A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macromedia's new strategy

Hybrid View

Macromedia's new strategy

Many people may not like this strategy of MM selling their products but i think its fair. Please tell me what you think about it.
    http://www.actionscript.com/archives/00000539.html

_
    I think this is a good move for macromedia, may cut down on the large amounts of "designers" users pirated software.

I dont mind having to take 10 minutes to submit some information to Macromedia.

-Mike

ShytKicka
    [mod edit]

we do not condone software piracy in any form

[/mod edit]

Originally posted by ShytKicka
    lol but what Macromedia is doing is good for them but bad for us...well us the peeps that get this stuff off kazaa...well thats all of us practically.
    Um, that would be no.

d.
    dlowe93

_
    Originally posted by ShytKicka
    this is why i said in my other posts i am stealing the flash 7 off the shelves of BEST BUY the first day its out...lol but what Macromedia is doing is good for them but bad for us...well us the peeps that get this stuff off kazaa...well thats all of us practically.
    Not us with morals, your post will most likely be removed, flashkit is strongly against warez.

Flash is used to make profit, when you think about its $500 price tag its really nothing compared to what you make with it.

-Mike

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    hmmm I think it's just more hassle for us It's stupid programs like that, that make me not want to reformat my computer when things go wrong ....

I don't really see MM's strategy as working as somethings will happen..

a) someone will crack it...thus wasted time implementing and pissing off real customers
    b) uncrackable (unlikely) and less kids have it..which = no increased profits (kids aren't going to go out and buy it if they were only out to get a free version)
    c) uncrackable and kids don't have access to it which = future generations will not have as many flash enthusiats which = less ppl buying their software in the future.

To be honest, I think that Flash's popularity has been so strong partly b/c of all these young designers pushing it. Albeit that a lot of them have pirated software, but in the future when they grow up, and a lot would probably buy it or work for a comapny that buys the software.

I give a thumbs up to MM for their studio MX ....studio mx makes it real affordable to get their products....and their educational version is a very good deal

Originally posted by rafiki55
    c) uncrackable and kids don't have access to it which = future generations will not have as many flash enthusiats which = less ppl buying their software in the future.

To be honest, I think that Flash's popularity has been so strong partly b/c of all these young designers pushing it. Albeit that a lot of them have pirated software, but in the future when they grow up, and a lot would probably buy it or work for a comapny that buys the software.
    no offense here but I think this perspective that seems so prevalent among younger flashers really isn't a sound business strategy of a public company.

i'm not sure what your'e saying erova...

but not that i support pirating the software..but what i was saying is that most kiddies with the pirated software probably aren't making money with it...they're just goofing around with it which is the first step to future users of Flash.

But now that they have packages like studio MX educational, i think that this is less the case. But seriously, with out something like the educational studio MX, i don't see a parent buying a kid the software for that price.

[edit] oh i think i just realized what you said....what I'm saying is that I don't think MM's strategy against pirating is diong anything but harming themselves and pissing off loyal customers. A better stratey would be targeting business/coporations that use pirated software. [/edit]

I heared that kids use pirated software for learning purposes.

Plus Flash MX is only around $400 in India, Since computer products are cheap here. So no need to crack stuff.

It won't work, and it'll will turn legimate users off, and over to alternative programs. Especially if an activation program has to being working in the background during the whole time you have the program open. Bad marketing decision.

Originally posted by phacker
    It won't work, and it'll will turn legimate users off, and over to alternative programs.
    Please explain your logic. How will it turn legitimate users off, and what alternative programs will we turn to?

I'm curious.

d.
    dlowe93

When I buy a book or a video I don't expect to be ask before I watch or read them to give my life story before I can do that. It would be like before you opened the book you have to call the bookstore and get an access code to open it. Or be tethered to some restriction while I use the item. And if I want to loan them to a friend I feel that's my privilege for buying the item.

As to alternatives, have you heard of Swish, LiveMotion, ToonBoom, Rave, Firestarter, and there open source svg programs being developed all the time...Macromedia shouldn't get to complacent.

For the record I have purchased 4 versions of Flash, but if they do this, I'll switch to another program, with broadband becoming more available, I get back into 3d and video.
    Last edited by phacker; 08-05-2003 at 08:55 PM.

_
    Phacker, what is the big deal? It will take you 3 minutes to type in your serial number, information and its done. It lets you use the program.

There wouldnt be anything "running" in the background, just flash running, thats it.

They are just protecting themselves from all 'ShytKicka's out there. Nothing wrong with it. 3 minutes of time isnt stopping me from buying a program.

-Mike

Originally posted by mikecoutermarsh
    Phacker, what is the big deal? It will take you 3 minutes to type in your serial number, information and its done. It lets you use the program.

There wouldnt be anything "running" in the background, just flash running, thats it.

They are just protecting themselves from all 'ShytKicka's out there. Nothing wrong with it. 3 minutes of time isnt stopping me from buying a program.

-Mike
    yes it will be great if it has no problems...but things like these usually run into problems...such as what happends if you reinstall it? Or reformat your computer? Or get a new computer? What about selling it (i.e. you buy new version and you want to sell old on ebay...or you change to a Mac and want to sell PC version.)

Sure you can go through the steps of getting it to work..but it's a hassle...you have to "transfer a license" before you reinstall the program if you're reformatting a computer.

But what if my internet is not working and that's why i want to reformat my computer? then i have to phone or go to a friends house and it's just a big hassle. Or what if i forget to "transfer a license" before i reformat? If every single program on my computer required this, it would be quite the hassle.

In no way support pirating, but I don't see this as being a positive solution for MM. There must be a better way.

I would not switch to another program ...but it would be quite the annoyance. And it just makes me not want to upgrade. I don't do too much flash, and I don't htink i'll be upgrading my MM software anytime soon....I don't see FW and DW improving enough for me to spend the money and time/hassle.

I am not adverse to registering a product I done that each time I've bought software, but if you read the article they are talking of having an activation program running in the background.

Here's a quote from the article:

"Macromedia’s FAQ suggests that the activation processes will only run while Macromedia software is running (but, really, who quits apps anymore?), and has only a minimal effect on system performance."

I am on an older PIII system and I don't know when I can upgrade, I don't need extra things running in the background.

_
    I doubt it would effect the program at all, proformance wise, most flash developers who do this commercially have pretty beefy machines anyway.

Flash really doesnt take to much of a toll on system resources. Can run photoshop, acid, along with it and dont notice a loss in performance.

In my mind having it run on the app is not a concern.

-Mike

You haven't really put it through it's paces then. I've had it crash and burn a number of times. And if Macromedia only wants to sell to the rich boys then fine, there are alternatives.

Originally posted by phacker
    And if Macromedia only wants to sell to the rich boys then fine, there are alternatives.
    Alternatives?
    Like swish? I never would use swish. Its not that flexible although its text effects are good but designing is just to hard. And im so used to the Flash MX workspace. I would never switch from Flash to swish.
    Last edited by mxkidz; 08-06-2003 at 01:49 AM.

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    I have no problem registering software I buy - the problem I have is that I have a huge concern with some program running in the background monitoring my system. There is no way to police what information they gather, except the word of a huge multinational corporation. This sounds too much like something Microsoft would do.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups