close to agreeing on the font, just the sans. I rather like it on the front page quote, but not really anywhere else. The idea was to get an architectural style hand written font, if you guys know of any freeware fonts around that may fit this description (and look better) please let me know.

The settings page is definately a waste at this point. The idea is to create a project section for clients to view info about progress, view drawings etc, which would require a login, and login settings. The other reason was the Cad style cursor, which would prob bother some... hence the option. Anyway, that's where the settings page came in.

The moving mask at the top... Here's why I like it: Many pages have text describing what a company does, but static text doesn't always catch the eye. I think that the motion actually beckons the user to read the text. Did you all read it? It's been suggested that it be changed to a "focus" style mask rather than a "revealing" one. ie
    the mask appears to increase the alpha to make it ledgible. I tried that, and it seemed to make things "not simple". Anybody got any ideas.

Is my frame rate too fast now?

I really appreciate the input... it really helps. Please keep it coming guys.

Thanks again,

-D
    "I'm an idiot"

C'mon fellas, if you pound on me for this site... I promise to do the same for yours if you leave it. I know this isn't an extremly "flashy" site, but it is the most difficult site I've ever been asked to create. The thing is full screen flash, even the scrollbar... Check my source if you don't believe me, and it acts just as an html site would. Imagine the possibilites with a setup where you can control the entire browser window... (layout, position, scrolling etc.) and at any size... without a popup window...?

Thanks again guys,

-D
    "I'm an idiot"

splash looked nice.

but then the site wasnt very good. best of luck if you decide to redesign which i recommend
    I can only postulate the probability of performing at a paramount level of perfection praised by the pulchritudinous paragon whose only practice is to preserve such a paradigm.

Just doesn't look right... I would recommend a radical redesign too.
    Please pay a visit to Premium Flash, for great premium flash templates, loaders and buttons!

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Anybody got any killer ideas or just a complete redo?

Thanks again,

-D
    "I'm an idiot"