A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Any good? Please critique

Any good? Please critique

Hey everyone! I would like some input on my portfolio site I have been working on, I hope to have everything finished this week with it. I am looking for any input, I know that some links don't work, I have not yet completed everything but want general comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Site address: http://www.greyspade.com
    COMPADY^HOSTING
    www.compady.com

Mmmmm too many dots!

For the background it fits nicely but it gets a bit confusing with the rest having dots everywhere.

Al.

Thanks Al, what would you suggest in place of the background there now?
    COMPADY^HOSTING
    www.compady.com

For me personally I would get rid of the dots in the area were your information appears, I think it would look better with just the lines and grey object you have moving there!

As for the logo area I would just play around with some pictures and graphics maybe to give the place a bit of colour.

Also try making ur text dynamic instead of static and it should sharpen it up a little.

Al.

aka Sekka
    I run a 800MHz and the site is VERY CPU intensive, and I mean VERY

I don't like all the dots at all, and for the god of all things holy please disable the right click menu, I find it very irritating and VERY unprofessional.

But apart from that, good site.

I think it looks good. I agree with the others thoughts, but would add that on your portfolio section to see if you can do something better with the logos. On my screen they didn't come through right. Appeared to be very low quality. I am running 1024x768 on a pc.

hope this helps
    wd

one eyed queenslander big daddy bruce's Avatar

clarity

not bad at all...

I found that the dots became annoying after a while. Too much going on in the data area, made the info hard to read. text was pretty blurry, are you using dynamic text? If not, do.

Also, i would like to see a small injection of colour to bring the whole thing to life.
    Cheers mate

Big daddy

http://www.bluesquaremedia.com.au

agreed on the dots in the loaded area.. they are a total distraction.

I'm not sure why the site is so processor intensive... you must have a ton of alpha objects, or maybe some soften fill edges... There's not much to it, but I'm running a 1800 athlon xp with a radeon 9800 pro and I'm still getting a laggy feeling.

Transitions: you need to have some kind of transitions when you click each link... it seems like if i blink and click a link at the same time, I'll miss whatever loaded.

Dragable Box: I think that dragable box is totally unnecessary... especially with the dots in the way... i moved the box to the middle of the "loaded" screen and then i clicked the contact link and it turned into a nightmare. It seems like one of those objects that's there because you know how to do it...

Fonts: From what I can tell you're using 2-3 fonts (which is ok) but you have them in lowercase, uppercase, and about 3 different sizes each... it really doesn't leave any hints on what is a link and what isn't.

That's all i see right now. The color scheme works just fine, but you might want to take some of these other things into consideration.

Great start though, post the next step when you get it finished
    I hope i don't sound to harsh... just trying to leave "feedback"

I cleaned up the content area and added some color, please advise on what you think. Thanks so much for the comments!
    COMPADY^HOSTING
    www.compady.com

How about some transitions?

That way the site feels right now, I honestly do not see why this is done in Flash. Besides the music and the and the buttons in the lower right side, everything on your site can be done in simple XHTML/HTML. I'm on a decent cable modem connection, so I'm not sure how bad/good load times are for those on dialup, but if you leave the way the site is now, I'm sure the HTML code would be smaller in file size compared to the swf file. Who knows?

I like the design of the site. The dots (as everyone has already said) are a bit of overkill. I don't like the way your text is layed out in the "about me" section. It looks like long and confusing code with the "text + text, text" design.

Good luck.

I have not gotten to the transitions yet but will do that shortly, about the dots, what do you think I should do with the background?
    COMPADY^HOSTING
    www.compady.com

I think you need more identity - that's all

Originally posted by tweb
    I think you need more identity - that's all
    Thanks... could you please expand on that? Tonight I should be updating the transitions, might be tommorrow.
    COMPADY^HOSTING
    www.compady.com

Simplistic

You may want to look up the definition of "simplistic" vs. the definition of "simple" - simplistic basically means stupid. And I don't think that that is what you want to portray yourself as -

Okay thanks for the most recent comment, I just threw that in there, not sure what the slogan will end up as. I have added some trasnsition and would appreciate any feedback on that. I will be going through and changing some things tonight based on your previous input and any additiona. Thanks again!
    COMPADY^HOSTING
    www.compady.com